Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newbie looking to unlock/jailbreak 1st gen iphone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Newbie looking to unlock/jailbreak 1st gen iphone
    Ok so heres the deal.

I just received a brand new/refub (not sure) 1st gen iphone from Apple. I got it because I dropped my iphone which dented the power button and was creating all kinds of problems, but nonetheless I am not complaining and still puzzled has to how I received the iphone for free.

I did previously have a jailbroken/unlocked iphone with tmobile, but the phone was already activated. My friend was the one who did this for me, so I didnt really get a chance to see how its done. The only problem we ran into was that the hack was for phones that had not been activated with at&t, so I assume im in good position since my phone has not been activated yet.

So my question is where do I begin to unlock and jailbreak my 1st gen iphone. Right now, my iphone jus shows the usb connecting to itunes and when i click the "info" button it shows IMEI and ICCID. I am confused as to what firmware to use to jailbreak my iphone as I cant even activate it. I tried searching around, but seems like everyones phones are already activated and they jus need the correct firmware and jailbreaking tool.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

If it is a 2G iPhone (metal-back), then you should be able to unlock it on any firmware. Just put it into DFU mode, (guide: How To: Enter DFU Restore Mode - ModMyi - Wiki) and it should be recognized by iTunes. From then on restore it to the latest firmware (2.2.1).

Once on the latest fw (firmware), download Quickpwn 2.2.5 from here: Downloads

and follow this guide to unlock/jailbreak your iPhone: iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your 2.x.x 2G iPhone Using QuickPwn (Windows)

The bold text are links so that you can download whatever you need like the bootloaders, quickpwn, etc etc. From then on it's pretty straightforward. Good luck with the process.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks neo, worked like a charm

No problem
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store