Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: CreamSn0w -- Custom Firmware Unlock

Smile CreamSn0w -- Custom Firmware Unlock
    Many jailbreak only because they need ultrasn0w or purplesn0w to unlock their mobile. They have no interest in the apps found in Cydia, the majority of which are of poor quality. Furthermore Cydia installs many dependencies, including an entire UNIX subset. I find Cydia ugly, buggy, and slow. Using it feels like an unpolished Linux distribution more than the pretty and usable iPhone OS version of Mac OS X. Personally, I have experienced instability just with Cydia installed by itself. Additionally, Cydia encourages installation of said poor quality themes and apps that will most likely result in the need to restore.
    The alternative to Cydia is Icy. It is a newcomer and, currently, it is quite buggy. Additionally the Icy bundle in PwnageTool is broken. It is universaly hated by the Cydia crowd and it seems that the Dev Team have not paid much attention to Icy because it is missing a lot of the UNIX subset required for complicated packages. Meaning, packages will not install, or if they do install, they will not work properly, or not at all.

If you are one who just wants his mobile unlocked without unnecessary fluff, creamsn0w is for you. It takes advantage of the custom packages feature of PwnageTool. Select creamsn0w in PwnageTool, and you will have a firmware ready for use at first boot. There will be no more hunting for Cydia packages to make your iPhone usable.

Cydia and Icy will not be installed. No visible modifications can be seen. The iPhone will behave like an official unlocked phone even though it is not. It is safe to take it into the Apple store. Their employees will not be able to detect that it is jailbroken and unlocked from just looking at it. Just do not let them restore it. You will not lose your warranty. I thank the iPhone Dev Team for creating PwnageTool and ultrasn0w. I also thank Saurik for Mobile Substrate.

Visit my blog for screenshots, screencast, and more information.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SpookyET For This Useful Post:

jaas75 (2009-07-27)

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

"Their employees will not be able to detect that it is jailbroken and unlocked from just looking at it. Just do not let them restore it. You will not lose your warranty."

Sorry but this is complete ******** - they will be able to tell and you will void your warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by IvanPK View Post
    "Their employees will not be able to detect that it is jailbroken and unlocked from just looking at it. Just do not let them restore it. You will not lose your warranty."

Sorry but this is complete ******** - they will be able to tell and you will void your warranty.
    They look for Cydia, crazy themes, anything out of the ordinary. They do not have access to the database of locked/unlocked phones. They cannot tell that you jailbroke and unlocked it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpookyET For This Useful Post:

jaas75 (2009-07-27)

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes they can - they have a machine which can tell if you have ever jailbroke the iPhone before - I have heard about it on this website. Now, whether they will take the time to actually check is another story. But they can tell if they want.

Plus, I think if you came into an Apple store in the US with lets say T-Mobile as your carrier they would be a little suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by IvanPK View Post
    Yes they can - they have a machine which can tell if you have ever jailbroke the iPhone before - I have heard about it on this website. Now, whether they will take the time to actually check is another story. But they can tell if they want.

Plus, I think if you came into an Apple store in the US with lets say T-Mobile as your carrier they would be a little suspicious.
    I don't know about said device. Never heard of it. Link?
    I think that if you speak with a foreign accent, they won't be suspicious, especially if you are on prepaid. They'll think you're a visitor with an unlocked phone.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpookyET View Post
    I think that if you speak with a foreign accent, they won't be suspicious, especially if you are on prepaid. They'll think you're a visitor with an unlocked phone.
    What??????? lmao

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

roflmao

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    What??????? lmao
    I'm not kidding. Foreigners that come into this country with iPhones generally have it officially unlocked, except for Germans and Englishman. Some stupid foreigners do exchange their unlocked phones for US locked phones. :-) It took one month of calling Apple, in one case, to get the US AT&T phone unlocked.

Thanks

I'm aware of official unlocked phones.
    The idea of trying to act as a foreigner is ludicrous but funny at best.

Thanks

It might help but if you mess up the accent then you might attract more attention to yourself

This is what happenes when Apple doesnt believe your accent and chases you out of the store..
    Last edited by Melech518; 2009-07-27 at 05:32 AM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

^ lmao. I think that is exactly what would go down

This sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Having a basically stock iPhone with just ultrasn0w in theory sound like it would run great and be much less buggy.

Serious questions here and try to respond without flying off the deep end....So you repackaged Saurik's Mobile Substrate without permission? And how do you intend on getting updates of Mobile Substrate on the phone with no apparent jailbreak or app?? Also just noticed you packaged Ultrasn0w in your bundle without permission as well??
    Last edited by Melech518; 2009-07-27 at 05:54 AM. Reason: ANother discovered theft

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Thanks

^ interesting hmmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Serious questions here and try to respond without flying off the deep end....So you repackaged Saurik's Mobile Substrate without permission? And how do you intend on getting updates of Mobile Substrate on the phone with no apparent jailbreak or app?? Also just noticed you packaged Ultrasn0w in your bundle without permission as well??
    You are such a troll. How do you know I have not asked? Don't assume. It's also open source. So one can repackage it as he sees fit. But, I did it anyway out of politeness and respect.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. With creamsn0w, only ultrasn0w uses Mobile Substrate on the phone. ultrasn0w 0.91 is actually requiring an older version than the one I packaged. So, it should be ok for quite a while. Nevertheless, both ultransn0w and Mobile Substrate can be updated with DiskAid and PhoneView.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SpookyET For This Useful Post:

kmmxracer (2009-07-27)

LOL...Me a troll? That is funny...

We will know soon enough if you actually got your permission or not, we have ways of knowing

Thanks for responding in a half mature manner

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Serious questions here and try to respond without flying off the deep end....So you repackaged Saurik's Mobile Substrate without permission?
    The man was only asking a question, you have answered it. Thanks

Let's not start a pissing contest here please. Play nice

well all i have to say is thxs for giving us more options for jailbraking our phones.

thxs
    jose

Yes Thank you for this. If anyone is wondering, this does work great. I ran in to one problem though, I tried to use a old T-Mobile US Carrier bundle .ipcc in the extras folder and kept getting errors wile trying to restore. Then I just un-installed and re-installed CreamSn0w, then made a .ipsw without the extra and it worked fine. After restore I turned off 3G and option+clicked update to the carrier bundle I like to use and everything is working great so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast