Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Keeping apps when updating firmware

Default Keeping apps when updating firmware
    I was just curious as to if there is a way to keep all my installed apps when updating then jailbreaking

I hate having to reinstall all of my jailbroken apps (such as winterboard) every time I update then jailbreak. Is there a way around this so I can keep my apps without having to download and install through cydia again?
    1JZ-GTE w00t!

My Supra Video
    MySpace

PkgBackup! $2 in Cydia. It's worth every cent.

AptBackup! $0 in Cydia. It's worth every cent.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

Pkgbackup is way better than Aptbackup dude. You get what you pay for. Ask anyone who's used both.

thanks you guys, what makes one app better than the other though?

simplicity, quality, what is actually backed up, etc
    1JZ-GTE w00t!

My Supra Video
    MySpace

They both just make a list of everthing you have installed and reinstall them when you hit restore. Pkgbackup's list is saved with your contacts and synced with iTunes. Aptbackup requires some sshing and most of the times requires you to fool with the permissions and changing the ownerships. Not fun. Pkgbackup is by far the easiest solution. It's just not free like aptbackup.
    Keep in mind that neither of these actually save the settings of the apps. It just makes a list and reinstalls them. Which is fine.

Almost forgot. Chech out my thread from a couple weeks ago discussing the matter. http://www.modmyi.com/forums/native-...pkgbackup.html
    Last edited by Cory Gillmore; 2009-08-01 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cory Gillmore For This Useful Post:

InvisibleMonkey (2009-08-01)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

I would concur, Pkgbackup works better. Although I prefer to just install 3rd party apps manually.

thanks you guys, Cory you have convinced me
    1JZ-GTE w00t!

My Supra Video
    MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Gillmore View Post
    They both just make a list of everthing you have installed and reinstall them when you hit restore. Pkgbackup's list is saved with your contacts and synced with iTunes. Aptbackup requires some sshing and most of the times requires you to fool with the permissions and changing the ownerships. Not fun. Pkgbackup is by far the easiest solution. It's just not free like aptbackup.
    Keep in mind that neither of these actually save the settings of the apps. It just makes a list and reinstalls them. Which is fine.

Almost forgot. Chech out my thread from a couple weeks ago discussing the matter. http://www.modmyi.com/forums/native-...pkgbackup.html
    I like SSHing but then again I'm weird like that. I didn't know that Pkgbackup saves them differently like that, but now I do. I had never bought it because I had become a habitual user of AptBackup.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

No problem man. I've only been jailbroken for about 4 weeks myself. After about a week of being jailbroken and installing a bunch of cydia apps, I began wondering what the hell I was gonna do when I had to restore. I stumbled across bhzl's guide and contacted him a few times to clear some things up and have since restored both my 3G and 3GS just to see if I could do it and grab the iBec and ibss files in the process. I'm pretty comfortable with the process now. It's not very easy but it's the best way. http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...elatively.html. Here's a link in case you might need it. Feel free to contact him or even me if you have any questions about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Actually bhz1 is a girl. And a tech savvy one too I might add.
    Thanks for sharing your success story with us. Nice that you actually did a "search" for your answers.