Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activating new O2-UK iPhone 3G Sim

Question Activating new O2-UK iPhone 3G Sim
    Hope someone can help with this.

I have an iPhone 3G and a new O2-UK iPhone 3G payandgo sim that gives you 12 months free Web & Wifi when you activate it. However, I think I am going to have a problem activating it.
    I purchased my iPhone 3G in America and it was originally on AT&T so I have been told that it will not activate an O2-Uk sim because the iPhone will not be on O2's database, only AT&T's.

The main question I am asking is can I put the new payandgo sim in my friends iPhone 3G (which is from UK and on O2 anyway) and activate it with that, then stick it in my own phone (which is unlocked and jailbroken)? And, if that method works, can my friend just put his own sim back in and continue using his phone as normal, or can you only activate one sim with one iPhone?

Sorry for the long winded post, just had to make my quuestions clear.
    Hope someone can shed a light on my problems.

you can try it with your o2 sim... download and install the new firmware when it asks to activate it, it should do it... if not the other method is jailbreak the phone hacktivate it and use it... but i dont see why the sim shouldnt work with the iphone give it a go first and see

iPhone? ... No?... MYphone!!!

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

Quote Originally Posted by shabz_de_don View Post
    you can try it with your o2 sim... download and install the new firmware when it asks to activate it, it should do it... if not the other method is jailbreak the phone hacktivate it and use it... but i dont see why the sim shouldnt work with the iphone give it a go first and see
    Thanks for your reply, my phone is already jailbroken and I am using a non-iPhone 3G O2 sim in it no problem at the moment.

The thing I'm not sure about now is that according to O2, the phhone has to be activated with the 3G sim in order to get the free web and wifi, I don't know if just sticking it in my phone will get the free web and wifi.

I'll give it a try anyway, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rfcg View Post
    Thanks for your reply, my phone is already jailbroken and I am using a non-iPhone 3G O2 sim in it no problem at the moment.

The thing I'm not sure about now is that according to O2, the phhone has to be activated with the 3G sim in order to get the free web and wifi, I don't know if just sticking it in my phone will get the free web and wifi.

I'll give it a try anyway, thanks.
    you may need to restore it with the sim inside the phone so when you activate the phone it'll activate the sim too... dont think it'll give much of a problem.

or if you have a custom FW install it with that

iPhone? ... No?... MYphone!!!

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

An American iPhone will not activate with an O2 SIM.
    But you get the free internet just by using it, my daughter had one in a WinMo device until they sent her a text saying 'your not using your SIM in an iPhone'
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

I have an American iPhone 3G I used ultrasnow to unlock and just used an o2 Pay as you go SIM with that unlimited web wifi bolt-on. It works great.

Yep, just done it- stuck in in topped it up and free web & wifi. Its not 1 year free web & wifi altogether you get, its 1 month that renews itself for 12 months.

You get free W&W bolt on every month for 12 months provided you top up at least 10/month
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.