Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: unlock help

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default unlock help
    Ok I have two questions, I used search and came up with a bunch of answers and no solid help

I currently have a 2g iPhone unlocked/jailbroken 1.1.4 on t-mobile service
    everything works perfect it is sync'd with my PC (at my office)

I'd like to upgrade to the most current software availible (I believe this to be 2.0.2?) That I can unlock and use with tmobile.

so my two questions are as follows
    1st what is the simplest way to upgrade and unlock my iphone? I would like to do all this on my MAC and sync everything with that instead of the PC

my second question is. what happens to everything on my phone? apps? music? contacts? if they erase how can I transfer them onto my computer (my mac not my PC) to back them up before I upgrade? (for free I found a few ways but I do not want to pay 20-25$)

thanks in advance for the help

Green Apple
    Thanks

I gotta say out of all the forums I've belonged to no matter what the forum is for this is the LEAST helpful group of people I have ever came across

Thanks

Not true. There's just lots of other identical topics with the titles "help me", "please help me", "omg I need the help", so sometimes topics slip by unnoticed.

On your mac, the easiest way to unlock would be via pwnage tool. Here's a tutorial. Everything will get blankwiped off your phone, so let itunes do a backup before-hand. This should save your contacts, but just incase, write them down somewhere since every now and then the backup files do get corrupted. To get your music back on, you'd have to somehow transfer it all to your mac if you wish to use it as your primary computer, since a backup does not save those files.
    1.1.4 apps do not work on 2.0, some of them have been ported over, but not all of them; so keep this in mind while updating. (You WILL lose a majority of your apps).

Thanks

you may want to try searching youtube

i find that there is lots of good vids there that will help you

You took the time to slam everyone so why don't you take the time to thank someone. If people are not up to your standard then don't come to MMi for help.

I think all the MMi members help and there are many posts with helpful information in these forums...
    By far MMi is better than most other outlets....
    Just my 2 cents....

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wasn't "slamming" everyone so I am not trying to be an internet tough guy, I was just saying I have posted 4 or 5 threads and replies and haven't received much individual help which is surprising because the people on this board seem to be very knowledgeable. Usually I find answers to my questions by the search but on the rare occasion I don't I haven't received answers to my questions. Sometimes when I search I find so many different answers it gets confusing and I have to ask even though I feel that I'm asking the same question as everyone else.

I appreciate the help thank you for the tutorial. Really the only app I am concerned with is the blacklist...does this work on 2.0? or do they have a similar app? also could you direct me toward a free program/app that I can transfer music/photos onto my other computer

thanks again

Thanks

Black list is available on 2.0 via cydia. There's a (limited-time) free application in the app store called "air sharing" which let's you use your phone as a wireless external harddisk, I assume that's what you need.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 461am For This Useful Post:

daceptikon (2008-09-12)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks for the help, now does anyone have experience with 2.1 yet? I'm not sure if I should go to 2.0 or 2.1 or does it even make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by daceptikon View Post
    Thanks for the help, now does anyone have experience with 2.1 yet? I'm not sure if I should go to 2.0 or 2.1 or does it even make a difference?

i just went to 2.1 last night from 2.0.2 .. its good doesnt lag as much and downloads things faster and installs faster .. i would go 2.1 while your at it .. i have a 2g 8gb on tmobile .. =D

Green Apple
    Thanks

sounds good, I'm going to upgrade today