Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "No Service" on my T-Mobile unlocked 2G 3.0 with redsn0w

I finally got up the nerve to power cycle my iPhone and synch it with iTunes this past weekend. All went well with the new SIM.

So it seems that for some totally mysterious reason, my old T-Mobile SIM would work fine with firmware 2.2.1 and older and in other GSM phones. Just not with the iPhone with 3.0 firmware.

The new SIM works with 3.0 firmware.

So I'm back to using my iPhone after a tough 48 hours of experimenting with all various sequences and settings using pwnage, redsnow, ultrasnow.

Quote Originally Posted by pderby View Post
    I finally got up the nerve to power cycle my iPhone and synch it with iTunes this past weekend. All went well with the new SIM.

So it seems that for some totally mysterious reason, my old T-Mobile SIM would work fine with firmware 2.2.1 and older and in other GSM phones. Just not with the iPhone with 3.0 firmware.

The new SIM works with 3.0 firmware.

So I'm back to using my iPhone after a tough 48 hours of experimenting with all various sequences and settings using pwnage, redsnow, ultrasnow.
    Cool, sounds like we were going through similar issues.

Thanks

I am a little confused by what you guys did to the programs and processes, but I am glad you got your phones working.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    I am a little confused by what you guys did to the programs and processes, but I am glad you got your phones working.
    Lol, well in my case, there is no reason to be confused. Because I did not change the processes in the tutorials AT ALL. Nobody seems to believe me. I do this stuff all the time, I read all the tutorials, followed them to the tee, it simply was not working. And I already explained why. For some unknown reason, the commcenter was running whenever I was running Redsn0w, which kept Bootneuter from running. That was the problem right there. Why the commcenter was running, i'll never know, but yes, you're right. At least I got it working.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to paqmanbiker For This Useful Post:

veeh (2009-07-23)

after trying to upgrade to 3.0 it says the tmobile sim card is incorrect how do you get past this in order to to get 3.0

Maybe going to T-Mobile and having them make a new SIM card for you will solve your problem. That's what I had to do. They took my old SIM card and duped it onto a new SIM card. The new SIM card started right up with a good signal. The old SIM card always searched or said no service.

You can do the jailbreak and unlock with the SIM card removed. Power down the phone, then put the SIM card in the phone, then power up. You should get a T-Mobile signal.

If you don't, borrow an AT&T SIM or another T-Mobile SIM and see if that works in your jailbroken, unlocked phone. If the AT&T or borrowed T-Mobile SIMS work, then you probably do need a new SIM.

Hey Guys .. I am facing the same problems .. Jailbroken, Unlocked but No Services... reading through this thread...it looks like there are 2 ways which could solve the issue ..

1) Add an extra step to the normal process to download/install BootNeuter and run it

I tried ths first .. Jailbroke .. Installed Ultrasnow via Cydia .. Installed BootNeuter 2.1 via Cydia ... When I start BootNeuter it keeps posting "Please Wait Determining current settings" and gets stuck there...I tried rebooting several times ..same thing.. once in a while when it does not do that it asks to reboot..same story after that.. anything I am missing here?

or

2) Get a new SIM from Tmobile...

I will try this tomm if the above approach does not work. I tried with a 2 month old Tmobile SIM...no luck..so not sure if this one will work for me

Any further help is highly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by techie.taurian View Post
    Hey Guys .. I am facing the same problems .. Jailbroken, Unlocked but No Services... reading through this thread...it looks like there are 2 ways which could solve the issue ..

1) Add an extra step to the normal process to download/install BootNeuter and run it

I tried ths first .. Jailbroke .. Installed Ultrasnow via Cydia .. Installed BootNeuter 2.1 via Cydia ... When I start BootNeuter it keeps posting "Please Wait Determining current settings" and gets stuck there...I tried rebooting several times ..same thing.. once in a while when it does not do that it asks to reboot..same story after that.. anything I am missing here?

or

2) Get a new SIM from Tmobile...

I will try this tomm if the above approach does not work. I tried with a 2 month old Tmobile SIM...no luck..so not sure if this one will work for me

Any further help is highly appreciated.
    I had the same issue with it stuck at "determining settings" too, but that was when I was trying to downgrade to 2.2.1 OS. Once I used it on 3.0 it worked fine. I'm thinking it was really the new SIM that worked for me. Another person PM'd me with the same problem. They got a new SIM and that fixed. Of course, both of our SIMS were 2 years old. Since yours is so new, not sure if that will fix it. But worth a try, they don't charge you anything.

Default T-mobile 2g 3.0 Searching for service... I'm Loosing Sleep
    I have a 2g iphone with a redsn0wed 3.0 firmware. My t-mobile service was working fine until this morning and now it just keeps searching for service. It found service with t-mobile for about 10 seconds and then went to no service. I have tried several methods and none of them help my problem. ANY HELP would be much appreciated. I am loosing sleep

I had it working fine through redsn0w and i dont know what happend. i have also downloaded bootneuter and locked and un-neutered but still just searches for service. Bootneuter finishes and searches for settings for hours and never does anything. I end up pressing the home button to return to the main menu. The airplane mode will not switch on. AHHHH!!! I'm loosing my mind

I also can see my phone number under phone>contacts at the top. It just keeps searching... No Service. I tried other t-mobile sims and the one i have is only a month old. NO LUCK
    Last edited by rwelch1983; 2009-07-22 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by rwelch1983 View Post
    I have a 2g iphone with a redsn0wed 3.0 firmware. My t-mobile service was working fine until this morning and now it just keeps searching for service. It found service with t-mobile for about 10 seconds and then went to no service. I have tried several methods and none of them help my problem. ANY HELP would be much appreciated. I am loosing sleep

I had it working fine through redsn0w and i dont know what happend. i have also downloaded bootneuter and locked and un-neutered but still just searches for service. Bootneuter finishes and searches for settings for hours and never does anything. I end up pressing the home button to return to the main menu. The airplane mode will not switch on. AHHHH!!! I'm loosing my mind

I also can see my phone number under phone>contacts at the top. It just keeps searching... No Service. I tried other t-mobile sims and the one i have is only a month old. NO LUCK
    ARG!!! I have the same problem as of 6PM today!!!!! WTF! My phone was working fine, but then it ran out of battery since I was nowhere near a charger and turned off/reboot, and after it came back on, wasn't recognizing my SIM card as Tmobile anymore.

I restored everything and re-jailbroke/unlocked my phone, NOTHING WORKS.

My sim card is only 2 weeks old..and replacing my 2 year old SIM card fixed it the first time but now I have no idea what's wrong. Any suggestions??

Quote Originally Posted by veeh View Post
    ARG!!! I have the same problem as of 6PM today!!!!! WTF! My phone was working fine, but then it ran out of battery since I was nowhere near a charger and turned off/reboot, and after it came back on, wasn't recognizing my SIM card as Tmobile anymore.

I restored everything and re-jailbroke/unlocked my phone, NOTHING WORKS.

My sim card is only 2 weeks old..and replacing my 2 year old SIM card fixed it the first time but now I have no idea what's wrong. Any suggestions??
    I'm still scratching my head at this one. My sim is brand new. I've ran bootneuter a thousand times every way possible. Re-jailbroken with both pwnage tool and redsn0w. Reseted settings. it worked fine before and i dont think its the sim. i haven't tried switching back to 221 but i had it running fine on 3.0 so i dont think thats the problem

Default This is a strange problem
    I've got a 2g iPhone that i was running on 2.2 then the day dev team released redsnow i followed the tutorial (which is very simple, Great work from them) and it work first time with no problems at all, then about 4 ish weeks ago i got my Daughter a 2G iPhone which i brough as faulty as it had locked up, but as soon as i got it into recovery mode i updated to 3.0 used redsnow and it worked first go, Then yesterday my Nephew came around and he had just brough a 2G iPhone i had a look at it and it was on 1.4 and had been unlocked and Jail Broken, so i updated it to 3.0 for him, put it through redsnow every went fine but like you Guy's NO SIGNAL after going though the restore jailbreak process about 12 times i try boot neuter and it worked (wish i read this thread first).
    My point is it's like somethings changed that stopping boot neuter from working right in the redsnow process as i use the same software, files and computer all 3 times but only the recent one gave me problems ?

I'm looking too restore my phone tomorrow as its running really bad, its full of crap and cydia among other thing won't open, it will be intresting to see if the same thing happens ?
    Then we will know if is certain phone's or some kind of covert update from apple.
    I'll let you's know what happen's

Bee...

Here's a quick update on my situation:
    I have a problem with losing my signal every 24-48 hours after a jailbreak/unlock with redsn0w on my 2g iphone. To jailbreak/unlock, I followed the instructions meticulously by restoring first to 3.0 with the file provided on the tutorial, then jailbroke etc. I would then set my iphone up as a new phone on itunes (which sucked cuz I would lose all old txt messages and such and would have to reapply all my cool cydia themes one by one and download all cydia programs).

My phone would then work and recognize T mobile, but then I would lose signal in anywhere from 8-48 hours after that. The only thing I could do to get it to work is reflash the baseband/broadband to complete stock via Bootneuter with no sim card in, then reflash everything to neutered on, fakeblank off, unlock on (4.6). Then I would have to put somebody else's sim card in, make sure it recognized there's then finally put mine in and it would recognize Tmobile. HOWEVER, my signal would still be lost in 8-24 hours or if I reboot.

This past week I tried something different. I reflashed my baseband as described above but instead of putting in a random sim card, i used my friend who had an iphone on AT&T that was running on 3.0. Prior, I had used other Tmobile users not on iphones, AT&T users not on iphones, and even an AT&T iphone user on 2.2.1 to reset my phone as described above, but all with the same result of losing service within 24 hours. Only after using the sim card of an iphone in 3.0 on AT&T did it recognize my card AND hold my signal steady for a good 5 days (as opposed to 1 day before), and it still recognized my sim card even if I rebooted. During these 5 days I did not sync to my iTunes at all either.

Then, on the 5th day I decided to sync my iTunes to my iphone (wireless off on laptop, airplane mode on phone) and afterwards it still held my signal. Then i decided to reboot bc my phone was being extremely slow and BAM: No service appeared again. So now I am wondering if somehow iTunes communicated with my phone and somehow messed up my baseband when syncing or if it was the fact that I need to find somebody with my OS using at&t to reset my phone, or both, or neither and something even more complicated than this?

I have no idea...but this is annoying! If I can't figure this out within a month I am going to have to sell this phone because it's unreliable and inconvenient to carry around 2 phones for the fear of losing service at any given time.
    Last edited by veeh; 2009-08-12 at 06:39 PM.

How I fixed the NO SERVICE problem on my iPhone 2G 3.0 firmware:

1. Download BootNeuter from Cydia (even though it says for firmware 2.0)
    2. Open BootNeuter
    3. Click Bootloader 4.6
    4. Pop-Up will tell you it can't run while Commcenter is running
    5. It will automatically restart
    6. Open BootNeuter again
    7. Click Bootloader 4.6 again
    8. Let it run
    9. Mine froze at the pop-up that said Please Wait while checking settings (don't worry)
    10. Click home to get out of BootNeuter app
    11. Restart phone
    12. Voila! It should say T-Mobile!

If for some reason this doesn't work (which it should), try restoring your phone to 3.0 and using RedSnow to unlock/jailbreak again, then run the above steps.
    Last edited by patrickryan; 2009-08-26 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ok... so not to beat a dead horse, but i'm having a similar issue with my 2g iphone... to make a long story short... I jailbroke the iphone initially using pwnage 2.2.5 and it worked perfectly with TMobile with Edge network. I let a friend borrow the iphone, she was on AT&T and when she returned it (about 2 weeks later) my TMobile sim would not "find" network, failed call, or would be "searching" when i inserted my sim card. I re-jailbroke the phone using pwnage 2.2.5 to no prevail and then updated the iphone via itunes to 3.0 and then tried to re-jailbreak it with redwn0w 0.8.

I follow the steps to a tee and it will allow me to jailbreak the phone and it will show the tmobile name but when i try to make a call it will say "failed call" or go immediately into "searching". At times, immediately after i use redsn0w to jailbreak the phone it will allow me to call my voicemail and then will go into "searching". I've tried another Tmobile sim card with the same result and i've tried to jailbreak it with XP, Vista and a Mac... i've tried to jailbreak the phone at least 20 times in the last week all resulting in the "searching"

My last attempt went as follows:

Downloaded a new version of the restore software - Connected Itunes using their software and restored. Once restored by Itunes, I attempted to restore again using downloaded ISPW 3.0 software by hitting Shift - Restore... restored using restore software downloaded - Restored Iphone - Opened up Redsn0w and ran software - install Cydia and Unlock, uploaded new bin bootloaders 3.9, 4.6 to the phone... jailbroke phone... inserted sim - shows Tmobile service, called voicemail, works, waited 5 minutes, called voicemail, call failed no service....... then the dreaded "searching............" at this point i would change APN to wap.voicestream.com or internet2.voicestream.com "E" Edge network symbol will show up next to TMobile... tried voicemail... call failed... Searching.....................

I've tried every alternate suggestion from this thread including restoring from airplane mode and running setup through DFU, sacrificing a virgin and downloading bootneuter and ran bootloaders through that and still had the same results.

It's not my phone service because i can insert my card into my blackberry and it works perfectly.

Is there anything else anyone can think of... it's about to be a permanent ipod.

Thanks Everyone!!!
    Last edited by MBSurfer843; 2009-08-27 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks

WOW, I updated to 3.0.1 today with no problems and I never removed my tmobile sim throughout the whole process. I already had 3.0 restore from the initial 3.0 update in my downloads folder and put that on my desktop, I used previous bin 3.9 and 4.6 from the last 3.0, and downloaded the new redsnow 0.8 and put everything on the desktop. I opened itunes and had previously downloaded 3.0.1 and did the install after it was done basically locking the phone. I closed itunes and ran redsnow chose 3.0 restore successfully, selected the 3.9 and 4.6 and the last part for DFU mode. I turned off the device plugged in did the home and power button then stuck in reboot (I unplugged the cable and plugged back in ) and ramdisk started unlocking and jailbroke my iphone 2G!!!!It seems like your almost there except your changing things that should not be changed IMHO. You need to reboot in between the internet2 or epc and add the 1.07 flexpay download from cydia to activate the internet and good idea to add dashboard from cydia.

I don't know if this will help anyone but i found out what my problem was,
    Somehow one of my bootloader files was corrupted, i opened the folder they were in and just by chance i noticed that they were different sizes, i downloaded new copies and it was fine.
    Explains why i had to use bootneuter to unlock it .
    Bee...

I haven't tried to jailbreak it in a couple of days... so i'm going to give it another shot... i'll follow the exact steps and document it and see if anyone sees anything i'm doing wrong.

Thanks...

I killed my phone trying to do the same thing, now after I intereupted the BootNeuter I am left with ibrick! I am not sure what my problem was, old sim that I had for a long time, corrupted bootloader files, or what.. But I tried to JB with redsnow with and without icy, 0.7 and 0.8 redsn0w versions, iphone still did not see t-mobile SIM!! Then I remember when I did the JB I saw the last step when bootneuter did its thing and I the phore restarted and still saw no SIM, I remember when I checked packages in Cydia Bootneuter was not there! I just remembered, thats why I was able to download it from Cydia and ran the boot neuter with the band that it found and turned all things on, it still did not work, still did not see my SIM, then I re-restored to 3.0 again, redid the whole process with different bootloader this time, I think 3.9, flashed it, still did not see my SIM!! Then without re-restoring it that last time I went and checked the FakeBlank off and flashed it, thats when the BootNeuter got stock flashing with Do not interupt pop up for like 15min, I thought it was OK to just reboot the phone, and that was it! Lost all my firware and baseband, corrupted it, now trying to resolve it for over a week, with no progress, be very carefull guys the Neuter kills!! Hahaha.. Just FWI, I am sure you saw my sad thread, you can read exactly what i did to kill mine, I have a few guys on here trying to help me, I hope we succeed, care to add any info, here is a thread: http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-a...ter-2-1-a.html

I have upgraded an iphone to 3.0 and unlocked and jailbroken with redsn0w. I took a sim from my black jack which has a data plan and a talk/text package on it and it works in the iphone but when I try to use the internet it says no cellular data plan. There is no option for APN settings in the network settings, just VPN. Please tell me how to set it up on my phone to use data. Im leaving for a week long trip later today and it would be badass to have internet on my new iphone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast