Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking by extracting firmwares from legally unlocked iPhones?

Default Unlocking by extracting firmwares from legally unlocked iPhones?
    I don't know if this has been tried before. But I have unlocked phones of other brands in the past. One of the methods are flashing the legally unlocked firmware from other regions of the world to the locked ones.

AFAIK some regions do sell iPhones legally unlocked, for example New Zealand, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia, some parts of Europe, etc. I don't know if their unlocked firmware can be used in locked USA/Canada/UK/etc phones. If this were something that no one had tried before. I think it's worth trying. The only problem is to obtain those firmwares.

Correct me if I were wrong.
    Last edited by terrorgen; 2009-06-14 at 09:25 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Factory unlocked devices run the same firmware as the one you would get if you where to walk into the store in the US or UK its the serial that allows the sim to work.

Some how the activate is allowed by the serial number from the device so when its connected to iTunes it just gathers the carrier bundle like it does with yellowsn0w.

Extracting the software will not obtain anything apart from a software clone of a iPhone.