Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: unlock 3GS and use with at&t

Default unlock 3GS and use with at&t
    I am waiting to pickup my 3GS from AT&T. I have an AT&T contract, but would like to unlock the phone so that I can use it when I travel to Europe. I stay there for a couple of months every year and would like to use another SIM card instead of using AT&T roaming. I have a few questions:

1. If I unlock the phone, will I lose anything (voicemail etc) when using the phone on the AT&T network here in the US?
    2. After unlocking the phone and using it in another country, is it possible to bring is back to its original "locked" state when I return? Do I need to activate the phone again through itunes if I do that?

Thanks for your help.

1. No you shouldn't lose anything if you still use your AT&T plan

2. Yes, all you need to do is restore it to a stock firmware. I believe that you would need to activate it again. I'm not sure though. I never activated it legitimately.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NeoNightmareX For This Useful Post:

ckyr (2009-07-13)

Thanks for your reply. Is there a problem if you activate the same phone multiple times?

I don't think that there would be. I mean what if you sold the phone to someone and then they had to reactivate it. It would be a pretty dumb if they questioned multiple activations.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NeoNightmareX For This Useful Post:

ckyr (2009-07-13)

no problems reactivating multipule times..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan206 For This Useful Post:

ckyr (2009-07-13)

thank you for your replies

You can activate/re-activate your phone over and over again if you like. Everytime you do an Update or a Restore your phone re-activates. You also do not need to "re-lock" the phone at any point. Once the phone is unlocked it will still work with At&t the same. But if you do choose to lock it up for any reason, I cant think of one good reason, just do a restore to stock firmware. Beware though if you restore to a stock firmware, such as 3.1, you will lose the ability to unlock the phone again in the future.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME