Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activation & Hacktivation Q's-- possible to check which?? your thoughts please :)

Question Activation & Hacktivation Q's-- possible to check which?? your thoughts please :)
    Ok, so i received an iPhone 3GS (pay as you go!) for my bday few days ago. My girlfriend bought it for me, and the guy in the apple store activated it for her already.

Now, redsn0w has an issue with legally activated iPhones - the hacktivation will result in "Carrier not available" --

well, i jailbroke my 3GS using redsn0w - and it was fine after, signal etc works perfectly.

i also jailbroke my mates 3G (contract) and the hacktivation buggered it up -- i had to create a pwnage image of 3.0 and UNtick activation. (pwnage doesnt work yet for 3.0.1)

What im confused over is.... is activation/hacktivation only problematic on CONTRACT phones? ive heard hacktivated devices dont always support PUSH wheres its supposed to??

I dont understand why the 3G had an issue yet my 3GS worked perfectly. -- only difference i can think is his 3G is on CONTRACT, my 3GS is on Pay as you go - both bought & activated in apple store

Both phones we're originally LEGITIMATLY activated... so why the problems with the 3G version??

So, does this mean that at somepoint i may have issues due to hacktivation?

Is there a way to see if the phone is Activated or Hacktivated??

After redsn0w, is there a way to un-activate the iPhone so that the normal activation process can take place??

thoughts anyone!??
    do'h

Quote Originally Posted by jtanner View Post
    Ok, so i received an iPhone 3GS (pay as you go!) for my bday few days ago. My girlfriend bought it for me, and the guy in the apple store activated it for her already.

Now, redsn0w has an issue with legally activated iPhones - the hacktivation will result in "Carrier not available" --

well, i jailbroke my 3GS using redsn0w - and it was fine after, signal etc works perfectly.

i also jailbroke my mates 3G (contract) and the hacktivation buggered it up -- i had to create a pwnage image of 3.0 and UNtick activation. (pwnage doesnt work yet for 3.0.1)

What im confused over is.... is activation/hacktivation only problematic on CONTRACT phones? ive heard hacktivated devices dont always support PUSH wheres its supposed to??

I dont understand why the 3G had an issue yet my 3GS worked perfectly. -- only difference i can think is his 3G is on CONTRACT, my 3GS is on Pay as you go - both bought & activated in apple store

Both phones we're originally LEGITIMATLY activated... so why the problems with the 3G version??

So, does this mean that at somepoint i may have issues due to hacktivation?

Is there a way to see if the phone is Activated or Hacktivated??

After redsn0w, is there a way to un-activate the iPhone so that the normal activation process can take place??

thoughts anyone!??
    What do you mean the 3g buggered up?

I was in a similar situation, and my friends 3g "froze" while it was being jailbroken, but it was easily fixed, and his phone is a normal contract at&t iphone 3g. I have a unsubsidized 3gs, no contract.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

by buggered i mean it wouldnt get a signal (i was on 3.0.1 - using redsn0w) .... the problem is caused (at least on Contract phone) by the phone being legitimately activated. As redsn0w hacktivates it causes issues with already activated phones. So i had "Carrier not available) -- i had to use pwnage with firmware 3.0 and UNTICK "Activate" , after restoring using the custom firmware and allowing the phone to activate normally all was good again.

Across the web its been noted that hacktivating a legit activated phone can cause problems such as no signal and carrier unavailable.
    do'h

That's weird, when I jailbroke my friends phone, his was already activated, it had never even been jailbroken before. Used redsnow, and it worked on the first try. We did leave it on airplane mode, but that's just because I didn't want him recieving any calls while we were working on it.

I'm pretty sure redsnow looks to see if the phone is activated or not, before it hacktivates. It should really have NOTHING to do with a contract. The sim itself has a contract, not the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    That's weird, ...

I'm pretty sure redsnow looks to see if the phone is activated or not, before it hacktivates.
    bloody weird then lol. But it IS a def known "issue" that quite a few ppl are experiencing. Thats how i found the solution of using pwnage and unticking Activate.

Maybe it was just a qwerk then!? who knows lol
    do'h