Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Should I stay on 1.1.1 unlocked? (week 37 phone)

Default Should I stay on 1.1.1 unlocked? (week 37 phone)
    I've got a week 37 iPhone and am still on 1.1.1 unlocked. I think I'd like to upgrade since it sounds like there's a lot of cool new features, but it seems like people are having a lot of problems with upgrades. I haven't seen a consistent upgrading method that's flawless and I don't want to risk messing up my unlocked phone.

If you did upgrade, which guide did you use? (link)

"Zibri has released ZiPhone - an incredible tool for activating, jailbreaking, and unlocking all versions of iPhones (unlock only works on 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 OTB)."

...but I don't have a 1.1.2/1.1.3 OTB phone. Will this still work?

Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Thanks

If you gonna follow the instructions right there be no problem
    1-RESTORE(NOT UPDATE) TO 1.1.4 firmware through iTunes
    2-download and unzip Ziphone (www.ziphone.org )
    3-Open it(make sure iTunes is running and detects your phone)
    4-press Do It All button
    5-Wait(white text gonna scroll on the iPhone and ITS NORMAL)
    6-DONE, you have 1.1.4 iPhone unlocked/activated/jailbroken!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It's definately worth upgrading! 1.1.1 is old school now. lol

Upgrading has never got any easier nowdays, just upgrade or restore and back up your phone to 1.1.4 and just use the latest version of ziphone and done.

Thanks

yes 1.1.1 is old school but if you want to use Ziphone,you would better RESTORE then updating lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPie View Post
    If you gonna follow the instructions right there be no problem
    1-RESTORE(NOT UPDATE) TO 1.1.4 firmware through iTunes
    2-download and unzip Ziphone (www.ziphone.org )
    3-Open it(make sure iTunes is running and detects your phone)
    4-press Do It All button
    5-Wait(white text gonna scroll on the iPhone and ITS NORMAL)
    6-DONE, you have 1.1.4 iPhone unlocked/activated/jailbroken!
    ok, a few questions:
    1. what version of iTunes should I be running? I've still got the old 7.5.0.20. Should I upgrade to the latest version?
    2. to RESTORE (not upgrade) to 1.1.4, I assume I hold home and power simultaneusly while plugged into iTunes, wait for it to shut off, let go of power and keep holding home, wait for iTunes to recognize phone in restore mode, let go of home, hold Shift on keyboard and click Resore, then point to 1.1.4 file I downloaded and go?
    3. after the restore is done, I let iTunes recognize phone again, run ZiPhone an click Do It All, and it should be as simple as that, right?

btw...thanks for all the help. I know how annoying these questions can be

Thanks

1-you should install THE LATEST version of iTunes
    2-no you just should plug in your Iphone via USB,then open iTunes and JUST PRESS RESTORE!
    3-yes,Do It All!
    Good Luck

many problems can be avoided by once u re-sync ur phone use a new profile. dont restore ur old one, many ppl reported that being the problems including zibri. make sure to backup everything u want. i used itunes 7.5 with no problems.

Thanks

you MAY use 7.5 iTunes but it is reccomended that you better use the latest version of iTunes

Quote Originally Posted by maf200311 View Post
    many problems can be avoided by once u re-sync ur phone use a new profile. dont restore ur old one, many ppl reported that being the problems including zibri. make sure to backup everything u want. i used itunes 7.5 with no problems.
    not sure I follow "use a new profile". I just finished updating to the latest verison of iTunes, plugged the phone in there are two buttons, Update and Restore. I was simply going to press the Restore button, which should take me to 1.1.4. Once complete, I was going to disconnect, reconnect and start ZiPhone. I wasn't planning on creating a new profile (not sure how to even do that). This going to be a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by mvangogh View Post
    not sure I follow "use a new profile". I just finished updating to the latest verison of iTunes, plugged the phone in there are two buttons, Update and Restore. I was simply going to press the Restore button, which should take me to 1.1.4. Once complete, I was going to disconnect, reconnect and start ZiPhone. I wasn't planning on creating a new profile (not sure how to even do that). This going to be a problem?
    what ur going to do is good. but once u connect ur phone to itunes after everything ur not going to have pics/videos/music/etc(bc u restore and that erases everything). so itunes is going to ask you if u want to put them back like u had it before. say no, it puts pics and everything back plus some settings like email and that is known to cause problems. thats what i mean about new profile, ur save settings. once u reconnect to itunes after Ziphone u'll see what im talking about. just make sure u sync everything u want and back it up. i forgot to backup my camera roll and lost some pics i liked. hope u like 1.1.4, i know i do.

ok, everything worked out perfectly! i restored 1.1.4, ran ziphone with itunes in the background and it jailbroke and unlocked the phone. took a total of 5 mins!

thanks everyone for the help! I'm def excited that this was so simple!

Nice job dev team, Zibri, Fredrik and anyone else who helped!