Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Whats the deal with this unlock anyhow

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Whats the deal with this unlock anyhow
    Ok,

Please don't all jump at me at once, but whats the big deal with the unlock.

I have a 2g jailbroken iphone from version 1 up to the 2.2.1 and as 2g don't have the issue with the unlock .. BUT

I'm in the UK, and I know that you folks in the US have AT&T locked iphones.

So if you are with T mobile or Verison or whatever, you want to be able to use this in your iphone and so I read about alternatives to the 3g 2.30 baseband of turbosim, rebel sim etc..

But why not just go to AT&T ?

Is it just the principle ?

OK I can see the issue over "everyone knows my mobile number", so can you not just transfer your mobile number to AT&T from say T-mobile, stick in you new AT&T sim and away you go, or am I being too simple ?

I the UK you can transfer to O2 (the iphone network provider here) from another mobile operator keeping your number.

So in the UK is is not :-
    Get a pay as you go SIM on O2 and put this in the iphone and you don't need to unlock it from O2 provider.

As O2 also provide a pay as you go iphone, would this not be a choice instead of turbo sim or rebel sim ?

Or have I totally missed the point on unlocking ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The iPhone is much cheaper to operate unlocked on T-Mobile's network than on AT&T. For example... for $60 you can get 1500 min + unlimited nights/weekends. Add in the $35 data + unlimited text for smartphones for a grand total of $95 a month plus tax. With AT&T you pay $80 for 1350 min + unlimited nights/weekends. Then add in $30 for data ONLY + $20 for iPhone text unlimited for a grand total of $130 per month plus tax. Over the course of a 24 month contract you pay an extra $960.00 being on AT&T and you actually get less minutes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

whynotubabe (2009-05-09)

Also Service, where I live AT&T service is one of the worst compared to Verison or T-Mobile, a lot of dropped calls…

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Musad For This Useful Post:

whynotubabe (2009-05-09)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i don't need all that, but im on tmobile, i have 1000 minutes + unlimited nights/weekends for 39.99 added unlimited text for 15 then tzones for 5.99 for a grand total of 61+tax for smart phone and crap load of minutes i never use lol.

that vs at&ts 130 a month and im winning by 50%! woot
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smirkis For This Useful Post:

whynotubabe (2009-05-09)

Thanks

Like it was previously mentioned: price and signal for me. It's way cheaper for me to be on Tmobile than it is on ATT. My signal when I was on ATT really sucked in my area. I would drop calls all the time.

The other factor for me is customer service. Tmobile CSRs bend over backwards all the time to help me. When I had a billing issue with ATT it took 6 people and 2 months to fix my billing issue. I'm not kidding. So I paid the EFT and left for Tmobile and have been happy ever since.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Smile AT&T Sim
    Many thanks to you all for putting up with my query, and thanks for the responses.

I therefore presume that there's never a problem with putting in an AT&T sim, its just cost, and coverage.

So if you do pickup a 3g phone on the cheap, and find when you switch it on its says activate and you want to avoid the cost of the 1 year/ 2 year or whatever contract, you can just use quickpwn to jailbreak, and therefore activate the iphone, and as as probably one of the last 3g iphones, its most likely to have 2.2.1 and 2.30 with bootloader higher than the 5.8 so your only choice is to quickpwn to 2.2.1 to activate/jailbreak and you then have a locked phone, but you can insert a standard AT&T sim and you will be ok you know have a fully functioning iphone which accepts in and outgoing calls.