Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading to 3.0 - Tell me what my options are

Question Upgrading to 3.0 - Tell me what my options are
    EDIT: Problem solved. Thanks!

Right now I'm on t-mo with a 2.2.1 8gb 3G LOCKED iPhone using a piggyback sim card adapter (Gizmodo - iPhone 3G Unlocked with SIM Card Adapter - Unlock). I bought it from a guy 1-2 months ago, and he had told me that he couldn't unlock my iPhone, so he got me a sim card adapter instead. He's unlocked iPhones before, so he knows what he's doing.

I want to upgrade to 3.0, so I'm assuming I have two possible options: update the os normally (won't be a problem with the adapter?) or software unlock and stop using the adapter

side note: one of the annoying things about my adapter is that if i lose service, i'll have to reboot my phone because otherwise i'll stay without signal even if i re-enter an area with good service

what would you do in my situation?

specific questions:
    1) Do you know why he said he couldn't unlock my iPhone? Is it my particular phone? Or did it have something to do with the 2.2.1 OS that people couldn't unlock? (he didn't charge me for the adapter)
    2a) Will my adapter even work if I upgrade to 3.0 straight up?
    2b) Can my adapter save my iPhone from a botched unlock attempt? (i.e. does a failed unlock brick an iphone? or merely result in an updated and locked iphone?)
    3) Would it be best just to software unlock since I have signal issues with my adapter? (I don't have any experience with unlocking and haven't done any research yet)

That's a lot of questions, but of course help as little or as much as you please

Thanks so much
    Last edited by Pocko; 2009-07-02 at 12:17 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pocko View Post
    Right now I'm on t-mo with a 2.2.1 8gb 3G LOCKED iPhone using a piggyback sim card adapter (Gizmodo - iPhone 3G Unlocked with SIM Card Adapter - Unlock). I bought it from a guy 1-2 months ago, and he had told me that he couldn't unlock my iPhone, so he got me a sim card adapter instead. He's unlocked iPhones before, so he knows what he's doing.

I want to upgrade to 3.0, so I'm assuming I have two possible options: update the os normally (won't be a problem with the adapter?) or software unlock and stop using the adapter

side note: one of the annoying things about my adapter is that if i lose service, i'll have to reboot my phone because otherwise i'll stay without signal even if i re-enter an area with good service

what would you do in my situation?

specific questions:
    1) Do you know why he said he couldn't unlock my iPhone? Is it my particular phone? Or did it have something to do with the 2.2.1 OS that people couldn't unlock? (he didn't charge me for the adapter)
    2a) Will my adapter even work if I upgrade to 3.0 straight up?
    2b) Can my adapter save my iPhone from a botched unlock attempt? (i.e. does a failed unlock brick an iphone? or merely result in an updated and locked iphone?)
    3) Would it be best just to software unlock since I have signal issues with my adapter? (I don't have any experience with unlocking and haven't done any research yet)

That's a lot of questions, but of course help as little or as much as you please

Thanks so much
    Welcome to MMi
    You can update to 3.0, then use Redsnow to jailbreak, and then use ultrasn0w to unlock your phone and throw the sim adapter away.
    There are several threads on this have a look around.
    I have a 3G and used to have a sim adapter, but no more.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

Pocko (2009-07-01)

Great. Thanks

I'll look into it and report back if I run into any problems

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Awesome. Good luck.