Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activating an iPhone 3G w/ 3.0 OS... help please!

Default Activating an iPhone 3G w/ 3.0 OS... help please!
    Hi, I'm new here and would appreciate any advice or help. I've been endlessly googling for the answer but haven't found anything so I thought I'd post here.
    I'm already an At&t customer and just bought a used iPhone 3G w/ 3.0 OS off of ebay, and I want to use the iPhone without the mandatory data plan (I'm a college student that has wifi basically everywhere I go, I have no need to pay the extra 30/month).
    I was planning on calling At&t and telling them to block all data on my number so I don't incur any unnecessary charges, then unofficially activating the iPhone myself.

What would be the best way to go about this on an iPhone 3G w/ 3.0 OS? I don't need to unlock since I'm planning on using the phone with At&t, right? Do I need to jailbreak first in order to activate, or is there a way to just activate without jailbreaking? If I do need to jailbreak, can I jailbreak, activate, then undo the jailbreak? What program should I use?

I've been reading about QuickPwn and UltraSn0w but I'm getting a little confused, so I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Just jailbreak to unlock. AT&T wont be able to help you in any way. They'll just want you to pay for the extra iphone plan or whatever. Just jailbreak your phone and you'll be set. If you lose the jailbreak, your back to where you started. So i dont understand why you would want to jailbreak just to activate then lose the jailbreak. It doesnt make any sense at all to me.

SO, the only option you have is to jailbreak. If your on windows, use redsnow or whatever. Im a mac person so im not too familiar with jailbreaking with windows. But, if your on a mac, use pwnagetool.

As far as I'm aware you should be able to use any AT&T sim card, regardless of whether it is on an iPhone plan or not, in your iPhone without needing to jailbreak. The phone should activate with any AT&T sim.

I'm not 100% sure on this working in the USA as I'm in the UK, but here that is what I do... I use a non iPhone O2 sim with 40% staff discount (no discount on the iPhone plans) and my phone activates fine.