Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Quick AT&T Unlocking Question for iPhone 3g

Default Quick AT&T Unlocking Question for iPhone 3g
    Sorry if this has been answered a bunch of times, but I tried researching it and searching the site but haven't come up with a solid answer.

So I know that you can't have t-mobile work with the 3g with the 2.30.03 modem firmware, but is it possible to unlock it for just a regular AT&T plan? For example, if I jailbreak the iPhone 3g using Pwnagetool can I use a normal non-iphone plan from AT&T?

Again, sorry for the noob question. Thanks alot

i would think so, yes, but ATT can probably find out by checking your IMEI, not sure if they will though maybe someone else has a definite answer.

as for using it on t mobile, you can still unlock your 3g with a turbosim or something similar to it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Just buy a att gophone and use the sim that comes with it. Since its already activated just slip it in the 3g and youre good to go. Worked for me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The iPhone activated within the carrier shop are Carrier iPhone Tariff locked simply come home take the sim out put your sim in (Must be same carrier) then restore and activate with your SIM.

Works perfectly

i just tried to unlock my iphone 3g with a cingular/at&t sim card i'm still getting this this no service (null) (null) thing...any ideas?

Restore your phone with the AT&T SIM in and let iTunes activate.
    If you then want to jailbreak, go ahead. If you jailbreak without a SIM it 'activates' the phone which does for all SIMs except the SIM from the carrier it is locked too.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

okay, i did exactly what you just said, i took my cingular 3g sim out and restored the iphone back to factory settings, back to the original screen where it tells you to connect it to itunes on the screen, and then i put my 3g cingular sim card back in and used pwnagetool to jailbreak/unlock it with 2.2 software and it is still doing the no bar (null)(null) thing even after i tried to turn airplane mode on. i'm pretty sure i hit a brick wall here, but if anyone can help me it'd be much appreciated.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Why are you unlocking you cant cause your at 02.30.00

The best way to do it is.

1) Put the SIM in you want to activate with in your case the AT&T Normal tarriff SIM
    2) Restore to Apple's official firmware
    3) Let it do its thing
    4) Once restore is done you come to iTunes Activation Required screen
    5) Keep connected and iTunes will activate it.
    6) Once you in to the system - QuickPwn it

Regards

By the way in the UK i've been running on my own O2 contract since day 1 of iPhone 3G

When you put your SIM in did you let iTunes activate it?