Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New to iphone... tried to downgrade from 3.0 on a 2G phone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy New to iphone... tried to downgrade from 3.0 on a 2G phone
    Hello All! I hope there is someone who can help me out here. I am new so please go easy on me

I purchased a 2G 16gb iPhone that was running 3.0 beta (I got the phone from a developer). I wanted to unlock the phone and since there seems to be no unlocking software for this version I attempted to download to the 2.2.1 version (that I downloaded) using iTunes 8.0.

After iTunes attempted to restore the phone I got the dreaded Error 1604. I then read where I needed to put the phone into recovery mode and have iTunes recover it. Again, i got the Error 1604. For about 2 hours my phone kept booting/rebooting showing the USB cord and iTunes logo. I finally held down the sleep/wake and Home keys and now the screen is solid black.

What do I do to get this phone back to operational? I have tried multiple USB slots. I am running iTunes on a Vista machine. I verified that I am downloaded the right firmware for my phone.

Thanks so much.

Anne

There are several threads about the downgrade if you search.

All you gotta do...after you restore and get the error 1604....that your SUPPOSED to get....

Then hold the POWER and HOME buttons together for 15 seconds, and the phone will boot to the lockscreen.

Thats it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

annestover (2009-04-17)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks for the information. I tried holding the power/HOME down for 15 seconds, but now the phone is back to switching between the USB/iTunes log screen and Apple icon.

Does it give you a "slide" button at the bottom for "emergency" calls?? If so, its just not activated yet.

If there's no button, its in "recovery mode" and you need to hold both buttons down to take it back out of recovery and then start all over.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

annestover (2009-04-17)

"The Napoleon Dynamite of MMI" coloradoxmfan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    There are several threads about the downgrade if you search.

All you gotta do...after you restore and get the error 1604....that your SUPPOSED to get....

Then hold the POWER and HOME buttons together for 15 seconds, and the phone will boot to the lockscreen.

Thats it.

How'd you get so smart, Mr. Smarty Pants?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does it need to be plugged into the PC while I do this? Sorry to be such a pain. I should have researched what I was getting myself into by getting a phone from a developer.

Oh and there is no slide bar so it is still in recovery
    Last edited by annestover; 2009-04-17 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

^Do this:

1. Hold both power and home until the phone cuts off. That should take it out of recovery.

2. Plug it into itunes and.....

1. Hold the POWER button for 5 seconds.

2. WITHOUT letting go of POWER, now hold the HOME button for 10 seconds (both held)

3. Release the POWER button and CONTINUE to hold the HOME button until Itunes tells you the phone needs to be restored (usually 10-15 seconds)

3. Now restore to 2.2.1

4. When it finishes and give you the error, just hold both the POWER and HOME buttons for 15 seconds and the phone should boot up to the lockscreen.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

annestover (2009-04-18)

Try putting the phone in DFU mode then restoring to 2.2.1 by clicking the restore button when iTunes says the iPhone needs to be restored.

iTunes will download the necessary software then restore.

Then Run Quikpwn.

You shall be Unlocked Activated and Jailbroken on 2.2.1

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pizzahugger For This Useful Post:

annestover (2009-04-18)

"The Napoleon Dynamite of MMI" coloradoxmfan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    ^Do this:

1. Hold both power and home until the phone cuts off. That should take it out of recovery.

2. Plug it into itunes and.....

1. Hold the POWER button for 5 seconds.

2. WITHOUT letting go of POWER, now hold the HOME button for 10 seconds (both held)

3. Release the POWER button and CONTINUE to hold the HOME button until Itunes tells you the phone needs to be restored (usually 10-15 seconds)

3. Now restore to 2.2.1

4. When it finishes and give you the error, just hold both the POWER and HOME buttons for 15 seconds and the phone should boot up to the lockscreen.

What he said --- follow it, to the "T". Do not divert or you will be stuck in the same place you're at now.

Read the instructions a few times, as they can be tricky, if you're not used to the timing, etc.

GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by coloradoxmfan; 2009-04-17 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Added "Good luck!"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to coloradoxmfan For This Useful Post:

annestover (2009-04-18)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Red face Omg thank you thank you thank you
    You guys are absolutely fabulous. I followed your directions and everything is working perfectly. I was able to unlock/jailbreak/sync and use with my non-AT&T carrier. I can't even begin to tell you how great your directions were!!!!

coo, it's nice to see that positive feed back here!