Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activating with a friends sim card?

Default Activating with a friends sim card?
    Hi there,

My iPhone is JB and hacktivated, running ultrasn0w and as such push notifications don't work. Apparently this is to do with the fact that my phone is hacktivated. I've looked into the Dev Team fix for this but there seem to be a lot of problems with receiving other peoples messages/not receiving your own, since your phone is sharing the same ID on the server as the other phone used in the fix. I was wondering though, since my friend has a legit iPhone contract with O2 and his phone is properly activated, could I restore my phone, insert his sim to activate my phone properly, then restore from a backup of my phone and re-JB? Or is this a ridiculous idea?!

Many thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I think it would work but once you take out your friends sim i think it would lock again.

just throwing my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by BenAHMS View Post
    Hi there,

My iPhone is JB and hacktivated, running ultrasn0w and as such push notifications don't work. Apparently this is to do with the fact that my phone is hacktivated. I've looked into the Dev Team fix for this but there seem to be a lot of problems with receiving other peoples messages/not receiving your own, since your phone is sharing the same ID on the server as the other phone used in the fix. I was wondering though, since my friend has a legit iPhone contract with O2 and his phone is properly activated, could I restore my phone, insert his sim to activate my phone properly, then restore from a backup of my phone and re-JB? Or is this a ridiculous idea?!

Many thanks
    This is what worked for me.

DFU restore your phone back to stock 3.0.1, then let it activate with your friends sim card. after its activated, and you can make calls on it, install a Push application, such as AIM, or ebay, jailbreak it, unlock it, then put your sim in. Now you can install any push app, and it will work fine on your phone.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    This is what worked for me.

DFU restore your phone back to stock 3.0.1, then let it activate with your friends sim card. after its activated, and you can make calls on it, install a Push application, such as AIM, or ebay, jailbreak it, unlock it, then put your sim in. Now you can install any push app, and it will work fine on your phone.
    Awesome, thanks for the reply. One more question - after restoring to 3.0.1 and activating with my friends sim, could I then restore my phone from a backup (to get all my texts/contacts back etc etc) before jailbreaking and unlocking again, or would this mess everything up?

Quote Originally Posted by BenAHMS View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the reply. One more question - after restoring to 3.0.1 and activating with my friends sim, could I then restore my phone from a backup (to get all my texts/contacts back etc etc) before jailbreaking and unlocking again, or would this mess everything up?
    people have been having issues with restoring from backup. (with their battery at least) Be sure to check all text messages, and do a proper backup of everything, including your contacts. When you restore as a "new" phone, the only things you will lose, are you actual settings, and text/mail. you will still have all your contacts, music, videos, etc. basically everything saved on your itunes will be transferred over.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyblue_pimp For This Useful Post:

BenAHMS (2009-08-15)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    When you have activated via ultrasn0w will this hack the phone and block the Push notifications ?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digzz View Post
    When you have activated via ultrasn0w will this hack the phone and block the Push notifications ?
    Nope, mine works fine.