Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ATT iPhone 3G unlocking for use with O2 UK, unsupported SIM

Default ATT iPhone 3G unlocking for use with O2 UK, unsupported SIM
    Hey Everyone,

So I recently upgraded my 16GB iPhone 3G to 3.0 using the restore function in iTunes and then running redsn0w followed by installing ultrasn0w in cydia.

I did this of course with my ATT sim in the phone. So I am assuming the phone re-activated with ATT again after being restored. Actually I made a call on it so it had to be activated.

When inserting an O2 sim in the phone the phone says no service. When connecting the phone to iTunes it says unsupported SIM.

I am tempted to restore the phone again, re jailbreak and re unlock using only the O2 sim in the phone. I am currently in the UK however and no longer have access to the original ATT sim :-(.

If I restore the phone here with iTunes location set to the UK will I be locked out of the phone until I can insert a ATT sim again?

When the restore is complete I am expecting the phone to say connect to iTunes and attempt to activate. Will I still be able to reboot the phone into DFU mode and run redsn0w and bypass this?

I am nervous I am out to effectively brick my phone...

I am quite sure there are unlocked 3G's using O2, am I missing a critical step? Could there be a solution to this issue without restoring the phone?

Thanks,
    Tyler

Restore and RedSn0w with your O2 SIM in and UlraSn0w.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Restore and RedSn0w with your O2 SIM in and UlraSn0w.
    So will RedSn0w bypass the activation "lockout" of the phone so I can get into cydia and ultrasn0w?

this is where I start worrying...

If I restore the phone with the o2 sim in, it will not be able to activate after it is restored.

I dont suppose this is going to be a problem because I just need to get into DFU mode.

Can i get into DFU mode without activating the phone?

Then assuming I can run RedSn0w on it will that bypass the activation"lockout" so that I will be able to run ultrasn0w?

Just RedSn0w with the O2 SIM in - why are you worried?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Just RedSn0w with the O2 SIM in - why are you worried?
    Its an ATT phone, I am doing the procedure in the UK with no ATT sims in sight.

If I restore the phone and cannot get past the connect to itunes to activate BS screen then im screwed.

Then again the phone doesn't work right now anyways... But I would like to know if this is known to work or not before I effectively brick it.

Also my itunes is currently set to the UK for a location. I am assuming this will download the O2 firmware when restoring then. Does anyone know what this will do to an ATT locked phone?

OK don't do it. Sell your iPhone and get a nokia

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I noticed that success was reported in a thread in another forum where jailbreaking via redsn0w was apparently done with the official SIM in (apparently O2) and then the unlocking via ultrasn0w was done with the unofficial SIM in (apparently Vodafone UK). Assuming you have WiFi, you might try uninstalling ultrasn0w and reinstalling it with your O2 SIM in. I have absolutely no first hand experience, but would shortly be in the same boat if I upgrade to 3.0 before visiting the UK -- so I'd appreciate hearing whether you were able to get your UK SIM working, and how.

So I just answered part of my question.

I restored the phone with the 3.0 ipsw and with no sim card in the phone. When the process was finished it said no sim inserted, showed the connect to itunes to activate, slide for emergency, etc. etc.

I turned the phone off closed itunes, opened RedSn0w, and proceeded to put it into DFU mode and jailbreak just fine. When the jailbreak had finished the phone no longer needed to be activated. I am able to work through the phone just fine. itunes sees the phone and offers to start a new phone or restore backup.

I am going to turn 3g off, connect to wifi, insert the O2 sim now and run ultrasn0w. Remember ATT is the original official carrier for the phone, so O2 is the "unapproved" carrier.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tgrandahl For This Useful Post:

lcymru (2009-07-01)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Really appreciate the update. Please let us know whether your O2 sim worked after ultrasn0w. And, since I'm on AT&T, I'd also be very interested in learning whether your AT&T sim still works (absent a restore and re-jailbreak) when you get back to the States.

The answer is yes and yes.
    You *might* have to uninstall UltraSn0w to use AT&T again but no need to re-jailbreak.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello (again) Confucious!

So, assuming that I will upgrade to 3.0 imminently and that I want to continue to use AT&T for a couple of weeks until I get to the UK (and then want to use a UK SIM there) do you recommend that I initially jailbreak 3.0 with no SIM in my iPhone 3G?

Or, do you recommend instead that I do the initial 3.0 jailbreak with the AT&T SIM in the iPhone, and then restore and re-jailbreak with no SIM in just prior to leaving for the UK?

Thanks again for all your help.

Restore your phone in iTunes to 3.0 (don't update and don't restore from Backup) Let iTunes Activate your phone then use RedSn0w to jailbreak.
    When you want to come to the UK install UltraSn0w and your UK SIM (whatever carrier) will work - no need to re-jailbreak.
    If you find you have problems when you get back to the USA just uninstall UltraSn0w - but you might find you don't need too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

lcymru (2009-07-01)