Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T SIM With Unactivated iPhone 3G

Default AT&T SIM With Unactivated iPhone 3G
    I have always been big on JailBreaking iPod Touches for friends and stuff and the iPhones I have JailBroken for them have always just been the Data Plan, but I want to see if this will work.

My Fiance has a plan through AT&T (Family Talk with unlimited txt/nights and weekend minutes) and a Sony Ericsson W580i. She wants to buy an unactivated iPhone 3G, just fresh out of the box and use it with her plan. I am just wondering, can she use QuickPwn to activate it then use YellowSn0w to allow her to use her current plan on the iPhone?

Thank You

Thanks

No...at&t reads the IMEI# of the iphone locked or unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
    No...at&t reads the IMEI# of the iphone locked or unlocked.
    Are you saying that if you have one IMEI registered to your phone line, that you cant use that sim with another phone?

Because that's exactly what i have been doing for the past 2 months. Though i just got it updated today. I plan on picking up an iphone tonight, and jailbreaking/activating it and using my old sim card, with a non iphone plan.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Unlocking an iPhone has 2 purposes. Using it on a different carrier or using it on valid carrier with a non-iphone plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Unlocking an iPhone has 2 purposes. Using it on a different carrier or using it on valid carrier with a non-iphone plan.
    I dont think you have to unlock it to use it with a valid carrier, but you do have to activate it. But you must unlock it to use it on an invalid carrier.

Thanks

I had my 1st gen locked and had att prepaid sim out of a go phone. I was not able acitivate the phone it had to be unlocked and jailbroken then the prepaid att sim worked fine. My point is att prepaid or whatever you have will work but it must be unlocked if you call att and register I am pretty sure they can block it from working on your old sim.