Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: something weird happened today

Thanks

Default something weird happened today
    I have an unlocked iphone 2g on t-mobile and the area where i live doesn't have Edge, much less 3g. anyway, i was at school today when i looked at my phone and saw the Edge icon up at the top. i was so excited thinking t-mobile finally had edge covered in my area. so i thought of calling them to ask if they also offered 3g (I might buy an android phone from them)

to my surprise, my call gets answered by an AT&T answering machine! and when i looked at the carrier under settings it said AT&T!

before, i could only see the options to choose from at&t or t-mobile but i could never choose at&t, i'd always get an error. now i get to choose which carrier i want to have...

Edge and calls work perfectly even though my sim card is a t-mobile sim. so now my question is... will 3g work if i had an iphone 3g?! i'm running 3.0 on my iphone btw (don't know if that matters)

Do T-Mobile have an agreement with AT&T where you are? I'm not sure how it works over there but you might be running up a very large roaming bill....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Since your using a T-Mobile SIM the 3G will not work on a iPhone 3G

iPhone? More like MyPhone picassolsus's Avatar
    Thanks

lolz

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller7536 View Post
    Since your using a T-Mobile SIM the 3G will not work on a iPhone 3G
    I'm not actually sure that that is the case. T-Mobile do not have a 3G network on the frequency that the iPhone can use, but if his phone is connecting to AT&T's network the iPhone can use that, I do not believe it is SIM dependant provided 3G is enabled on his account the it *might* be possible.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

well i called t-mobile and they were surprised i had AT&T coverage with a t-mobile sim card. they said not to worry about it since my t-mobile plan has unlimited roaming and to just enjoy it lol.

thing is it stopped working a couple of weeks ago.. so no more AT&T or Edge signal for me

i had my girl choose AT&T on her iphone 3g. she got Edge but when she turned on the 3g under settings she lost signal. so nope.... it's not possible to have 3g under t-mobile using the AT&T signal