Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Concerned About a recent iphone 3g purchase from ebay

I know from experience that the phone will work still once unlocked. I found a 3G last year at a concert, unlocked it and gave it to my sister to use on tmobile. She used it for about 6 months before we realized it was reported stolen. Phone still worked but we decided to track down the owner to offer to return the phone. He was so shocked we found him and attempted to return it after so long that he called At&t and released the stolen block. Regardless, the phone always worked with t-mobile for her. Try to unlock/jailbreak and use the phone. If it still works then you have nothing to worry about and then phone will always work, but if it doesnt then just file the claim with paypal. After all, you are NOW in possession of STOLEN goods...sorry
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Yes, it is safer to have T-Mobile..

T-Mobile doesn't block IMEI numbers

Quote Originally Posted by ryan206 View Post
    Yes, it is safer to have T-Mobile..

T-Mobile doesn't block IMEI numbers
    So even if I use T-Mobile for prepaid use, T-Mobile will not notice that I am using a blocked IMEI number?

Correct, no one will notice. Just do a DFU restore of the phone, then jailbreak/unlock and you will be fine. Use redsn0w to hacktivate the phone so it will not register with At&t...

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

how do you put it in DFU restore mode?
    i usually use an old att prepaid sim to make sure it doesnt brick up on me

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it detects iPhone in restore/recovery mode.

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connects and disconnects.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button.

after DFU
    Open up redsn0w
    load the appropriate firmware
    and let it jailbreak

open cydia
    find ultrasn0w
    install and done?

Make sure you do a full restore in dfu mode via itunes before running redsn0w

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

aeboy (2009-07-14)

Thank You all for your help.

I just have one final question.
    Once I unlock my iphone and start to use a T-Mobile pre-paid sim, will AT&T and/or itunes know I am using a unlocked iphone (esp in my case where I bought a stolen iphone without knowing)?

That is unknown, neither at&t nor apple are going to track you down over the phone, They do not have the time to do so...However, I really do suggest at the end of the day you open a dispute with paypal and purchase a legit phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

JMHO, but once you file your claim with eBay/paypal and get your money back, your next step should be to contact the original owner. If all of their settings, email, and AT&T sim/service etc are still on the phone, it should be easy to identify AND contact the owner.

I certainly hope if someone bought a phone stolen from me, KNEW it was mine, and especially if it cost them nothing (eBay/paypal refund) that they would "do the right thing."

Just my $0.02.

-TiNB

i agree set up a claim with paypal...they are great with this stuff usually...3 times now over the course of a few years i had claims about stuff i got from ebay and each time, even without the orginal seller contacting them, they got all my money back for the said items...thats why i never buy anything without paying with paypal...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThereIsNoBall View Post
    JMHO, but once you file your claim with eBay/paypal and get your money back, your next step should be to contact the original owner. If all of their settings, email, and AT&T sim/service etc are still on the phone, it should be easy to identify AND contact the owner.

I certainly hope if someone bought a phone stolen from me, KNEW it was mine, and especially if it cost them nothing (eBay/paypal refund) that they would "do the right thing."

Just my $0.02.

-TiNB
    I agree. unless you stole the phone yourself and dont want to return it to the rightful owner.... lame

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12