Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to legit Activate (i.e. AT&T) and then jailbreak

Default How to legit Activate (i.e. AT&T) and then jailbreak
    Wasn't sure if this belonged in activation or jailbreaking category but the 1st two questions relate to activation.

Switching from Verizon to AT&T. Have a 2G which I have previously unlocked and jailbroken. Plan to activate legitimately on AT&T when SIM card arrives (via mail). Questions I have are:
    1. As soon as I get the SIM, can I activate via iTunes even though my number won't be ported until tomorrow?
    2. Should I wait until my number is ported to jailbreak phone?
    3. As I don't want to unlock it this time, I plan to jailbreak 2.2.1 via QuickPwn-225-2. Is the only thing I need to do differently this time is to uncheck the "Unlock Phone" box or should I not install "Installer" or "Replace boot logos"? Also, since I'm not unlocking, do I need the bootloader files this time?

I already "re-virginized" the phone so it's ready to go with the SIM. And I'll be month-to-month on AT&T until the newer 3Gs come out in June. Since I'll only be jailbreaking that one too - any advice here would help.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

1. The jailbreak process will activate the phone for you... "hacktivation".
    2. You can jailbreak anytime with an iPhone 2G.
    3. If you don't chose the ulock option i don't think it will ask for bootloader files. I would avoid putting installer on your phone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

techgal77 (2009-04-22)

Thanks. So I shouldn't even bother trying to activate initially via iTunes (since I'll be a new customer) - I'm thinking I might need to set up things w/my plan? If I do that, I guess QuickPWN reactivates it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Ok wait... I take that back. You will need to unlock also (no big deal) if you bypass iTunes activation. If you don't then you'll put your SIM card in and get zero bars. The other route of course is to wait till your SIM is active... activate with iTunes.. then jailbreak.

Poseidon79 - Thanks, that was exactly what i was asking - I plan to activate via iTunes and then just plan to jailbreak using QuickPwn. Since I've always done unlock & jailbreak before, just wanted to make sure the only thing I needed to do for jailbreak is to uncheck that unlock box. Should be good to go.