Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: using a UK (o2) iPhone 3G in US (on ATT)

Default using a UK (o2) iPhone 3G in US (on ATT)
    Hi.

I've searched low and high on this forum, and on the interweb - but unable to find out if what I'm trying to achieve is possible.

I've bought a Pay-As-You-Go iPhone 3G from an Apple store in the UK, and I've been using it with the original firmware and OS (2.2.1) for the past few months. (I don't use the Pre-Paid Sim, but rather the o2 simplicity plan)

I'm moving to the US in April, and I was hoping to take my iPhone with me to the US, and get an ATT contract/SIM to put inside it. As far as I understand, the iPhone I have is SIM locked to the o2 network currently.

Does anyone here know if it's possible to 're-flash' my firmware/baseband firmware so it thinks it's a new phone so that I may activate/use on the ATT network?

As far as I can tell, what I'm doing is completely above board/legal but I can't figure out if it's technically possible. I'd like to figure out how to do it before I go so I may sell my iPhone in the UK if need be before I go.

Thanks in advance!

- Ryan.

This seems completely legit to me. Why don't you go directly to ATT and ask them about this? Other than that you could unlock it (only with a turbo sim since it has the new baseband).
    "Apple a day keeps the doctor away"