Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock Fido Iphone 3G

Default Unlock Fido Iphone 3G
    Hi i bought an iphone quite some time back. Right now, I'm not at Canada the place where i bought the phone so I would like to unlock the phone but I could not find a suitable solution to it.
    Hope you guys can shed some light to it.

IPHONE 3G
    FIDO
    VERSION 2.1 5F136
    MODEM FIRMWARE 02.11.07

let me know if u guys require more information.
    Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Download firmware 2.2 for the iPhone 3G from our download section. Plug into iTunes.. hold shift and click restore. This will bring up a box for you to select the 2.2 firmware you just downloaded. This will bring you up to firmware 2.2 with baseband 2.28. You will then download Quickpwn 2.2-1 from our download section and run this to jailbreak. Finally you will open Cydia on your phone and download and install yellowsn0w to unlock.

Poseidon79's instructions are fine but a couple of extra points for clarification.
    1)Make sure you do NOT download or upgrade to FW 2.21 - YellowSn0w only works with the BB that comes with FW2.20. Upgrading to FW 2.2q will render YellowSn0w useless.
    2) I believe Fido's 3G network runs on 850Mhz so is incompatible with the iPhone 3G - Rogers 3G network is fine. If you only have Fido you will have to turn off 3G and will be restricted to Edge data.

Good luck.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

eh what do u mean by fw 2.21? isn't there only 1 firmware to dl?

btw my itunes is 8.1.1 and i'm using a vista. The problem is when i press shift, there isn't a box asking me to choose.
    Thanks
    Last edited by yammmy; 2009-06-06 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    2) I believe Fido's 3G network runs on 850Mhz so is incompatible with the iPhone 3G - Rogers 3G network is fine. If you only have Fido you will have to turn off 3G and will be restricted to Edge data.
    Rogers owns Fido, 3G won't be an issue.

Fido | 3G High-Speed - FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by yammmy View Post
    eh what do u mean by fw 2.21? isn't there only 1 firmware to dl?
    If you dowload the FW from Apple you WILL lock your phone.
    Follow the instructions here
    btw my itunes is 8.1.1 and i'm using a vista. The problem is when i press shift, there isn't a box asking me to choose.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wondertwins View Post
    Rogers owns Fido, 3G won't be an issue.

Fido | 3G High-Speed - FAQ
    Rogers bought Fido but have not, or so I believe, merged the networks. Fido's 3G is still 850 and therefore can NOT be used with the iPhone.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    That would also be incorrect!

If my information is incorrect please provide the correct information?
    Are the two networks merged?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    LOL... Google

The Fido network doesn't exist. It's simply a name associated with a SIM card.

Fido certainly used to exist [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fido_Solutions]Fido Solutions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

People on Fido have reported not being able to use Rogers phones unless unlocked and not being able to use 3G.

Googling 'fido 3g band' returns lots of references to Fido 3G being on 850Mhz.

I am not in Canada so can't confirm anything but lots of people seem to have problems on Fido and not Rogers.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Dude, seriously... read your own link.

Fido Solutions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Network

The Fido network originally ran solely on GSM 1900 and offered coverage in major urban areas in Canada. Since the acquisition of Fido by Rogers Wireless in 2004, Rogers integrated the networks, giving Fido customers additional coverage and access to GSM 850.