Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why does Ultrasn0w need Mobile Substrate?

Default Why does Ultrasn0w need Mobile Substrate?
    Hi all,

My 3G seems to run fine jailbroken with RedSn0w 0.72 - until I unlock it using Ultrasn0w 0.9. After that, the springboard seems to lag intermittently, I don't have any extra daemons running, that's all that I've installed.

I've read that Ultrasn0w requires Mobile Substrate - can I still run Ultrasn0w without it, or can I remove Mobile Substrate manually?

Thanks in advance

Jez

Thanks

Ultrasn0w needs mobile substrate to run, if you delete mobile substrate, your unlock goes too.
    Mobile Substrate shouldn't cause any problems though.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@angie... Thanks for the reply but it doesn't really explain the required dependcies.

Can someone else chime in and shed additional technical details?

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

from what i recall Ultrasn0w sends a small package to boot or base data only problem is the 3.0 firmware resets this data after a few minutes so in order for the ultrasn0w patch to work it needs to be repeatedly processed.
    So in comes mobile substrate allowing the process to be safely "replayed" in the background.

If someone can confirm this. 'cos i don't actually use it and only had a basic read of its workings.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to seann33uk For This Useful Post:

Mes (2009-07-28)

Thanks for all the replies so far.

What I can't get my head around is that according to the article Dev-Team Blog - Winter Tires, it states in the fifth bullet point down 'Doesn’t install any additional daemon', nowhere in that article does it mention anything related to Mobile Substrate.

Although I do not profess to being a developer, I cannot understand why Mobile Substrate would be used rather than patching CommCenter directly - surely once Apple bring out their next update, we all now rely on the developers of not only Ultrasn0w, but Mobile Substrate to bring us a new unlock?

I am really grateful to the people who put the 3G unlock together, without it, I would still be running my N95

Your thoughts?

Jez