Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Buy a non activated Iphone at Ebay?

Question Buy a non activated Iphone at Ebay?
    Hello, first of all I have to apologize for my bad English - I’m not from USA. But soon I will travel to New York and Im thinking about buying an I phone at eBay. For example this one: Apple iPhone 3G 8GB 8 GB Black Unlocked for ANY Carrier - eBay (item 260288038027 end time Sep-25-08 21:45:05 PDT)

The price is about 600 $. My question is:
    1) Must the phone be activated or can I buy an non activated one. Need I a AT&T sim Card to activate or can I activate it with PWN?
    2) I want to unlock the Iphone with Turbo sim - what are the chances that it will not work? I know nobody can say it exactly but approximately. Its too much to fraw away 600$.

Thanks everyone for any Tipp and any Help!!!
    The Dark Knight

I also bought my iPhone 2G and 3G on eBay. I think $600 is too high for iPhone 3G. I bought mine for $450. I also bought Universal Sim and pkey reader so I can unlock it and use it for my T-Mobile simcard. You don't need AT&T simcard to use it. Although you must use a simcard adapter like Universal Sim so that you can use it for other GSM carrier like T-Mobile. As of this time there is no unlock software yet for iPhone 3G but you can still jailbreak it using Pwnage or QuickPwn.

With regards to Turbo sim, I don't know anything about it since I'm using a different simcard adapter. So far, my iPhone 3G with Universal sim, everything is working properly... calls, SMS, edge, youtube, safari, etc.
    Last edited by luvmyfone; 2008-09-19 at 04:13 AM.
    iPhone 2G 8gb - version 1.1.4 unlocked/jailbreak (iLiberty+)
    iPhone 3G 8gb - version 2.1 unlocked (Universal Sim V550) / jailbreak (QuickPwn)
    iPhone 3G 8gb - version 3.0 unlocked (Ultrasn0w) / jailbreak (Redsn0w)

Use a "no cut" sim adapter. I own a Turbo SIM and the problem is the big chip on it. What happens is that if you have to pull the tray out, the cut sim card will pop out and get stuck in the phone. I had to use a bent paper clip and fish it out slowly. Hope this helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by brent91055 View Post
    Use a "no cut" sim adapter. I own a Turbo SIM and the problem is the big chip on it. What happens is that if you have to pull the tray out, the cut sim card will pop out and get stuck in the phone. I had to use a bent paper clip and fish it out slowly. Hope this helps you.
    That's what I was planning to buy at first. I saw it on eBay... no cut sim. But after researching for the best sim to use, I chose Universal Sim because it is programmable. Their latest sim is very thin but you still need to cut the sim for the chip.
    iPhone 2G 8gb - version 1.1.4 unlocked/jailbreak (iLiberty+)
    iPhone 3G 8gb - version 2.1 unlocked (Universal Sim V550) / jailbreak (QuickPwn)
    iPhone 3G 8gb - version 3.0 unlocked (Ultrasn0w) / jailbreak (Redsn0w)

Thanks to all for your answers!!! I think I will buy a Iphone soon

Does someone know if it is important to buy an activated Iphone? There are new Iphones on eBay which are NOT activated and others which are activated (which one should I take?)
    @lovmyfon where did you find a apple 3G for 450$ on eBay? Or was it used? I found only used Iphones for this price and sure its a alternative - saving 150$.

Thanks!
    The Dark Knight

I bought an iphone 3G from ebay. When I power ON. It is asking me to connect to iTunes. What will happen after I connect to iTunes? I plan to use my iphone with T-mob...and turbosim. Thanks in Advance.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    Thanks to all for your answers!!! I think I will buy a Iphone soon

Does someone know if it is important to buy an activated Iphone? There are new Iphones on eBay which are NOT activated and others which are activated (which one should I take?)
    @lovmyfon where did you find a apple 3G for 450$ on eBay? Or was it used? I found only used Iphones for this price and sure its a alternative - saving 150$.

Thanks!
    The Dark Knight
    I have the same question about whether the new jailbreak for the 3G will also "activate" a brand new iphone or one that has been unactivated (for lack of a better word) by updating to the new 2.1 fw? I was going to update my activated iphone that was activated when I bought it on ebay but was afraid it might become unactivated again? does anyone know for sure if pwnage will jb and activate? By the way I also did choose universal sim because it can be updated as firmwares change? I havent gotten it yet so cant say if was mistake or not and I paid $550 for the 3G which at the time (1 month ago) was a great price on ebay for new 3G? I cant say lately how much you should be paying but if you have the chance to go brand new for a few extra bucks rather than used I would go new! Who knows what the phone went through by being used...especially if the old owner liked to play around with jailbreaking or sim adapters etc.? just my opinion.
    Last edited by pitbulvig; 2008-09-20 at 05:19 PM. Reason: piss poor spelling : (
    [FONT="Arial Black"]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pitbulvig For This Useful Post:

samjon (2008-10-23)