Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: updating unloced iphone 3g

Default updating unloced iphone 3g
    hey!

I am new to all this stuff. I recently had a motorola razr2 v9 which i used to mod off and on. I was reading however that if you have an unlocked iphone and you try to update it, it may lock.

I bought my iphone at a retailer here in Trinidad (caribbean) and im not sure if i can use itunes to update it with the new 3.0 software.

Also on cydia, if i use upgrades e.g. "ultrasnOw', is that ok? or wuld my phonoe lock?

Your iPhone is currently unlocked? Do you have Cydia? If you do not then you may have a factory unlocked iPhone. That means that you can update that with no worries.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

IT is uocked but has cydia. What do I do then?

Then when you update to 3.0 or 3.0.1 it will be re-locked. You can still jailbreak it with redsn0w 0.8 and unlock it with Ultrasn0w 0.9

Ok but wat are the odds of that working? and do the guides have the info on how to do that?

If you do it right. Apprx. 100%. I've never heard of someone who cannot unlock their phone. They might've thought that but it ends up being that they were doing something wrong.

hmm ok thanks.

btw does jailbreak means unlocked?

Can u please post the links for jailbreak it with redsn0w 0.8 and unlock it with Ultrasn0w 0.9, after updating?

And if i have an iphone 3g, does that mean my firmware is 3.0?
    Last edited by handsomemuzz; 2009-08-09 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Restoring is always an option if you make an error while trying to jailbreak and unlock so no worries.
    Here is a link that will have all the info you need including step by step instructions, pics and all the files you may need.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2009-08-09 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by handsomemuzz View Post
    hmm ok thanks.

btw does jailbreak means unlocked?

Can u please post the links for jailbreak it with redsn0w 0.8 and unlock it with Ultrasn0w 0.9, after updating?

And if i have an iphone 3g, does that mean my firmware is 3.0?
    No. Jailbreaking means you have Cydia while unlocking means you can use whatever GSM carrier you want.

Blkcadi took care of that.

No. The 3G just describes a different iPhone model than the original one. You would have to plug the iPhone into iTunes to see what firmware version it is currently on or by going into Settings > General > About > Version

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NeoNightmareX For This Useful Post:

ninja279 (2009-08-09)

PROBLEM!!!

My phone already has the 3.0 software so i didnt update. I did however use Cydia to install ultrasnOw and well i have 2 problems;

i. my phone would no longer charge. ive left it for 5 hours in the chrager and its still on red: the icon on the battery isnt the lightening bolt but rather a plug (im charging on a wall plug)

ii. When i call my phone with my home phone, it just rings but my iphone doesnt even respond. Some calls from other people work while others do not. I dont even get text messages anymore.

PLEASE HELP!

For issue #2 try turning off push. Try a different cable (if you have one) or a USB port on your computer. If that doesn't work post back.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoNightmareX View Post
    For issue #2 try turning off push. Try a different cable (if you have one) or a USB port on your computer. If that doesn't work post back.
    Well i got my phone replaced with a new one from the retailer. However, the same problem arises where i can send calls, texts and receive texts BUT I CAN"T RECEIVE CALLS!

How do i fix this please? and what is the push button?

Thanks

May be as simple as a SIM problem. Weird

noo it happens when i put in other sims as well....

it only happened after i used the wifi. i took it off and that still happened...

Its jailbraoken i.e it has cydia and well i upgraded it with ultrasnow... but no use...

please help please...

Thanks

After you jailbroke and unlocked your phone, did you sync with iTunes and use a backup?

i purchased it from a retailer already jailbroken...

and i didnt connect it to the comp or itunes yet...
    Last edited by handsomemuzz; 2009-08-11 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Dude, I'm stumped. If a fresh restore will not fix it I'd have to say it's the phone.
    I'd say fresh restore/jailbreak, still there take it back and try again. Sorry