Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "No Service" on my T-Mobile unlocked 2G 3.0 with redsn0w

Default "No Service" on my T-Mobile unlocked 2G 3.0 with redsn0w
    I just bought a 2G iPhone from a friend of mine, and it was running on version 1.4. I took it home and used iTunes to restore and upgrade to 3.0. I then used redsn0w to jailbreak, then cydia to install ultrasn0w to unlock. All went just fine, I was using directions I found on Gizmodo, here.

Anyway, it seemed to go just fine. I rebooted it with my T-Mobile SIM in it and it comes up with "No Service" I've rebooted a few times, and even tried rerunning redsn0w. Only thing I haven't done is trying another restore on iTunes back to 3.0 again.

I've search extensively without success. Any ideas?

If not, is there a safe way to revert back to an earlier software revision, like 2.2.1 or something?

Thanks!

Ultrasn0w is for 3G ONLY.

Start from scratch, restore back to 3.0 then jailbreak with redsn0w. Make SURE the box is ticked that says "unlock" and you will be all go to go when the phone reboots. Also, dont install icy from the redsn0w prompt, just cyida. Again DO NOT USE ULTRASN0W.

Quote Originally Posted by seh6183 View Post

Start from scratch, restore back to 3.0 then jailbreak with redsn0w. Make SURE the box is ticked that says "unlock" and you will be all go to go when the phone reboots. Also, dont install icy from the redsn0w prompt, just cyida. Again DO NOT USE ULTRASN0W.
    Wow, I can't believe I missed that tiny most important detail! The tutorial that Giz posted did not mention that, they said that it worked for the original iPhone as well.

I noticed the unlock option when I was running redsn0w, but just skipped it, because I was too lazy to download the two boot loader files, lol, and the other method was so much easier.

Thanks so much for pointing this out, I will do exactly that!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to seh6183 For This Useful Post:

paqmanbiker (2009-06-30)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

u could always install bootneuter manually from cydia then unlock and the bootloader files are included. but if you have the files, do the unlock/jailbreak at the same time with redsn0w.
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Quote Originally Posted by smirkis View Post
    u could always install bootneuter manually from cydia then unlock and the bootloader files are included. but if you have the files, do the unlock/jailbreak at the same time with redsn0w.
    I'll give that a try, as I don't ahve the boot loader files yet. But in case I have to try the other method, you wouldn't have a quick link where to get those boot loader files from would you? (Don't search if you don't know, I can do that, but if you already know where they're at, that'd be great.)

Well, unfortunately that didn't work either. I got the correct boot loader files, everything went as smooth as butter, no errors at all. It simply wont get a signal from T-Mobile. I didn't check Icy, only Cydia and Unlock.

I also looked at downloading Bootneuter, but it looks like it is only for unlocking 2.0 firmware, so I haven't tried that yet. Not sure what to try next.
    Last edited by paqmanbiker; 2009-07-01 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Was the sim in the phone when you went through the Jailbreaking/Unlock process?

Was the sim in the phone when you went through the Jailbreaking/Unlock process?
    No I waited till after the jailbreak/unlock process was finished, then I shutdown the iPhone, but my SIM in, and rebooted. Should it have been in during the process?

Thanks

It does not matter if your SIM is in or out you just need 3.0 on your phone before you use Redsn0w....
    My understanding in order to use Redsn0w is that you must have 3.0 already installed. The first step is to let it find the current ipsw which is the stock 3.0 you select and you want 3.9 bin and 4.6 bin when you browse for each. EVERYTHING should be on your desktop. follow the prompt to put in DFU mode and it will automatically start and finish. I am so glad we don't have a pineapple anymore,
    Last edited by mikerlx; 2009-07-01 at 01:24 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

^+1

Ok here it is:

1.) Put all of your files (firmware, bootloaders, red snow) into the same folder

2.) Put the phone into airplane mode

3.) Connect to itunes and do a fresh 3.0 restore WITH the sim in the tray

4.) Put phone into DFU BEFORE starting redsn0w

5.) Close itunes and run redsn0w WITH the sim in the tray

6.) Follow the directions and do it exactly like you did last time

7.) Enjoy T-Mobile service.

*Oh and don't restore a backup of your phone when you first connect it to iTunes, set it up as a new phone*

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    My understanding in order to use Redsn0w is that you must have 3.0 already installed. The first step is to let it find the current ipsw which is the stock 3.0 you select and you want 3.9 bin and 4.6 bin when you browse for each. EVERYTHING should be on your desktop. follow the prompt to put in DFU mode and it will automatically start and finish. I am so glad we don't have a pineapple anymore,
    I did already have the 3.0 already installed. I just used iTunes to restore to the new 3.0, then after than I ran Redsn0w, directed it to the ipsw that iTunes used, directied it to the 3.9 and 4.6 boot loaders. I had it all in one nice little folder on my pc. I did everything as stated, including the DFU mode and everything went just fine. There were no errors, and Redsn0w finished saying it was done jailbreaking.

It was at that point, I shut down, inserted the SIM, and rebooted. Oh, and yes, we do still have the Pineapple. Should it not be there? I was using Redsn0w 0.72

Ok here it is:

1.) Put all of your files (firmware, bootloaders, red snow) into the same folder

*Oh and don't restore a backup of your phone when you first connect it to iTunes, set it up as a new phone*
    Ok, two things you mentioned here I have not done. I was not in airplane mode, and the SIM was not in the phone. I will do that and see how it goes.

Ok here it is:

Well this is a bit frustrating. It still didn't work. Is there anything I have to do after this process is complete? Any settings on the iPhone I need to change? I'm pretty damn sure I've done everything correctly. I've found about 5 different tutorials online for using Redsn0w that all pretty much say the same thing, and I'm following them precisely. With the exception of your advice here to have it in airplane mode and with the sim in, which I just tried, and still isn't working.

As a side note, I T-Mobile has worked on this phone in the past. Before I bought it from my friend, she let me play around with it when she was on the 1.1.4 OS. I popped in my sim and it worked just fine. Anyway, take that for what it's worth.

(Edit: so far I've been doing this on a Windows XP box. Perhaps I should try it on my Vista machine? It's 64 bit though, not sure what effect that would have.) Got nothin else to try, maybe I'll ggive it a whirl.

Vista didn't make any difference. Still not working. At this point, I'm trying to downgrade, but any further help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by paqmanbiker; 2009-07-01 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Here, follow this link and you should have all the info you need to sort this out. It is a tree menu, follow it to what applies to you and then click.
    Put you Phone in DFU mode, restore in iTunes to a fresh copy of 3.0 and then begin.
    Making sure that you set it up as a NEW phone.
    Forget all that airplane mode stuff and leave your sim in.
    DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it’s in restore mode.

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connect and disconnect.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2009-07-01 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Here, follow this link and you should have all the info you need to sort this out. It is a tree menu, follow it to what applies to you and then click.
    Put you Phone in DFU mode, restore in iTunes to a fresh copy of 3.0 and then begin.
    Making sure that you set it up as a NEW phone.
    Forget all that airplane mode stuff and leave your sim in.
    DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that itís in restore mode.

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connect and disconnect.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button.
    I appreciate the help, but this leads me down the same path I've already taken. I've done everything in the tutorial that you mentioned. The tree told me to use Redsn0w, which I have done precisely to the detail in that tutorial. Still not working, sorry!

Thanks

Download Pwnage 3.0 tool and create a custom 3.0 fw and go into itunes don't worry about DFU mode. if you have a Mac hold down alt/option or PC use shift then click restore when prompted select custom 3.0 ipsw and let it finish and a box will say restoreed to factory setting and once done. Seems like your confusing the process. if you do pwnage 3.0 and create a custom 3.0 fw that unlocked and jailbroken when its done making you already have 3.9bin and 4.6bin already so your good to go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paqmanbiker View Post
    I appreciate the help, but this leads me down the same path I've already taken. I've done everything in the tutorial that you mentioned. The tree told me to use Redsn0w, which I have done precisely to the detail in that tutorial. Still not working, sorry!
    try above method. your missing something I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    Download Pwnage 3.0 tool and create a custom 3.0 fw and go into itunes don't worry about DFU mode. if you have a Mac hold down alt/option or PC use shift then click restore when prompted select custom 3.0 ipsw and let it finish and a box will say restoreed to factory setting and once done. Seems like your confusing the process. if you do pwnage 3.0 and create a custom 3.0 fw that unlocked and jailbroken when its done making you already have 3.9bin and 4.6bin already so your good to go.

Well, I don't think I'm confusing the process at all. I think I've just been using a different process than you are describing. I've been using Redsn0w, and BELIEVE me, I have been following the steps, precisely. The process is completing just fine, and I am getting the expected results, with the exception of not getting any signal.

But I can try your process. I haven't tried using Pwnage tool yet. When I get home from work tonight, I will try your method.

And in case anyone is curious. I was able to downgrade to 2.2.1 yesterday, and jailbreak and unlock it using Quickpwn. Same results. Everything went fine, still no signal. I think in this case I could have had an issue with the baseband. I think I was still running a newer baseband, which could have been my problem. So I think I will try Pwnage first, and if that doesn't work, I may try going back to 2.2.1 and then use whatever that tool is that will downgrade the baseband as well. Man this is a long frustrating process.

Ok, I have good news. But I'm a little frustrated that I still couldn't get it to work via the regular methods you all use here. Well, I did use the methods we discussed, but had to do something extra. I used Redsn0w again, same methods as before, it jailbroke it just fine, but still wasn't unlocked. So I used Cydia to download and install Bootneuter. Then with bootneuter I neutered the bootloader, and unlocked the baseband. Rebooted, and voila! I'm on t-mobile!

Can somebody explain to me why the all in one method didn't work, but adding this extra step did the trick?
    Last edited by paqmanbiker; 2009-07-02 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

paqmanbiker,

I had a LOT of problems getting my iPhone to work with T-Mobile after upgrading to version 3 firmware. I went through the same drills you did.

I borrowed an AT&T SIM from a colleague's iPhone and put it in mine and the phone came right up and worked just fine.

My T-Mobile SIM is really old. I did put the SIM in a Motorola phone and it worked fine, so I thought the SIM was OK.

But since the AT&T SIM worked in the unlocked phone, I thought there might be some differences in SIMS over the years.

A made quick trip to the T-Mobile store and got a new SIM. Put that in the iPhone. The phone came right up and has been running a few hours now with no problems.

I'll definitely keep the phone away from iTunes for a few weeks until the problems with "no signal" and constant searching are better understood. When I do attach back to iTunes, I'll start as a "new" phone just to be safe.

Maybe all you need is a new SIM. Hope this helps.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pderby View Post
    paqmanbiker,

I had a LOT of problems getting my iPhone to work with T-Mobile after upgrading to version 3 firmware. I went through the same drills you did.

I borrowed an AT&T SIM from a colleague's iPhone and put it in mine and the phone came right up and worked just fine.

My T-Mobile SIM is really old. I did put the SIM in a Motorola phone and it worked fine, so I thought the SIM was OK.

But since the AT&T SIM worked in the unlocked phone, I thought there might be some differences in SIMS over the years.

A made quick trip to the T-Mobile store and got a new SIM. Put that in the iPhone. The phone came right up and has been running a few hours now with no problems.

I'll definitely keep the phone away from iTunes for a few weeks until the problems with "no signal" and constant searching are better understood. When I do attach back to iTunes, I'll start as a "new" phone just to be safe.

Maybe all you need is a new SIM. Hope this helps.

Paul
    That's very interesting that you say this. I'm not sure if you read the latest addition to my last reply, but I was finally able to get the phone working. I had manually install and run Bootneuter to do it. However, the very same day, (yesterday), I had tried that very thing. On my way home from work, I stopped by the T-Mobile store and got a new SIM. But I did notice that it still wasn't working after I went through the normal procedures, even with the new SIM. It wasn't till I ran bootneuter that it worked. I guess I'll never know! My old sim is now inactivated. (along with some of my contacts, which I should have gotten off it before getting a new one)

Thanks for the reply.

If anyone is interested, I think I knew why it wasn't working, and why I had to run Bootneuter manually.

It just hit me last night that when I ran bootneuter manually, i got a message telling me that it can't run while the commcenter is running, so it told me to reboot the phone to make sure commcenter is completely stopped. When I did that, it worked fine.

I noticed when running Redsn0w, that it installs and uses Bootneuter, I'm assuming to do the unlocking. But because it runs in the background, without any user input, it wasn't able to run, hence the reason, the process went just fine, everything was jailbroken, but not unlocked. Bootneuter couldn't run.

Not sure how to fix this without maybe ssh'ing into the phone and manually killing the commcenter. It was just easier to run bootneuter manually. I don't know why it didn't kill the commcenter with all the rebooting I was doing before. Maybe airplane mode would have helped I guess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast