Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help! Should I buy an iphone 3G or 3GS to unlock & jailbreak? Tradeoffs?

Default Help! Should I buy an iphone 3G or 3GS to unlock & jailbreak? Tradeoffs?
    I just bought an iphone 3g 8gb which I unlocked & jailbroke a week ago for Tmobile. Loved it, but it crashed and I will be trying to exchange it for another one.

I'd like to upgrade to a 16gb, but do not know if there will be a difference if I got a 16gb 3G or 3GS. Will the speeds be any different since I will be using T-Mobile? If not, do they require different software to jailbreak and unlock? I read somewhere on here that the 3GS models are unable to use wifi & be unlocked at the same time.

I'd appreciate your thoughts

Thanks

The 3GS holds a faster processor, so it's bound to be faster regardless of the network you are on. The phone can be used with WiFi when unlocked. Redsn0w jailbreaks all 3.0 devices and Ultrasn0w unlocks both the 3G and 3GS. There is speculation however that the next update (3.1) will make jailbreaking impossible on the 3GS. This of course is only speculation, but if you are going to purchase a 3GS, do it now before 3.1 comes out and is loaded by default.

Thank you. I appreciate the advice. So it seems from what you're saying, is that the unlocking & jailbreaking process is the same for the 3GS and 3G? I've just noticed in random topics people are having a more challenging time to unlock and/or jailbreak altogether for the 3GS more so than the 3G. Am I wrong?

Thanks

Yes unlocking and jailbreaking a 3G compared to a 3GS is more or less the same (for the time being, excluding the software Purplera1n which can ONLY jailbreak 3GS). I assume that because the devices are slightly different, the methods used to unlock the newer 3GS may not be at full maturity and this is why you may see a lot of problems in the forums. The good news is that patches for the software continue to be released and success rates will continue to rise.

Is it the same price? If so just get the 3G S.

Thanks

The 3GS Is definitely more expensive.