Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone on ATT with no data plan. I've decided to ask the pros :)

Default Iphone on ATT with no data plan. I've decided to ask the pros :)
    Tomorrow I will be getting an iPhone from a friend that has it jailbroken. I have jailbroken my iPod touch countless amounts of times.
    So what I want to do is use the iPhone with no data plan. How can I do this? I'm already with ATT and am just going to use my old sim card. It's also the first gen of the iPhone.
    So can I activate it without a data plan? I heard there's a way to turn it off. But I need to know where to start. I'll just be using wifi with
    So where do I start?
    I've searched for hours
    It's just the most important thing that I fully shut down the EDGE network on the phone so there is no chance that they can charge me for it.
    Any and help is great.
    Thanks guys

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Bossprefs can shut off edge for you and there is also an APN modifier in Cydia as well that will guarentee you never to be able to connect on a cellular data network. AT&T will however, hound you to add the data package.

Default Thank you!
    But what will ATT do? Call me and whine?
    Then I stay on the phone long enough where they just get bored and drop it?
    They wont actually add it on or charge me, correct?
    Thanks for your help!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

They have been known to simply add the plan to your account. Some people claim they have never been bothered at all.

l4ww7i, whatever u do, make sure u have edge disabled so there is no way you can connect to the data network. and yes u can disable it, as captain said, att is known to put the plan on your account without asking you (and u wont be able to do anything about it cause u signed the contract and it clearly says "att holds the right to automatically place an eligible iphone data plan on your account", blah blah. but one of my friend he didn't disable edge/3g when he canceled his data plan, he got charged a whooping 700 dollar bill. (theres a rumor that in june att will be rolling out a 15 dollar iphone 5gb data plan (5gb is the limit)) so u can probably get that if they ever roll it out