Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPhone 3GS Unlock for use in Russia

  1. #1
    Default iPhone 3GS Unlock for use in Russia
    I want to buy an iPhone in the US because it is still much cheaper than buying it in Russia. What program(s) should I use? Ultrasn0w? Will it work on any carrier in Russia? Do I need to have the sim card when I do unlock it?

    The phone is for a friend. I have jailbroken my 3G so I am familiar with the technical stuff so dont get all noob on me. I have just never had to unlock one before...



    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Custom Title angiepangie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Golden State :)
    Posts
    3,844
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 222 Times in 211 Posts

    Yes, just JB as you normally would (get the iBEC & iBSS files for future JBs too!) and then unlock using ultrasn0w.
    You don't need the sim in during the unlock and it would unlock the phone to work on any GSM network (basically almost any network that uses sim cards).

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    Yes, just JB as you normally would (get the iBEC & iBSS files for future JBs too!) and then unlock using ultrasn0w.
    You don't need the sim in during the unlock and it would unlock the phone to work on any GSM network (basically almost any network that uses sim cards).
    ok. So what do i need the ibec and ibss files for?

    Will this program work?
    difrnt Blog Archive ECID Grabber & iBEC and iBSS Grabber

  4. #4
    There is an additional layer of security in the 3GS - ipsw files need to be signed. If you get your files now you should be safe for the future. I believe that should work but not having a 3GS I have not tried it.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  5. #5
    Ok so I am going to use a 3G instead of a 3GS. iPhone's in Russia are not locked to their carrier? Does this matter at all?

  6. #6
    Custom Title angiepangie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Golden State :)
    Posts
    3,844
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 222 Times in 211 Posts

    3G iphones will always be jailbreakable without the need of the extra files.
    If the phones are officially unlocked you won't need to use ultrasn0w.

  7. #7
    Where's your avatar Angie? I don't normally look at usernames and have only just realised it's you!
    Welcome to MMI
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    3G iphones will always be jailbreakable without the need of the extra files.
    If the phones are officially unlocked you won't need to use ultrasn0w.
    Well I am buying the iPhone here, much cheaper than it is in Russia. Since all iPhones sold in the US are locked to AT&T, I will still need to unlock it to use it in Russia.


    Are iPhones that are sold where they are not locked to a carrier unlocked using ultrasn0w?

  9. #9
    When they are locked UltraSn0w unlocks them.
    If they are not locked they don't need to be unlocked.
    Make sure you get it before 3.1 is released.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    When they are locked UltraSn0w unlocks them.
    If they are not locked they don't need to be unlocked.
    Make sure you get it before 3.1 is released.
    Yeah I hope that the phones I buy are 2.1.1 or whatever version it was.

  11. #11
    3.0 is what you want. Anything less is fine as you can upgrade to 3.0 and use UltraSn0w but 3.1 is due out soon and if it has that you will not be able to unlock any time soon.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    3.0 is what you want. Anything less is fine as you can upgrade to 3.0 and use UltraSn0w but 3.1 is due out soon and if it has that you will not be able to unlock any time soon.
    There is a jailbreak/unlock out for 3.0? When did this come out....I havent check the dev blog in about 2 weeks. I thought they were going to wait for 3.1 and not do 3.0


    EDIT: I have a PC....it is out for Mac not pc.
    Last edited by burgundyhere; 2009-07-24 at 06:01 PM.

  13. #13
    GeoHotz released PurpleSnow so there was no point in waiting, Apple will now close the hole.
    UltraSn0w was released a couple of weeks ago.
    You really should check the blog more often
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    GeoHotz released PurpleSnow so there was no point in waiting, Apple will now close the hole.
    UltraSn0w was released a couple of weeks ago.
    You really should check the blog more often
    I heard about purplesnow but i also heard it was unstable and ultra was the better of the two....

  15. #15
    Of course it is.

    IMHO
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  16. #16
    Custom Title angiepangie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Golden State :)
    Posts
    3,844
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 222 Times in 211 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Where's your avatar Angie? I don't normally look at usernames and have only just realised it's you!
    Welcome to MMI
    LOL I never got around to uploading it.. And thank you

  17. #17
    So I can get the 3.0 and jailbreak it using redsnow on my AT&T phone?

    On the phone I am sending to Russia i use redsnow then ultra to unlock? I just looked at the devteam blog and saw this all. I am using a PC and used to Quickpwn...is redsnow the same program but for 3.0 3G?

  18. #18
    Custom Title angiepangie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Golden State :)
    Posts
    3,844
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 222 Times in 211 Posts

    Yup. Redsn0w is the new quickpwn, then ultrasn0w to unlock

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to angiepangie For This Useful Post:

    burgundyhere (2009-07-25)

  20. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    Yup. Redsn0w is the new quickpwn, then ultrasn0w to unlock
    redsnow is the new quickpwn? officially or is it just the new trendy thing?

  21. #20
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,474
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

    QuickPWN is no more

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

    burgundyhere (2009-07-25)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •