Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WiFi Problem

Default WiFi Problem
    Hey Guys, I'm new to this forum, but not new to forums in general. I recently purchased a 2G iPhone 8g which was unlocked, jailbroken and on 1.1.4 FW. I upgraded to FW 2.0 and now i have no WIFI.

I tried almost everything I could find through searching but nothing worked. I tried re-pwning my fw, and decided it may have been a FW problem so I waited for 2.1 and had that pwned and loaded to my iphone, and still nothing.

It will sometimes locate the networks, but as soon as I click on the network, the checkmark will show up, but I will still be on the Edge network, and then all of the networks vanish.

I know it can;t be the antenna because my bluetooth works great and i don't really have any reception issues. I've done hard resets, forgotten the networks, done the "renew lease" and anything else I can think of.

Does anybody have any suggestions? When I look at a Network's Settings (DNS, IP, and such),if I even find a network to begin with, all of the values are empty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks

You say you are jailbroken, but are you unlocked (ATT or official carrier or other?) Need that info before I can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    You say you are jailbroken, but are you unlocked (ATT or official carrier or other?) Need that info before I can help you.
    I am unlocked. The phone I believe is originally from ATT but I am unlocked using it on Rogers in Canada.

Thanks

Thanks

ok I was having som very weird wifi/ssh issues since upgrading to 2.1. 2.1 seemed to fix my phone signal but wifi has been very hit or miss since jailbreaking. What worked this time anyway was to reinstall mobile substrate openssl and openssh then reboot. Plug into iTunes just until it recognized the iPhone. Then I noticed that my wifi network was set to dhcp. Now this is what my network has always been set at but I noticed the other day after upgrading it was set to static after my problem updating app store apps occurred so ichanged it back to dhcp. Well had issues with wifi connectivity after any updates through Cydia after that. I set the network back to static end so far it seems to be ok.

What worked this time anyway was to reinstall mobile substrate openssl and openssh then reboot. Plug into iTunes just until it recognized the iPhone.

Thanks for the tips, but im not exactly to sure of how to "reinstall mobile substrate openssl and spenshh". Could you give me some steps into doing so? Thanks

Thanks

You do that in Cydia. Go to "manage", "packages" and scroll to the program. press"modify", "reinstall".

You do that in Cydia. Go to "manage", "packages" and scroll to the program. press"modify", "reinstall".

Tried it and rebooted and still nothing. Anything else that I need to do?

Any suggestions anyone? Anything is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Anything?
    Last edited by midnite2.5s; 2008-09-22 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Does anybody have any suggestions, I'm really trying to get this Wifi up and running.

Thanks

Thanks

I thought my issue was fixes but wifi will still crap out on me randomly. I still can get it working by plugging into itunes, once its recognized, reboot while plugged into usb, go into settings and choose the network. Pause for a minute or so then try and open a page in safari. When you select the network in wifi settings, you should see a little spinning wheel . Wait till it stops and goes away before exiting settings.

If this still doesnt work,

DOuble check your DNS settings and ip address. if those are ok, try to renew lease in wifi settings.

Next step is to forget this network in wifi settings and reboot. Attempt to connect again.

Another issue is if you ahve encrypted wifi, the iphone does not seem to like WEP encryption. try WPA instead. Also try to disable security all together temporarily and see if you can connect. If you can, then its a configuration issue. Reset your router and then set up security anew. Attempt to reconnect with iphone.

another avenue is to see if your router's firmware needs to be upgraded.

Ive been playing with this disguised as other problems for the last few days and have pretty ,much isolated it to a wifi issue. One my son stopped home from college with 2 wireless devices last weekend and it may ave messed up the ip assignments. And two, we have FIOS and they updated teh software to add and change an bunch of channels and it messed up our DVR. All of this stuff is connected to the internet so that may have had something to do wiht it.

Right now, my son just decided to upgrade his 2G from 1.1.4 to 2.1 so he can get some appstore apps. Just finished resoring to stock and his wifi connects just fine but its still conected to the laptop.

Whenever I do manage to find a network, all of the values in DNS and IP address and so forth are blank.

Thanks

Reboot the router. I found that my wifi condition degraded to the point where occasionally the fields would remail blank as well/ I suspect that either itunes 8 and or 2.1 changed teh way the network connects or something. Ive been running perfectly all day since I did that.

I think what was happening that anytime I disconnected from the network it would go through all kinds of gyrations to get connected again. Somehow connecting via USB got it working sometimes. The router reboot did the trick. Everything else on the iphone is running more smoothly as well. Guess if its not using all its power to find the network it has more to use for everyhting else.