Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using iphone as an ipod until 3g unlock is out?

Default Using iphone as an ipod until 3g unlock is out?
    Hello all, im new here and i have a question
    I have been recently offered to buy a 3g iphone from a friend. But i would like to use the 3g iphone with t-mobile. i am aware that the dev team has not come out with a unlock tool yet, but they have the jailbreak portion done. Is it possible for me to use a jailbroken 3g iphone as a super ipod touch for now untill the unlock tool comes out so i can swap sim cards and actually use it as a phone?

Yeah, you can use pwnage/winpwn to jailbreak and "activate" the phone so you will have access to it.

Also, if your friend currently has it activated, even if he takes his simcard out and sells it to you....it should still be activated, allowing you to use it.

Also, Welcome to MMi!

That's what I did after I buying my iPhone 3G... used it as iPod touch. But after researching for several days about simcard adapter, I finally got the courage to use it for my T-Mobile simcard. I'm glad I did and now I'm using it the way it should be.
    iPhone 2G 8gb - version 1.1.4 unlocked/jailbreak (iLiberty+)
    iPhone 3G 8gb - version 2.1 unlocked (Universal Sim V550) / jailbreak (QuickPwn)
    iPhone 3G 8gb - version 3.0 unlocked (Ultrasn0w) / jailbreak (Redsn0w)

totally do-able... hope he gives you a good deal. I got my white 16G 3G iPhone from a friend for only $100... older guy at work signed on and then didnt like the phone(too complicated for him?? should have gotten a jitterbug LOL)
    I was using it as an iTouch for a while, but then got onboard with the universal sim and am using it as a phone with US Tmobile... hopefully a software unlock comes around soon, cause these sim adapters have their limitations as they arent a perfect solution. Good luck!

Wow $100 is an awesome deal. Well anyways i guess ill just buy it from him. I hope the unlock comes out soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Yeah, you can use pwnage/winpwn to jailbreak and "activate" the phone so you will have access to it.

Also, if your friend currently has it activated, even if he takes his simcard out and sells it to you....it should still be activated, allowing you to use it.

Also, Welcome to MMi!
    I was just reading your post and I THINK you answered a question I have about Pwnage for the 3G, I bought a 3G via ebay that is activated and I wanted to update to 2.1 fw but was afraid that if I simply updated via itunes8 it would then become locked and in need of activation all over again? Now that the Dev Team has released Pwnage for windows will I be safe to update and then use the new pwnage tool to jailbreak and activate? (I understand no unlock yet) Thanks for any help at all, I would hate to have the phone deactivated so I couldnt use it for even an ipod ?
    [FONT="Arial Black"]

iPhone? More like MyPhone Niner1000RR's Avatar
    Thanks

yea my girl uses my old 2G iPhone as a iPod and loves it. (no service)

Quote Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
    yea my girl uses my old 2G iPhone as a iPod and loves it. (no service)
    why isnt she using it as a phone as well? she isnt signed onto a GSM carrier?