66. You may not vote on this poll
  • conspiracy crap

37 56.06%
  • just possible

17 25.76%
  • you have a point, apple is working to a plan

12 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1.1.4 something suspicious or conspiracy theory

Default 1.1.4 something suspicious or conspiracy theory
    OK I might be paranoid and a considered a conspiracy nut by some, but consider this:

1.1.4 is a bug fix only which updates your firmware and modem but seems quite benign and was quickly jailbroken, now its possible to activate and unlock with the help of iclarified.

Here’s the conspiracy theory bit:

What if this is part of a two part plan, consider this, we are all fooled into updating to 1.1.4 by an relatively easy unlock and jailbreak, Then when the SDK is released we all go for the next update which will be just as easy if not easier and Apple then install a time bomb which combined with this update kills the phone part and leaves you with a phat itouch. Impossible you say..........not so this scenario has been done before

the xBox was affected by a similar two stage strategy which killed it internet activity but let you use it to play alone.

Now Apple might consider this strategy thinking that as we are not contributing to there revenue stream by paying exorbitant service provider tarrifs then all we deserve is the itouch capabilility which is what they sell as an out of box working gadget.

Have I lost the plot here or does anyone think apple are up to something
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

I think Jason Bourne and Harvey Lee Oswald would agree....it's a Damn Conspiracy!

not that sure if its only conspiracy... i mean what do u think at&t says if just a few days after 1.1.4 theres an unlock again... im pretty damn sure there is a catch!not quit sure what it is, but well we'll c...ill just stick with 1.1.3 for the moment

Ok, this is ridiculous!

Apple is NOT planting time bombs in our iPhones! Why on earth would they do that?! It would damage the brand beyond belief. No you are just being paranoid!

As SJ has said before, they are not trying to brick iPhones that have unauthorised hacks applied to them, but they are not going out of their way to ensure that updates work on them either. It just so happens that very little changed in this update, and the unlock method still works.

I should imagine they do keep fixing "security holes" which are used to jailbreak iPhones, and so in doing so they stop the process from working, but they don't want to break any iPhones, they would get sued if they tried.

Quote Originally Posted by joshysquashy View Post
    Ok, this is ridiculous!

Apple is NOT planting time bombs in our iPhones! Why on earth would they do that?! It would damage the brand beyond belief. No you are just being paranoid!

As SJ has said before, they are not trying to brick iPhones that have unauthorised hacks applied to them, but they are not going out of their way to ensure that updates work on them either. It just so happens that very little changed in this update, and the unlock method still works.

I should imagine they do keep fixing "security holes" which are used to jailbreak iPhones, and so in doing so they stop the process from working, but they don't want to break any iPhones, they would get sued if they tried.
    Nobody sues over the xBox timebomb

hey I voted for conspiracy crap myself, I'm just putting out there for disccussion

Thanks

Are you off your meds?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Like joshysquashy said, this would cause, IMO, irreparable damage to the brand. While Apple is gaining market share, they don't have nearly enough to be so pompous. I have a few friends who work at Microsoft, one specifically with the Office group, and he assured me that Microsoft has knowledge of pirated versions of their software (this doesn't surprised me one bit), but also mentioned that they would never do anything about it simply because the brand damage would be irreparable. In the end, Apple and AT&T are still profitable businesses, and on a regular basis. Neither company is hurting per say, and because of it, I can't see Apple being intentionally malicious. If Apple or AT&T wanted to do something like this, they would have done so when the first security was found in BL 3.9 rather than just trusting the creators of the BootLoader to fix it.

And furthermore, I can't remember exactly what Law/Agreement it's in, but you do realize that each and every one of us has the full right to unlock our phones for use on whichever network we choose, plain and simple. While Apple can try to prevent people from unlocking, they can't punish you for doing so (other than voiding the warranty...)

In the end, while it's a creative theory (kudos, I do say), I do feel it's a bit far-fetched...

You know a friend of mines xbox got that and he was really pissed when it happenned but luckily wWE can downgrade and we have ZiPhone, even if it where to happen iIm sure devteam can fix it, they have never let us down

Quote Originally Posted by Toasterrage View Post
    You know a friend of mines xbox got that and he was really pissed when it happenned but luckily wWE can downgrade and we have ZiPhone, even if it where to happen iIm sure devteam can fix it, they have never let us down
    well at least someone else has verified the xBox timebomb, I guess everyone hopes Apple wont follow suit

Quote Originally Posted by ericidle View Post
    Nobody sues over the xBox timebomb

hey I voted for conspiracy crap myself, I'm just putting out there for disccussion
    Uh, they can't sure microsoft for the xbox timebomb. People mod the xbox for illegal reasons, and then use that illegal hardware to use their subscription service. They lose A LOT of money because of this.

Apple, on the other hand, loses no money. Sure, we're not giving AT&T all of their money, but apple is getting paid in full.

Quote Originally Posted by chibiducky View Post
    Uh, they can't sure microsoft for the xbox timebomb. People mod the xbox for illegal reasons, and then use that illegal hardware to use their subscription service. They lose A LOT of money because of this.

Apple, on the other hand, loses no money. Sure, we're not giving AT&T all of their money, but apple is getting paid in full.
    Nope your wrong there, Apple get a cut on the tarrif negotiaited with the chosen carrier, its in both thier interests to get everyone signed up. So you see Apple do lose a lot of money from hacked iphones that puts them in the same boat and M$

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

yeah... its rediculous... a good story if it were at all possible to b true, but in my opinion i agree with everyone else. it wont happen.. apple couldnt afford such a disaster

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Oh God

No conspiracy to many law suits if that happens plus i could only imagine the pr nightmare apple would face.

Banned
    Thanks

if they do that then we sue....they can not damage our own property

Quote Originally Posted by fat x nub View Post
    if they do that then we sue....they can not damage our own property
    That did not worry M$ on the xBox timebomb, why would it worry Apple, they would just say your not paying for the phone app so we killed it, and left you with the other functionality same as the itouch

they don't lose money though. They might not make as much, but how can they possibly see it as a loss? how can you lose something if you never had it to begin with? it's just not possible. ******* capitalists! (PS, I love my iPhone, and my MBP, so there!)

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

wow!
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

I'm writing the movie script right now. Does anyone have Mel Gibsons's cell number?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

agreed. Bunch of crap. Apple is not going to time bomb devices. Sets them up for a nice big class action lawsuit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast