Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newb software version question

Default Newb software version question
    Hi guys,

I'm just about to get an iPhone and do the whole, jailbreak/unlock/activate thing. How do you tell what version of software you have on your phone and which BL version?

Thanks!
    eyeball.

Well, it doesn't really matter of you use Ziphone. Just plug the iPhone into the USB port, quit iTunes and run Ziphone. It does it al for you now.

Then, you can touch Settings, then General, then About ad all the info is listed there.
    HTH

Green Apple
    Thanks

well when you first get your phone, you'll know what firmware it has by the screen you see when you first turn on the iPhone.

If you see this: http://www.iclarified.com/images/tut.../1887/1887.png Then you have a 1.1.2/1.1.3/1.1.4 and a 4.6 Bootloader phone.

If you see a picture of the earth with "slide for emergency" then you have 1.1.1 and 3.6 Bootloader.
    Another way is to look at the phones serial number on the box... if it says something like 7T744 or less, usually it's 3.6, if it's 7T745 or higher you have 4.6.

IF you buy it in Europe though, regardless of serial number it will have Bootloader 4.6, i have a 7T743 and it came with 1.1.2 and 4.6 OTB Not a problem now though with the amount of programs out there

Firmwares can be told by the Baseband version too...

04.01.13_G is Firmware 1.1.1
    04.02.13_G is Firmware 1.1.2
    04.03.13_G is Firmware 1.1.3
    04.04.05_G is Firmware 1.1.4

But the most reliable way are the 2 methods mentioned above
    Last edited by Brownie2k; 2008-03-15 at 03:49 PM.

Thanks Brownie2k!
    So, if i follow the instructions on the wiki, i should restore to 1.1.3 regardless. I've downloaded iPhone1,1_1.1.3_4A93_Restore.ipsw (the file looks like a white lego brick with an iTunes symbol on it) which I believe is the 1.1.3 firmware and I've downloaded it to my desktop. When I do the restore to that version how do i access it? Can I just browse to it through iTunes or do I have to do something else. Sorry if this is all a bit basic but I'm a noob and I don't want to brick the thing!!

Also, the version of Ziphone on this site is 2.0 i believe but the version on Zibris site is 2.6, which would be the better to use?

Thanks!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

To restore your iphone using your downloaded firmware, (yes thats the right one you got! ):

First download your firmware to your Mac,
    Open iTunes
    Hold Option and click Restore
    Browse to your downloaded Firmware
    Once iPhone is updated, use ZiPhone or iPlus2.0 to U/J/A

ZiPhone 2.6 is available but seeing as your new to the iphone, use iPlus2.0, it's safer and downgrades your bootloader to a reversable 3.9, rather than an irreversable 3.9 as ZiPhone would do.
    Dont get me wrong, ZiPhone is great, but iPlus is too...

Guide to iPlus should you choose it
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=765

Thanks Brownie2k,
    I went out and got my iPhone this lunch time and tackle it tonight, I've got the picture taht you posted when you turn the phone on so it would seem I've got a 1.1.2/1.1.3/.1.14 & 4.6BL model.

The serial no. 87809 but i guess that's irrelevant if the above is true. Why does the BL have to be downgraded by the way?

So, theoretically, if I chose to use Ziphone (I wan't expecting another choice of U/J/A, that's thrown the cat amongst the pigeons!!) I could do all three straight off and then see what firmware I'm on and upgrade or not accordingly.

Thanks for all the help and advice, it really is much appreciated!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well if you need help feel free to message me. Personally i'd go for iPlus, i relocked my phone lastnight and iPlus'd it, but i still have the ZiPhone irreversable 3.9 Bootloader

Basically, if you have a 4.6 BL, you can only unlock firmware 1.1.2, NOT 1.1.3/4. If you have a 3.9 Bootloader, you can unlock 1.1.3/4 because there is less security in the 3.9 Bootloader than the 4.6. If you use iPlus it downgrades to a fully functional REVERSABLE 3.9BL unlike ZiPhone which doesnt let you reverse.

As of now, there is NO use for a 4.6 Bootloader, but in the future there could be... so it's best to go with the option of a reversable 3.9 if you ask me! And yes, after unlocking and jailbreaking you can see what firmware you're on... alternativly, where it says slide for emergency, side it and enter this code... *3001#12345#* that will bring up the fieldtest app. Goto Versions and it'll say Firmware Version. Compare your firmware to the list above!

Hmm, I seem to be have fallen at the first hurdle! I've attached the dock to my Mac at put the iPhone in it and its beeped and brought up the Slide to unlock screen but nothing else. iTunes doesn't seem to recognize it at all. I'm not sure where to go now, other than back to the apple store!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

plug it directly into your computer... dont use the dock See what that does for you. Have you already unlocked it?

Yep tried the lot. Tried it with the dock, tried it without. Tried bouncing the Mac, tried bouncing the iPhone. Tried using the cable from my iPod. Never got as far as unlocking it as I couldn't get iTunes to recognize it. I'm going to take it back tomorrow and get it changed (hopefully) and give it another go tomorrow!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Check your Private Messages Eyeball, i might have a suggestion that could help you. I find it easier to PM just incase i cant find this board later