Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Carrier Updates....

Question Carrier Updates....
    So today i plugged my iPhone in to sync with my library... and iTunes came up with a message saying that it had Carrier Updates for my iPhone... Now ive seen this message before and it was for when i had my Etisalat Sim Card in, but this time it was when my AT&T Sim was in... My iPhone is not factory unlocked, it is an AT&T phone... but since i travel a lot i have different sim cards.... what im basically asking is, is this an update for my Etisalat Carrier? or is this iTunes wanting to update my Baseband?

I dont have the 5.8 bootloader so i don't want to take the risk of updating my baseband... anyone have any insight to this? thanks!

Its an update for the simcard that was in it at the time....the "carrier" in other words.

Its not a baseband update by any means...your fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

prism2unit (2009-05-17)

Thanks Cpjr =)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

iTunes 7.7 and later has the ability to update the carrier-specific settings on iPhone with iPhone 2.0 software or later. Carrier settings updates are small files (about 10k) that are downloaded from iTunes to be installed on your iPhone. The carrier settings can include updates to the default APN (how iPhone accesses the carrier's cellular data network), special dialing codes at Settings > Phone > [Carrier] Services, default settings for Stocks, Maps, Weather, and other items.

About iPhone carrier settings updates in iTunes

See also:
    Our own commenters note that Apple has added settings for the Mobily network (Saudi Arabia) and Etisalat (United Arab Emirates) in this update as well, which adds weight to the expected 2/15 launch of the iPhone in those countries.

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/02/07/whats...arrier-update/

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

You most likely won't noice a difference but go ahead with the update, it can always be changed if it gives you problems