Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G 3.0 Unlocking, No Service with ultrasn0w

Default iPhone 3G 3.0 Unlocking, No Service with ultrasn0w
    Hello all,

A few days ago when redns0w and ultrasn0w came out for Windows, I was excited and quickly downloaded the newest iPhone firmware directly from iTunes 8.2 (iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw).

I did a full restore of my iPhone, bringing it from 2.2 with yellowsn0w to 3.0. As usual, the message about the iPhone being locked popped up, and I ignored it and closed iTunes.

I then launched redsn0w and jailbroke my iPhone, it worked perfectly and I had a play around with the new features before loading Cydia (developer settings, wifi) and doing a complete upgrade of it, just incase ultrasn0w required something from this.
    The upgrade worked fine, I reloaded Cydia, added the ultrasn0w repository, and downloaded ultrasn0w. After downloading and it being installed, I turned off my iPhone by holding down the power button, and swiping the button across.

After it was turned off, I inserted my SIM Card, an Optus Postpaid (Australia) that worked fine with all 2.x, and yellowsn0w etc.

I turned my phone back on, and the OPTUS Carrier name appeared, and the signal bars were full (they are always full at home). I heard it receiving some SMS's, and I replied back to them. I did a test call to and from my iPhone (using my home phone), and it worked 100%. I don't use 3G, so I didn't test that.

Everything worked for the rest of the day, until my iPhone ran out of power from all the testing and playing around with the new 3.0 firmware, and me not being home to charge it.

So when I got home, I plugged in my iPhone, and left it to charge.. when I came back later and turned it on, I found that I had no service. No worries I thought, I'll just give it a reboot and I'm sure that'll fix it.

15 reboots later doing everything I could think of, there was still no signal.

So I decided to try and restore it, and try the steps again. It didn't work. I tried restoring and jailbreaking and ultrasn0w'ing it many time, but I haven't been able to recover my signal again, or pick up any local carriers in the Carriers screen that usually shows local carriers (vodaphone, telstra etc).

I have tried:
    • Installing Mobile Terminal and typing in ultrasn0w, which gives Resource Busy, and doesn't do anything.
    • In Mobile Terminal, trying each of the options that ultrasn0w has, no dice.
    • Trying my SIM Card in another phone which works perfectly, I can use it 100% in the phone.
    • Trying other SIM Cards in the phone (all on the OPTUS network), non of which work.
    • Multiple reboots of the iPhone, Multiple restores.

I also use redsn0w on Windows if that makes any difference.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3g
    Have you tried turning 3G off ?

Quote Originally Posted by paidinfull View Post
    Have you tried turning 3G off ?
    Yes, and also data roaming on and off.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I just let it sit cuz it happens to me one every few days but it comes back within less than a minute. Have you tried installing ultrasn0w through Icy?

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    I just let it sit cuz it happens to me one every few days but it comes back within less than a minute. Have you tried installing ultrasn0w through Icy?
    I found icy was very bugged when ticking it in redsn0w 0.72, and that it would show old versions of software as well as not showing new software 95% of the time when I added a repository.

I will reinstall the iPhone using cydia, and then install Icy that way. I've left my iPhone for about 30 minutes at a time usually, so it's not that i'm not waiting long enough.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am having the same problem on tmobile, upon boot up is says no sim for a second then it sees the sim and aquires a signal, this continues to happen intermittent, will work fine for hours then all the sudden says no sim,loses signal,then it sees sim and reconnects to carrier. I have rerun redsnow 3times.(only ran ultra once afte initial Jailbreak) (leaving icy unchecked and with 3g off),it's not a sim problem,happens no matter what sim is installed. iPhone 3g 16gb 3.0 tmobile carrier. Apn is Hiptop.t-mobile.com(sim is from my sidekick lx)
    I also have a 1st gen iPhone that works flawless with any sim,only 3g is have this issue.
    Any suggestions?

How do I remove Icy? I have Cydia updated and working,had to reredsnow with icy unchecked to fix cydia and update, now I want to get rid of icy and see if it fixes the issue I posted above this post.

Ps I have a relativly new iPhone 3g that worked fine with 2.2.1 and this same sim...
    Last edited by IPhoneMD; 2009-06-29 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by IPhoneMD View Post
    I am having the same problem on tmobile, upon boot up is says no sim for a second then it sees the sim and aquires a signal, this continues to happen intermittent, will work fine for hours then all the sudden says no sim,loses signal,then it sees sim and reconnects to carrier. I have rerun redsnow 3times.(only ran ultra once afte initial Jailbreak) (leaving icy unchecked and with 3g off),it's not a sim problem,happens no matter what sim is installed. iPhone 3g 16gb 3.0 tmobile carrier. Apn is Hiptop.t-mobile.com(sim is from my sidekick lx)
    I also have a 1st gen iPhone that works flawless with any sim,only 3g is have this issue.
    Any suggestions?

How do I remove Icy? I have Cydia updated and working,had to reredsnow with icy unchecked to fix cydia and update, now I want to get rid of icy and see if it fixes the issue I posted above this post.

Ps I have a relativly new iPhone 3g that worked fine with 2.2.1 and this same sim...
    I had to restore and rejailbreak and reultrasn0w to get Icy off my iPhone (after ticking it in 0.72), it totally messes everything up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks Josh,Was hoping it wouldn't come to this(full restore) but as of now my 3g is in the process of the full restore, I will post after I red and ultra it again,this time with no Icy.

Thanks Josh,Was hoping it wouldn't come to this(full restore) but as of now my 3g is in the process of the full restore, I will post after I red and ultra it again,this time with no Icy.
    so far so good,3hrs no problems after restore,rered-no icy,reultra.Will update tomorrow.
    Last edited by IPhoneMD; 2009-06-30 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Smile Solution to NO SERVICE
    Here is the only solution / workround to the no Service problem, Switch IPHONE OFF, remove sim and place in a working phone, boot up and place a call to any number eg answer phone, switch off phone place in Iphone boot it back up and within 30 seconds full signal and service provider, warning this needs to be done everytime you switch off, I know it is no ideal but until a fix is issued this will get you working.

Cheers
    TW34

Quote Originally Posted by tw34 View Post
    Here is the only solution / workround to the no Service problem, Switch IPHONE OFF, remove sim and place in a working phone, boot up and place a call to any number eg answer phone, switch off phone place in Iphone boot it back up and within 30 seconds full signal and service provider, warning this needs to be done everytime you switch off, I know it is no ideal but until a fix is issued this will get you working.

Cheers
    TW34
    Tried this with 4 different SIMS, no service still.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

24hrs still working perfect no signal lost, no wierd "no sim" error, one thing that I did was restore and rered-reultra with no sim card installed,only put in my tmobile sim after the reboot ultra requires, Josh have you tried this yet? If anyone wants 1on1 help send me an email @ [email protected] I have fixes for a number of 3.0,redsnow,and ultra issues.

24hrs still working perfect no signal lost, no wierd "no sim" error, one thing that I did was restore and rered-reultra with no sim card installed,only put in my tmobile sim after the reboot ultra requires, Josh have you tried this yet? If anyone wants 1on1 help send me an email @ [email protected] I have fixes for a number of 3.0,redsnow,and ultra issues.
    I'll try this, I'm pretty sure I've tried it but I'll give it a shot thanks!

edit: Nope, did not work. No "no sim", just goes straight to no service.
    Last edited by TheJoshX; 2009-07-01 at 01:16 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What different carrier sim cards have you tried? Do you know which frequency Optus is? Also what is the APN usually set to?Going to try and replicate.
    Last edited by IPhoneMD; 2009-07-02 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Forgot how to read.

I've got the same situation at TheJoshX. Have gone through both the redsnow/ultrasnow and pwnage/ultransow process numerous times and sill getting "no service" or constant searching for the carrier. I use T-Mobile US. I did borrow a colleague's AT&T SIM and the service came up instantly. Popped out the AT&T SIM and then inserted the T-Mobile SIM and connected right up for both voice and edge. Then went to iTunes, told iTunes I have a new phone, and started moving contacts, apps, etc. to the iPhone. At this time the iPhone when into "no service" mode.

My t-mobile sim is fairly old. I think around 8 years old at least. I'll drop by a T-Mobile store and get a new sim and see if that helps.

Any ideas are welcomed!! Sure hope someone figures out what is going on here.

I did try earlier to restore my phone back to 2.2.1 but I tunes wouldn't load that restore image onto my phone after I upgraded to 3.0. So I need to get 3.0 working or figure out a way to fall back to 2.2.1. Or as a last resort, sign up with AT&T (which I DON'T want to do).

Got a new SIM and put that in the G3 iPhone. Came right up, connected to T-Moible, and I'm back working just fine so far.

Hopefully, this solves the problem. I'm a bit hesitant to plug my iPhone into iTunes.
    Last edited by pderby; 2009-07-02 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pderby For This Useful Post:

b3nny (2009-09-22)

What different carrier sim cards have you tried? Do you know which frequency Optus is? Also what is the APN usually set to?Going to try and replicate.
    No idea what frequency Optus would be, I don't use EDGE (if that's what you mean for the APN settings) since the costs here in Australia is very, very expensive.

The SIM Card is new, only 6 months old since I bought a new one when yellowsn0w came out because I had the same issue. It just randomly started working with all SIM Cards one day, so no idea about that!

Quote Originally Posted by pderby View Post
    I've got the same situation at TheJoshX. Have gone through both the redsnow/ultrasnow and pwnage/ultransow process numerous times and sill getting "no service" or constant searching for the carrier. I use T-Mobile US. I did borrow a colleague's AT&T SIM and the service came up instantly. Popped out the AT&T SIM and then inserted the T-Mobile SIM and connected right up for both voice and edge. Then went to iTunes, told iTunes I have a new phone, and started moving contacts, apps, etc. to the iPhone. At this time the iPhone when into "no service" mode.

My t-mobile sim is fairly old. I think around 8 years old at least. I'll drop by a T-Mobile store and get a new sim and see if that helps.

Any ideas are welcomed!! Sure hope someone figures out what is going on here.

I did try earlier to restore my phone back to 2.2.1 but I tunes wouldn't load that restore image onto my phone after I upgraded to 3.0. So I need to get 3.0 working or figure out a way to fall back to 2.2.1. Or as a last resort, sign up with AT&T (which I DON'T want to do).

Got a new SIM and put that in the G3 iPhone. Came right up, connected to T-Moible, and I'm back working just fine so far.

Hopefully, this solves the problem. I'm a bit hesitant to plug my iPhone into iTunes.
    As I bought my iPhone in Hong Kong locked (this was RIGHT before they came out factory unlocked in both Hong Kong AND Australia much to my dismay), I cannot test with an AT&T sim. If I can't get my darn phone working, I'll probably have to end up buying a 3GS with my Tax Return at the end of the month and giving my phone away to a family member.

I've tried everything these last few days, and am getting so frustrated it's getting annoying.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You may want ("want" is a bad term,"need" is better) to do a full format via the iPhones settings(erase all) this could take up to two hours. When finished do a restore in iTunes, (Do not reinstall any of your personal data or programs just yet). After the restore go back and rered(only checking cydia) and reultra. This way you are eliminating any SW conficts that may be from old unlock code. After you unlock with ultra reboot put your sim in and test your carrier.Now you can start to replace your personal data. Basically you are jailbreaking and unlocking a new iPhone.
    Please repost or send me an email afterwards and confirm whether or not this did it.Trying to eliminate any SW conflicts.
    [email protected]
    J

18. The Following User Says Thank You to IPhoneMD For This Useful Post:

TheJoshX (2009-07-03)

You may want ("want" is a bad term,"need" is better) to do a full format via the iPhones settings(erase all) this could take up to two hours. When finished do a restore in iTunes, (Do not reinstall any of your personal data or programs just yet). After the restore go back and rered(only checking cydia) and reultra. This way you are eliminating any SW conficts that may be from old unlock code. After you unlock with ultra reboot put your sim in and test your carrier.Now you can start to replace your personal data. Basically you are jailbreaking and unlocking a new iPhone.
    Please repost or send me an email afterwards and confirm whether or not this did it.Trying to eliminate any SW conflicts.
    [email protected]
    J
    I think I tried this in 2.2 and it might of worked, and I'll try again now. Thank you very much for helping me so far, and I really, really appreciate it that you've taken time out you've day to help me, a frustrated iPhone user.

No, it didn't work. When I did a full format, when it finished (when I checked), it kept rebooting onto the apple logo and freezing with the little (_) thing spinning.

So I put the iPhone into DFU, and restored using iPhone and did all the steps again. No dice.
    Last edited by TheJoshX; 2009-07-03 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

For T-Mobile users with "No Sim" and/or "No Service" issues after Ultrasn0w:

Solution: get a new SIM from T-Mobile. The SIM I was using came with a phone I purchased in 2002 which apparently old enough to cause issues with newer phones. The swap was free as the card was undamaged and my 16gb 3G recognized it immediately.

I spent the better part of two days trying to figure out what the hell was causing the issue and tried everything people in this thread suggested when a friend who had seen my SIM a while back suggested that it might be too old.

I haven't seen this fix posted anywhere yet so hopefully this helps some equally-frustrated people out and if so, feel free to hit the Thanks! button

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wraith1138 For This Useful Post:

b3nny (2009-09-22), cedm12 (2009-09-06)

The thread at Click Here is where I posted my experience with having to replace my old T-Mobile SIM.

Cydia has NEW update for the UltraSnow. After installing and rebooted my 3G iPhone retrieves carrier signal in secs! Faster than I had UltraSnow installed the first time.

I highly recommend everyone to update their UltraSnow in Cydia.
    iPhone 3GS 32gb | iOS Jailbroked | Winterboard Custom Theme| Ultrasn0w Unlocked
    AMD X2 2.6GHz CPU (Overclocked @ 3.2Ghz) | Asus M2N-SLI Mobo | G.Skill DDR2800 2GB Mem
    Xbox360 Elite | XCM CPU/GPU Fan | Talismoon Fan | Xecuter NAND/JTAG | iXtreme LT Firmware
    Toyota 2JZ-GE | Turboeast Stage 1 Turbo Kit | Haltech F10x Fuel EMS | AEM Boost & A/F Gauges

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast