Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Copy everything from 2g to unlocked 3g

Thanks

Question Copy everything from 2g to unlocked 3g
    Not really an "unlocking" question, per se, so please move to the appropriate forum if need be.

I've got an iPhone 2g (still running 1.1.1 LOL!), and my 16gb iPhone 3g is unlocked using ultrasn0w. Confirmed that it works by popping in my SIM, I get a signal and everything, picks up the carrier, all is good.

So now my question is this: what's the easiest/best way to copy/move/sync everything from the 2g to the 3g? I can't use Outlook for the contacts, since my Outlook is for work (and thus has all the employees in it.) Can I just do a backup of the 2g and then restore that to the 3g? Or...?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

I have read that others have had success by syncing to a back up of the original device. I believe you'll be fine.

Thanks

Guess it can't hurt. I can do a backup of the 2G (hopefully; when I tried to put a song on it yesterday, it told me that all songs would be erased since I use a new laptop now, and I used to sync everything on my OLD laptop, which died.) I have the 3G setup pretty much the way I want, so hopefully it'll work.

Well, the good news is that doing the backup of the 2G and then restoring the backup to the 3G *did* copy all my contacts, call logs, texts, and mail.

The BAD news is that it didn't copy my songs; my email passwords, and it reset the home screen (which I had setup using Categories.)

So, no huge deal, I guess the biggest thing is for me to go through my music library and re-add the songs.

edit: Forgot to mention, now I need to go find a decent case so my 3G doesn't get all scratched up (especially the back) like my 2G did. Wonder if there's any place I can send my 2G to so I can get it "refreshed" and cleaned up, removing the scratches and whatnot...
    Last edited by HotStuff2; 2009-06-28 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HotStuff2 View Post
    Guess it can't hurt. I can do a backup of the 2G (hopefully; when I tried to put a song on it yesterday, it told me that all songs would be erased since I use a new laptop now, and I used to sync everything on my OLD laptop, which died.) I have the 3G setup pretty much the way I want, so hopefully it'll work.

Well, the good news is that doing the backup of the 2G and then restoring the backup to the 3G *did* copy all my contacts, call logs, texts, and mail.

The BAD news is that it didn't copy my songs; my email passwords, and it reset the home screen (which I had setup using Categories.)

So, no huge deal, I guess the biggest thing is for me to go through my music library and re-add the songs.

edit: Forgot to mention, now I need to go find a decent case so my 3G doesn't get all scratched up (especially the back) like my 2G did. Wonder if there's any place I can send my 2G to so I can get it "refreshed" and cleaned up, removing the scratches and whatnot...
    You may want to PM cpjr, he does iPhone repair and case replacement.
    Odd, about your music, should be able to sync that too. Isn't that the biggest thing about iTunes? Did you have the music checked when syncing?

Thanks

Now that you mention it, I don't think I did. because iTunes told me it would erase everything & replace it with the current library (which is empty on this laptop, obviously.) No big deal.

Thanks

sync again and put a check by it this time.