Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Advice for soldier

Question Advice for soldier
    Hello all!
    My whole family just bought me a 3gs from ATT as a present before my upcoming deployment to Dahaneh, Afghanistan in two weeks...my 2nd tour
    I like to play games and mess around with it to kill time there.

I would like to unlock and jailbreak it so that I can use the local sims there (much cheaper than ATT's rate) but I am overwhelmed with where to start and what to do first. I just received this email from ATT but the phone hasn't arrived, yet:
    Wireless Phone Number
    AT&T Premier Order Number
    15 digit IMEI number
    20-21 digit SIM card number
    Follow these additional activation steps for your iPhone:
    Download and install the latest version of iTunes from Apple - Download music and more with iTunes. Play it all on iPod. to your Mac or PC.
    Connect iPhone to your Mac or PC (I have a PC) using the included cable and dock.
    Follow the onscreen instructions to sync your iPhone.
    Visit http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhone_User_Guide.pdf

So, my questions are:
    1. It's a must if I do the unlocking and jailbreaking before or after ATT's procedure above, or follow it not at all? I'm afraid they might penalize me (well my family with a expensive charge?)if they know something via the methods above. I was even confused about unlocking and jailbreaking; I thought they were the same thing. And I don't even know which to do first.
    2. After moping on the internet for a while, I found out that there are two methods (Geohot vs. DEV Team) to use. I don't know which one is more stable and which released version to use. I would like to have the better, most up-to-date one because it would not be great to have problem there(Afghanistan) with no/very slow internet around for weeks.
    3. I believe that I cover most of my fundamental idiocracies regarding this phone. Any help that steer me to the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
    4. Wish me luck and a big salute to you all!

Thank you,
    Ryan Moore, LCPL (USMC)
    Last edited by RyanMoore; 2009-08-13 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Follow AT&Ts instructions then run redsn0w to jailbreak it. After you jailbreak it, install ultrasn0w in Cydia. At that point you will be jailbroken and unlocked.

Let's us know when you get it in and we can walk you thru it. Welcome to MMi and thanks for your service

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

RyanMoore (2009-08-13)

Wow, that was fast! Thank you sir very much! I will get my hands dirty once I have the phone
    I will frequent back to look for more advice!
    Thank you much again,
    Ryan

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Good luck Marine, we all thank you and applaud your dedication. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

RyanMoore (2009-08-13)

Thanks for the picture sir! I can use it as a phone wallpaper right?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

^Of coarse, and that would be Ma'am Devil Dog, lolz Semper Fi

Thanks

Hey Ryan 2nd tour...
    good luck to you and wish you safe journeys..
    many respects..
    Ricky

10. The Following User Says Thank You to g0sbv For This Useful Post:

RyanMoore (2009-08-14)

Thanks for the wishes guys!
    Now, here comes the question... because the phone just came to the house.
    1. Where can I get the redsnow (how much$ ?) and how long do I have to charge the phone before I can jailbreak it? And should I do that with the sims in or without it? Is there a step by step instruction for such procedure? I googled a few but I don't want to join their sites because I like loyalty :
    2. If I could do it, how can I verify that the phone is unlocked when I have no other sims from a different carrier to try it? I hate to buy a sims there and find out the hard way, you know

That is all for now and I am sure I will stumble a few times since I am software challenged. A big OohRah to all of you. Thank you

Thanks

For jailbreaking your 3GS

Windows : iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.0 Using RedSn0w (Windows)

Mac : iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.0 Using RedSn0w (Mac)

Redsn0w is free and and so is the unlock. You jailbreak with the sim in the phone. Let the phone charge for 15-20 mins first. See if you can borrow a friends sim to test the unlock

13. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

RyanMoore (2009-08-14)

Great StealthBravo! Thank you for the fast response!
    Is that an Abrams M1A2 in your avatar? I worked on those beast before!
    -Ryan

Thanks

Its an old T-54 tank OohRah Bro

Aaah! Worked on that Russian beast too! But, mostly restored them to
    move them around for dummy practice...
    I found a good ol Russian army watch inside one of these tanks before, and the watch's still working, some durable stuff just like their Kalashnikov

Got it jailbroken and unlocked, I think!? Just need another carrier sims to test it.
    Is there a way to transfer pdf file to the 3gs; I have many books in PDF files that I would like to have in the phone to read. I got the app PDF pro already.
    Please help. Thank you much,
    Ryan
    Last edited by RyanMoore; 2009-08-15 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Thats awesome!

Download Diskaid

It will allow you to browse your phones file system.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

RyanMoore (2009-08-15)

StealthBravo doesn't sleep
    Awesome, thank you sir very much!

No self respecting Marine calls himself a soldier. As a Marine I find it quite offensive you would call yourself a soldier. I'm a former active duty Sergeant and if you were one of my Marines and I heard you cal yourself that you'd wish you'd never known me.

Other than that, good luck on your second tour and keep us up to date if you can over there! I wish you luck on your jailbreak/unlock!

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    No self respecting Marine calls himself a soldier. As a Marine I find it quite offensive you would call yourself a soldier. I'm a former active duty Sergeant and if you were one of my Marines and I heard you cal yourself that you'd wish you'd never known me.

Other than that, good luck on your second tour and keep us up to date if you can over there! I wish you luck on your jailbreak/unlock!
    I know I know! Even my siblings got on my case because of it! They're infantry boys but to me, we're all men of duty first and foremost!
    Big salute to you sir!

By the way, I can use diskaid or ifunbox to move files to my phone but how can I look it up in the phone while the files are in. My understanding is that these programs just allow me to use the phone as a portable hardrive to transport files?
    I moved all of my ebooks to the phone using ifunbox but I can read it with the phone or anything, nor I even know where they are
    Any help for this? Thank you in advance!
    -Ryan

Thanks

in cydia there is a nice file browser called ifile

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    in cydia there is a nice file browser called ifile
    Mr. Stealth,
    Do you ever rest? You're like Dr. Manhattan, everywhere and anytime

OK, Ifile it is!

My unlocked phone now is having a problem with itunes, when I bring up itunes with the phone connected, the programs says "ITunes cannot read the content of the Iphone "Iphone". Go to the Summary tab in Iphone Preferences and click Restore to restore this Iphone to factory settings"

Can someone help me trouble shoot this?
    Thank you,
    Ryan

I followed this: iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone ? Sky Rocket

But it doesn't help...
    Last edited by RyanMoore; 2009-08-16 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost