Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone with sim without data plan

Default iPhone with sim without data plan
    ok so I want to activate my iphone (2g) but my parents aren't willing to pay 20 bucks for data since its expensive... so I was thinking to get a sim without data like a regular sim, jailbreak my iphone which i already have and done this before with other sims, then just use that sim in my iphone. The problem is im wondering since when you don't have a data plan. Let's say i DON"T NEVER go on safari on my iphone and don't go to check mails. Do I still get charged even if im not on those things? Do I get charge if my mail is running in the background and is getting data from att server? I just don't want anything related to internet get us charged.

Thanks

You should be ok with a 2G as long as you shut off edge and data roaming and NEVER go on safari, mail, weather, stocks... anything that uses data unless you are surely on wifi. One of my 2G's is used by someone who only uses the phone and texts and no data plan. ATT only fusses about data plans for the 3G now. You will probably have to jailbreak and UNLOCK the phone and activate it outside of iTunes though. You can still use an ATT sim if that is what you have. Once its unlocked, you an just pop your exisiting sim into the phone and use it.

Thanks

With my service provider, Telstra, i am just on a pre-paid service (bought the iPhone outright), so i literally have no internet access when on 3G or Edge, and just use wifi when im home . Saves me a bit!