Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ATT sim card not recognized in Hacktivated 2G iPhone.

Default ATT sim card not recognized in Hacktivated 2G iPhone.
    I Jailbroke and Activated an old 2G iPhone to have as a backup before I send my 3G in for service. The Quickpwn worked great, but when I put my legit ATT sim card in the phone the signal banner says either no_service or just has a few bars but not carrier brand logo. I even let it sit for an hour, but still not service.

I Quickpwned it without a sim card in it. Could that be a problem? Should my 3G iPhone plan work with an old 2G, I would think so? Or do need to Quickpwn it with my legit sim inside?

--
    Erik

Thanks

When you say you activated it, did you unlock it? I have 2 old 2G iPhones in the house. One we legitimized all i did was restore in iTunes and put my son's sim card in and activate in iTunes. Its jailbroken but not unlocked. It has a 2G iPhone plan as a result(intended). Now for the other old 2G, my husband took that one and had no interest in using data on it. I restored firmware in itunes, Used Quickpwn to jailbreak it and then used Bootneuter to unlock it. The just took the SIM out of his V3 and put it into the iPhone. Works perfectly ever since (last August). No data plan charges.

I imagine that if you have a legitimate ATT 3G data plan. if you unlock the 2G phone so it won't set up an additional data plan, your 3G plan will suffice, especiallly since this is a temporary setup.

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

Try restoring it, and rejailbreaking without the 'Activate' option checked in quickpwn/pwnagetool (whichever you use)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

My suggestion would be to jailbreak it with the sim in. That has worked for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    My suggestion would be to jailbreak it with the sim in. That has worked for me.
    Same, this as well

I put my legit sim card in, restored with Apple software, did the QuickPWN again and the results are the same. I did go into the "about" menu and I notice that the Carrier is listed as (null)(null). This seems to be a problem that has been occuring. The solutions being offered are to d owhat I just did. It works for some but not others.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Did you make sure that "Activate" was not clicked?

Quote Originally Posted by IvanPK View Post
    Did you make sure that "Activate" was not clicked?
    I am using QuickPWN for windows. I don't think there is an "Activate" selection. I did make sure that it was not selected, but I never came across it.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ Its there right next to jailbreak, and replace boot logos

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    ^ Its there right next to jailbreak, and replace boot logos
    I am wondering if we are talking about the same software. Is there a better software out there?

I have attached a screenshot of the options I can select.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -quickpwn_screen_erik.png  

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default no activate
    No you are right there is no activate option

He could be right there may be on on Mac but I have just activated my 2g phone using quickpwn and there's no activate bit

iPhone? More like MyPhone GADeputy's Avatar
    Thanks

Try doing this. It's worked for me before....

Restore with iTunes and then use QuickPwn to jailbrake AND unlock. There will NOT be an activate option. (Do this with your legit sim).
    After it's finished do the following and this will allow you to use any sim card.

1. Go here and download the patched lockdown file.
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

2. SSH into your iPhone using WinSCP (which you'll have to install from Cydia).

3. Navigate to /private/var/root/Library/ and copy the Lockdown folder to your computer (for backup just in case).

4. Delete the Lockdown folder from your iPhone.

5. Upload the patched Lockdown folder and files to your iPhone to replace the Lockdown folder and files you just deleted.

6. Set the file permissions to 0644 for the Lockdown folder and all files in the folder (recursively).

7. Reboot iPhone.

8. Take out the legit sim card and replace it with your other one and it should now work.

The patched Lockdown file is typically used when you get a "different sim detected" error but I've used this method before to correct the error of no carrier being shown.
    Last edited by GADeputy; 2009-05-09 at 03:44 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default activate option
    I revise my reply above, about the activate.

There is on the new firmware version 3 quickpwn, which has the activate option

See the attached screen shot, or look at the opening page on this site which shows the screen shot for quickpwn and the version 3.0 firmware.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -act.jpg  

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I have gotten Null Null before when the phone could not activate through iTunes. Once I Was able to establish a connection the Null null went away after Restoring, rejailbreaking.