Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What are the next steps?

Default What are the next steps?
    Hi all,

First off thanks for a great forum, already spent hours reading up on jailbreaking and unlocking!

Hoping someone can help me out with this one, it's not complicated but I'd like someone to tell me the right steps to take.

I have a brand new iPhone 3G 16GB, activated with an old O2 sim card. Firmware is version 2.2.1 (5H11) and modem firmware is 02.30.03.

I would like to upgrade to 3.0 and unlock the phone to use on the Three network. Do I need to do anything while I am on the 2.2.1 firmware, i.e. downgrade baseband, or if I can upgrade to 3.0, could someone explain the steps to unlock?

Thanks in advance

Jez

Default Next Steps
    There are great guides available on ModMyi to do what you want. Basically, backup and restore to 3.0 via iTunes; use RedSn0w to activate and Jailbreak in Windows. Cydia is installed with
    RedSn0w, so open Cydia, do the upgrades as prompted, then reopen and add the UltraSn0w source (How to guide to add this source is on ModMyi), install UltraSn0w and now your phone is Jailbroken, unlocked and activated. Should be a airly straight forward process

3. The Following User Says Thank You to normdepal For This Useful Post:

sloutrou (2009-06-25)

Thankyou for the advice

Can anyone just confirm that I don't have to do anything with the baseband before I upgrade to 3.0?

you don't...i just went through upgrading my old first gen phone from firmware 1.1.4 up to 3.0, and unlocked it for my friend. didn't have to do anything prior to upgrading. just go straight to iTunes and restore to 3.0 and use redsn0w to take care of everything, it's a great program
    Peter: "Brian! There's a message in my alphabits! It says 'OOOOOOOOO'!!!!!"
    Brian: "Peter...those are Cheerios."

Guides:
    Moving Applications into the Media Partition to get more space for third party apps

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rianbattle For This Useful Post:

sloutrou (2009-06-25)

The baseband doesn't matter. Ultrasnow will unlock any baseband. Just download redsnow to jailbreak to get cydia, then open up ultrasnow through cydia. It is very simple, just make sure you turn off the 3g first before unlocking with ultrasnow.

Don't forget to hit the thanks button.

Good Luck!
    Give me some free... Free! Which way is to... Give me some free...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to elcaptain0069 For This Useful Post:

sloutrou (2009-06-25)