Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Reset Erase settings has bricked 2G iPhone after Pwnage.

Post Reset Erase settings has bricked 2G iPhone after Pwnage.
    I recently did a successful jailbreak and unlock of 2G iPhone with 2.2.1 firmware using latest Pwnage tool. It all worked great. Not a single problem until I wanted to wipe the settings and data so that the phone could be used by someone else, i.e. using the reset option from inside the phones settings.

I have done this before on 2G iPhones on older firmware versions with no problems. This time, after the reset the phone would not restart and just constantly displays the apple logo on black screen trying to restart. I tried to re-enter D.F.U mode with some sort of success but itunes would not allow me to restore the custom IPSW file. I had to restore to an official apple downloaded restore and then had to re-hack the phone again, witch did succeed.

Why has no instructions been posted by the makers Pwnage tool saying that you cannot do a reset once your phone is hacked. I have noticed other people pointing out the same problem.

Come on guys, this is quite a big thing to miss. What is going on????

Well, whether this makes you feel better or not....its somewhat common knowledge that you cant "reset all settings" on a jailbroken phone cause this will happen.

However, as with any hacking....they do tell you its "at your own risk".

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

Trial and error?

Now you know and you wont make that mistake again now will you?
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

Default Wrong!
    Well, I dont know about you and your knowledge but as I said, if you read my post, I have done resets before on the same phone, but on older firmware, and it worked fine.

Now on the newer firmware its not working. So obviously something has changed. I didn't change anything. I'm just following online instructions that are obviously missing something and this is what I am pointing out.

Who agrees that if everyone knows you can't do a reset, then where are the instructions pointing this out? We have instructions for everything else.

Thanks

I do remember something about this way back when I was on 1.1.1!

Quote Originally Posted by euromikeym View Post
    I recently did a successful jailbreak and unlock of 2G iPhone with 2.2.1 firmware using latest Pwnage tool. It all worked great. Not a single problem until I wanted to wipe the settings and data so that the phone could be used by someone else, i.e. using the reset option from inside the phones settings.

I have done this before on 2G iPhones on older firmware versions with no problems. This time, after the reset the phone would not restart and just constantly displays the apple logo on black screen trying to restart. I tried to re-enter D.F.U mode with some sort of success but itunes would not allow me to restore the custom IPSW file. I had to restore to an official apple downloaded restore and then had to re-hack the phone again, witch did succeed.

Why has no instructions been posted by the makers Pwnage tool saying that you cannot do a reset once your phone is hacked. I have noticed other people pointing out the same problem.

Come on guys, this is quite a big thing to miss. What is going on????
    honestly, the people that take their time to experiment, make guides and post them on forums around the internet can't be expected to try every single possible option in order to screw up their hard work so that you won't make the same mistake.

it would've been taken a lot better if you'd posted and let everyone know "hey, guys, don't do an erase reset, it'll mess up your phone" instead of blaming everyone else for your problem.

this, as someone pointed out earlier, is all done at your own risk. i'm pretty sure *that* is in every single guide that you read.

good luck in the future.