Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Do any of the proxy sims actually work?

Cool Do any of the proxy sims actually work? UPDATE: Rebel SIM thoughts
    I've got an iphone 3g w/ the 2.2.1 fw. I'm on tmobile in the US (chicago). I've tried two different proxy sims. A cheap one that claimed to work on 2.2.1 from ebay, and a programmable rebel sim from the UK. I got about 8 hours at a time from the cheap one, and not much more than that with the rebel. I've exactly followed the directions from the rebel guy's PDF regarding resetting the network keys. Still can't seem to get more than a few hours. So far rebel's support has been, let's say, "less than helpful".

Does anyone have any pointers? Anyone else with a similar configuration that's gotten it to work?

UPDATE:
    As it stands right now, the Rebel SIM has been a big rip off. After many hours fiddling with it, I've got a phone that is mostly connected to the voice network for a day or two at a time. Using edge for more than just a very little amount of data kicks me off. Powering off my phone for about a minute then rebooting usually gets me back on. In any event, this is far from 100% working as they claim on their site. If I were being kind, I'd give it a rating of about 70% working.

Further, support from Rebel has been a joke. Detailed, well organized emails to their support gets me back one line, barely coherent responses. If you can find one for $10 on ebay, it's not a big deal, but if you buy from the Rebel SIM site, in my opinion you're taking a big risk with your money.

I plan on buying one of the Gevey 2 Plus SIMs recommended by taphone below. (Thanks again for the help!) I'll try to remember to post my experiences.
    Last edited by supagold; 2009-03-10 at 10:25 PM. Reason: update

Hi Supagold, this sim card works great for me, I am on O2 in UK, have a 3G iphone with 2.2.1 firmware

Default Gevey Plus 2
    The Gevey Plus 2 works just be sure you get a legit one on ebay and that it is a PLus 2 not the original or Plus version. You can get one for about $10.00. I've tried the latest Rebel for 2.2.1 it didn't work as well. Initially kept getting no sim and or no service messages. I then used the programer to update to the latest beta firmware 61i and it worked well for about four days then lost signal again. It can be reset by putting the sim in another GSM phone but it is a hassle. I haven't had this problem with Gevey so far. It may just be that US T-mobile that gives the Rebel problems or it may just be something to do with the particular sim I purchased or something particular to my phone. Also make sure you have data roaming switched on and use the t-mobile APN. Another thing you can try if you are still having problems is to go into settings on the phone and reset the network settings.

Quote Originally Posted by taphone View Post
    The Gevey Plus 2 works just be sure you get a legit one on ebay and that it is a PLus 2 not the original or Plus version. You can get one for about $10.00. I've tried the latest Rebel for 2.2.1 it didn't work as well. Initially kept getting no sim and or no service messages. I then used the programer to update to the latest beta firmware 61i and it worked well for about four days then lost signal again. It can be reset by putting the sim in another GSM phone but it is a hassle. I haven't had this problem with Gevey so far. It may just be that US T-mobile that gives the Rebel problems or it may just be something to do with the particular sim I purchased or something particular to my phone. Also make sure you have data roaming switched on and use the t-mobile APN. Another thing you can try if you are still having problems is to go into settings on the phone and reset the network settings.
    Thanks. I was actually getting ready to post about the data roaming. I noticed it listed in the guide, but was hesitant to turn it on, because I do travel some, and given tmobile's sketchy national coverage didn't want to get socked with the roaming charges. So you're saying that this is actually important to the key renewal?

I've got a G1 that I've been using for the resets. I've turned off 3G on that phone, and I've been trying to connect to ATT to clear the keys, then get back on tmobile. So far I've been using epc.tmobile.com as the APN on the iphone, but even when I was getting a signal, it didn't seem to want to connect to edge...

Anyway, thanks for the help you've already given. Seems like half the posters on this board are astroturf for the different SIM sellers (like old ben.underwod above...), so it's nice to get a response from an actual person.

Default Gevey Plus 2
    As far as I know you have to turn the data roaming on. I don't think you get charged for roaming charges just because it is switched on. I guess if you are traveling and in fact roaming you would be charged. APN = internet2.voicestream.com If you are trying to reset your T-mobile sim it doesn't make any sense to try and connect to AT&T. Maybe that was a typo in your post. You need to connect to t-mobile using the t-mobile sim you should also connect to the t-mobile internet while you are resetting the sim.

Quote Originally Posted by taphone View Post
    As far as I know you have to turn the data roaming on. I don't think you get charged for roaming charges just because it is switched on. I guess if you are traveling and in fact roaming you would be charged. APN = internet2.voicestream.com If you are trying to reset your T-mobile sim it doesn't make any sense to try and connect to AT&T. Maybe that was a typo in your post. You need to connect to t-mobile using the t-mobile sim you should also connect to the t-mobile internet while you are resetting the sim.
    I got the "connect to ATT" thing from rebel sim instruction PDF. It claims that you should try to connect to another network, just to clear the cached network keys. After it rejects you, it says that reconnecting will pull current keys from tmobile. I'll try that APN, and turn on the roaming. If I travel, I'll just take my G1. Thanks again for pointers.