Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking iPhone for prepaid sim to use international

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Unlocking iPhone for prepaid sim to use international
    Hello,

I have unlocked a 2g iPhone before but never any luck with a 3g. Anyways I am interested in getting another 2g to unlock but my question is will it or is there a way to make it work with international prepaid sim cards? For instance I am wanting Togo back to Africa but not going to use t-mobile for that it's way to expensive.

Looking for some knowledge please

Cheers

All 2G phones can be unlocked as you have found out. What's the problem?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

I have not a problem, I have a question... I know how to unlock but is the unlock I normally perform one that will work with international prepaid sim cards or do I have to do another thing or does it even work at all with international sim cards??

Which unlock are you talking about? The only software unlock for the 3G is YellowSn0w which you can't use as you have BB 2.30.03 so your only option is a 'piggyback' SIM which are flaky at best.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Hmm I do not really know I am new to this and use quickpwn it does it all. maybe I will just go with no and keep my 3g and use cheap phones for travel thank you!

Quickpwn jailbreaks, unfortunately it's not the same as unlocking.
    The problem with getting a cheap phone for travelling is just how much you'll miss your iPhone while you are away!

Thanks

Well no it unlocks too because I have purchased 3 2G phones one for my girlfriend, two or two friends they are all t-mobile and it works fine for them using it when only suppose to work on AT&T so I knownit also unlocks just was not sure about for international sim card. Like rite now I am in Europe with my 3G and not use service because it's too expensive only wifi but would love a second 2G for traveling and international sim.

You are right - and so am I!
    Quickpwn unlocks 2G phones but does not unlock 3G phones and as your device is listed as a 3G with BB 2.30.03 I didn't want to confuse matters by mentioning the 2G

Thanks

ah I see yeah I am only interested in unlocking a 2G to work with international prepaid sim ill keep my 3G separate

The 2G can be unlocked without a problem. Make sure you turn off data roaming otherwise you could be in for a very large bill.
    Enjoy your travels!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    The 2G can be unlocked without a problem. Make sure you turn off data roaming otherwise you could be in for a very large bill.
    Enjoy your travels!
    to work with international prepaid sim cards? Do I have to do anything special for this unlock or is a standard quickpwn jailbreak and unlock good enough for 2G to work with international prepaid sim cards?

I believe you should be good to go.
    See if you can borrow a SIM card from another network to try, if that gets a signal then any other SIM should work fine.

Thanks

Ahh! Yes works fine with others just did not know if it would be re same with intl prepaid sims thank you