Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: unlocked iphone can make calls but cannot receive calls

Default unlocked iphone can make calls but cannot receive calls
    Hi

Three things:

1) I am in South Africa with my unlocked iphone done using the iphonesimfree method. I am connected to Vodacom which is my cell provider. The problem i'm having is that I cannot receive calls. I can make calls perfectly well and even send and receive sms messages. But the receving calls part is irritating. I tried a competing provider MTN prepaid line and it works perfectly well, but with Vodacom, its still got the issue. I really dont want to shift to MTN as their service is bad.

2) Oh there is also an annoying call forwarding thing that keeps pitching up when making calls, is this normal?

3) Finally, is there a way to hack the phone so any and all simcards can work without me having to activate every new sim card that i put in the phone. I travel extensively and have a set of over 40 different sim cards from different countries and i really dont want to have to sit and activate all the sims.

I would appreciate any help with these issues. Thanks

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

1) Have you made sure everything is ok on your providers side?
    2) Never seen that. You don't have forwarding on, right?
    3) As long as you put the lockdownd file in /usr/libexec as I instruct in our unlock tutorials, you never have to reactivate - you just put new sim's in.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

point 1) I havent spoken to the service providers, but i read somewhere that people are having similar issues in china and i think south america with them not being able to to receive calls but they can make calls.

point 2) I also switched my call forwarding off as is standard with the iphone but it keeps pitching up when making calls. I unlocked the iphone pretty well, and it works like a charm in the uk. but these two issues keep pitching up.

point 3) I havent looked at the lockdownd file yet but can you give me a link to the procedure to use it. I've never even heard of the lockdownd file before, and thank you for your help thus far.

Thanks

1 and 2 I'm not sure on then.

3 is here. A lot of guides on the net seem to miss this, and its a crucial step to unlocking.

Thanks poetic, its good to know people are there to help out. I'll keep scouring the net for points 1 and 2 and if i find anything i'll start a new thread here.

on point 3, now that i have activated my phone, and unlocked, can i just run ifuntastic and drop lockdownd in /usr/libexec and it should work? I hope i dont have to restore my phone and start again. And i prefer to use ifuntastic because of its ease.

Thanks

I REALLY don't recommend iFuntastic. I recommend you open iNdependence, and click install SSH (require no hacking from you, just pressing the button), then follow this guide to do drag and drop file transfer.

I have exactly the same problem, also with Vodacom. Could you let me know if you have managed to get it to work?

Hi Joestriker,
    Have you resolve your problem yet? Because I have similar problem too. Please let me know if your problem caused by your carrier. Thanks!

Default Cannot Receive Calls on Vodacom SA
    Quote Originally Posted by juannel View Post
    I have exactly the same problem, also with Vodacom. Could you let me know if you have managed to get it to work?
    I have the same problem. I cannot receive calls on my unlocked iphone on the Vodacom South Africa network even when NOT using Edge.

I searched the net and have seen a few people have this problem but no solutions

Anybody have any ideas?

I have an additional question... where do you activate or deactivate call forwarding while busy/offline/out of coverage... Somehow I feel this menu is missing from my unlocked iphone or I haven't found it yet.

I'm in Costa Rica, by the way... Works GREAT!

Same here with Telkomsel, my provider in Indonesia. My phone can make outgoing calls but just unable to receive.

Default Vodacom issues
    To my fellow vodacom sa sufferers, I spoke with the guys who i bought my phone from in cape town. they advised me that it is a problem within vodacom and not the iphones. they advised me that mtn works 100%, along with helping me with updates for my iphone and some basic modding. If you have any issues you can contact them on 0726781873, they are really cool and helpful.

i have decided to move to MTN since that is the only network that works well. I went to mtn and vodacom, cancelled my contract with vodacom and ported my number to mtn. I love my iphone now, and even though i was a bit weary of mtn, they are probably a better network than vodacom. Very friendly people there, full coverage all round and works 100%. Vodacom may be the leading mobile network, but i guarantee 100% that mtn is better and i have not had 1 problem yet.

Vodacom has fixed the incoming call problem. Incoming & outgoing calls work, EDGE (GPRS) works, SMS, etc.

Hi there jrentzke,

Any ideas what vodacom did as I am having the same problem with vodacom in my country... a few tips from your end to them through me could help me getting my incoming calls working.

No one seems to be able to get a solution for this at the moment on the forums...

Please do let me know jrentzke

Thnx

Redice

Default same problem in iran
    i have the same problem in iran in some places.
    in Capital i can use my iphone normally, make calls,receive calls, send and recieve sms,wi fi and...
    but i some places i cant receive calls, i heard from someone that if i lock my i phone and then unlock it again , that whoulde be correct, i am going to do it tomorrow,
    please someone help me, i am paying 100$ to him to lock and unlock it,

Default Unlocked 3G iPhone cant receive call
    Hi,

I unlocked my phone and insert the Japan Softbank Sim card along with the unlock grevey sim card. I can make calls, but I cannot receive any call. All calls go directly to my voicemail. I disabled the voicemail then the caller will hear the number is not reachable message. Does anyone have some tips how to make my unlocked iPhone receiving calls?

I am using the firmware 2.2.1 with 02.30.03 baseband.

Much appreciate it.