Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G iphone 2.1 problem. please help!

Default 3G iphone 2.1 problem. please help!
    Hey guys I just got an iphone with 3g yesterday, and since I'm tmobile i got the gevey3G turbo sim. At first, everything went well, and then when I synced my iphone with itunes, it kept asking me to update itunes to 8.0 and i updated my iphone from 2.0.1 to 2.1.

I realized that I shouldn't have updated the firmware so I decided to restore the iphone and now my iphone is stuck at the "sync to itunes" mode and itunes won't read my iphone as when i sync it it says "your sim card is not blah blah" basically stating that since my sim card is not at&t, it won't sync it. Are there any solutions to this besides jailbreaking? Please help

Also, would it work if I took my friends at&t sim card, put it in my iphone, synced it to itunes to get rid of the "sync to itunes" thing, and then switched back my tmobile+gevey3d sim?

please help me asap! thanks guys!

iPhone? More like MyPhone iMack007's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrguyname View Post
    Hey guys I just got an iphone with 3g yesterday, and since I'm tmobile i got the gevey3G turbo sim. At first, everything went well, and then when I synced my iphone with itunes, it kept asking me to update itunes to 8.0 and i updated my iphone from 2.0.1 to 2.1.

I realized that I shouldn't have updated the firmware so I decided to restore the iphone and now my iphone is stuck at the "sync to itunes" mode and itunes won't read my iphone as when i sync it it says "your sim card is not blah blah" basically stating that since my sim card is not at&t, it won't sync it. Are there any solutions to this besides jailbreaking? Please help

Also, would it work if I took my friends at&t sim card, put it in my iphone, synced it to itunes to get rid of the "sync to itunes" thing, and then switched back my tmobile+gevey3d sim?

please help me asap! thanks guys!
    Hi.
    I had the exact same problem as you yesterday. Went from 2.0.1 to 2.1 and updated iTunes to 8.0.

I chose to use the latest version of Quickpawn after I upgraded to 2.1 in iTunes. After the iTunes upgrade (when I couldn't sync due to the 'wrong' sim card) I decided it best to solve the problem using my T-Mobile sim with Universal Sim unlocker, so I can always sync my phone with my own sim card (these sim + unlockers are not always easy to get back out of the sim tray ).
    In any event, it all went smoothly and syncing is back to normal, but now with my own choice of carrier. Hopes this helps a little.

^^^

yeah i'm using my tmobile sim+gevey 3D...the tmobile service appears on the iphone but the Sync to iTunes picture is still up on my iphone and syncing to itunes still leads to having it tell me that my sim card isn't at&t. any more solutions?? thanks guys

Thanks

Are there any solutions to this besides jailbreaking? Please help

I think what I quoted from you above is your only solution if you don't want to re-jailbreak it and should deffo work as it will be back to default factory settings. My only concern would be that the baseband update might be irreversible. Why not go back to 2.1?

i heard however that if i put a at&t sim card into my iphone, that'll automatically allow at&t or apple to track my iphone and make sure infact that i will be using at&t and not anything else. it this true?

my iphone is still stuck in recovery mode with the sync to itunes mode, really annoying cause my iphone is pretty useless now and i don't know what to do

Thanks

i heard however that if i put a at&t sim card into my iphone, that'll automatically allow at&t or apple to track my iphone and make sure infact that i will be using at&t and not anything else. it this true?

my iphone is still stuck in recovery mode with the sync to itunes mode, really annoying cause my iphone is pretty useless now and i don't know what to do
    I don't really know about Apple's ability to track your phone (the depth of it), but I do know that on Jailbroken iPhone with Boss Prefs installed via Cydia installer, that you can enable the Apple Killswitch, which will prevent apple from interfering with your phone and killing apps .....IF they ever decided to use their 'snooping' cabailities.

As for at&t ensuring that you can only use their sim....that's why we have these different 'Sim Unlocker adapters'.

From my experience if you sync/restore with an at&t or other official carrier, then you can only sync with that official carrier in future. But it's NOT set in stone.

You only have to insert your sim card + sim unlocker adapter of your choice and Quickpawn it to free yourself of this restriction.

Go ahead and try it. you have nothing to loose as all is reversible.

Quickpawn your device with the sim that you intend to use with your iPhone on a regular basis so you can always sync easily with itunes.

You'll still be able to use different sim cards with your iPhone afterwards providing you use your sim unlocker adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by iMack007 View Post
    I don't really know about Apple's ability to track your phone (the depth of it), but I do know that on Jailbroken iPhone with Boss Prefs installed via Cydia installer, that you can enable the Apple Killswitch, which will prevent apple from interfering with your phone and killing apps .....IF they ever decided to use their 'snooping' cabailities.

As for at&t ensuring that you can only use their sim....that's why we have these different 'Sim Unlocker adapters'.

From my experience if you sync/restore with an at&t or other official carrier, then you can only sync with that official carrier in future. But it's NOT set in stone.

You only have to insert your sim card + sim unlocker adapter of your choice and Quickpawn it to free yourself of this restriction.

Go ahead and try it. you have nothing to loose as all is reversible.

Quickpawn your device with the sim that you intend to use with your iPhone on a regular basis so you can always sync easily with itunes.

You'll still be able to use different sim cards with your iPhone afterwards providing you use your sim unlocker adapter.

would using quickpawn be on the same basis as 'hacking' or jailbreaking? I don't want to do something that'll damage my iphone since it cost me about $500(got it without at&t contract), so I don't want to do something that'll make my iphone useless.

do this and all will be well...
    download the pwnage tool or winpwn(depending on which operating system you are on), and make a custom firmware of 2.1
    it will ask you if you have a contract with at&t, say no so it will activate the phone as well as jailbreak it.
    Thats all there is to it! Now you wont have anymore sync issues with iTunes... you wont even need a sim in the phone at all.
    Google the iPhone Dev Team and all the information you need will be there... or you can just go to the pwnage section of this forum... good luck
    Last edited by reznor9; 2008-09-23 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    do this and all will be well...
    download the pwnage tool or winpwn(depending on which operating system you are on), and make a custom firmware of 2.1
    it will ask you if you have a contract with at&t, say no so it will activate the phone as well as jailbreak it.
    Thats all there is to it! Now you wont have anymore sync issues with iTunes... you wont even need a sim in the phone at all.
    Google the iPhone Dev Team and all the information you need will be there... or you can just go to the pwnage section of this forum... good luck

i use windows xp.
    will it still work if my iphone is showing that i have to sync my phone to itunes?

I'm still pretty skeptical about jailbreaking my iphone, I've jailbroken my 32gb itouch, but it seems more involved and chance of not working with the iphone 3g. Are there any reports of failed jailbreaking? or Jailbroken iphones that didn't work? Also, if I run into trouble and restore my iphone to factory settings, will Apple be able to know or tell that I've tampered with it? let me know soon guys. thanks again

Thanks

i use windows xp.
    will it still work if my iphone is showing that i have to sync my phone to itunes?

I'm still pretty skeptical about jailbreaking my iphone, I've jailbroken my 32gb itouch, but it seems more involved and chance of not working with the iphone 3g. Are there any reports of failed jailbreaking? or Jailbroken iphones that didn't work? Also, if I run into trouble and restore my iphone to factory settings, will Apple be able to know or tell that I've tampered with it? let me know soon guys. thanks again

No you'll be absolutely fine. If you don't follow the instructions properly, worse case scenario will be to re-jailbreak it via Quickpawn.

go here blog.iphone-dev.org and download Window QuickPwn 2.1.......it's really quite simple just be patient and follow the on-screen instructions. It tells exactly what to do at every step.

Firstly, I would, if I were you restore/upgrade to 2.1 via iTunes first though...it should detect that you are in DFU mode. Also borrow your friends sim card just to ensure all will go to plan and restore your iPhone 3G to factory settings.

Then follow reznor9's advise then apply the final stage below:

Once done, put in your T-Mob sim with your unlocker adapter and use Quickpawn2.1. You should be good to go after that.

P.S. I'm quite sure that the Iphone dev team have stated that none of their software can brick your iphone, so proceed with confidence. Only ZiPhone's unlocking process has been known to cause damage or permanent changes, NOT anything produced by the iPhone dev team.

PPS. No Apple won't be able to tell if you ever restore the iPhone 3G to factory settings.
    Last edited by iMack007; 2008-09-23 at 01:05 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iMack007 For This Useful Post:

mrguyname (2008-09-23)