Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Finding Out Carrier Iphone From (3G)

Default Finding Out Carrier Iphone From (3G)
    Hey guys,

I currently have a 3G iphone that i have come across and cannot seems to find which provider it is locked to. I have tried all Australian sim's the phone is under here but it still will not show any reception. I have Winpwned the phone so i can get into it, but i cannot get any reception what so ever when using any aussie sim. So, is there anyway i can find out which carrier the phone was originally bought from ?? Or maybe i have done something wrong and one of the sims do work, but i have not done a certain step.

Any help would be great. Thanks so much.

Thanks

Settings -> Carrier. Its right on the first screen of Settings. This is usually set to automatic. If you want to look for another carrier, click on the Carrier button and it will start searching for all available. Then you can select the applicable one you want.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

that option doesnt show. Its like the iphone cant see the simcard in there. Thats why i was wondering was there any other way to find out where the phone originated from. I just wanna be able to know which company its locked to and buy their sim to use it.

DJBBOY

Thanks

Your carrier may have locked this feature out, like they do with EDGE configuration. Is your phone jailbroken?

yeah i have jailbroken it and redone it a few times trying a few other options. Not to sure whats wrong..

DJBBOY

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Could it be that it is a U.S. version iPhone? We do not have a carrier selection option(which sucks!) over here.

Thanks

This is strange. I know how to enable the EDGE menu, but not the Carrier. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Thanks

With the 2G iPhone running 1.1.4 when it was first booting up I could tap Settings--->Network--->Carrier. It was only possible during the first couple of seconds of the boot. Since the newer firmwares have been out I can no longer do it. The Settings icon stays grayed out until I get a signal.

the fact that it could be a US one has crossed my mind actually. But, thing is im pretty sure it was working before on a Aussie sim. This is whats confusing. I have tried every aussie sim out there and no luck. I restored back to default and have no jailbroken. So with each of the sims i have tried, i get the sim is not supported message from iTunes.

So im guessing there is no way to find out who it is locked to, if its a overseas one, or if its even an aussie one ?

I know there is no 3G unlock but i just wanna know who it is locked to so then i can buy their simcard. Otherwise its pretty much a paper weight im guessing until unlock soloution is released.

Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

DJBBOY

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djbboy View Post
    the fact that it could be a US one has crossed my mind actually. But, thing is im pretty sure it was working before on a Aussie sim. This is whats confusing. I have tried every aussie sim out there and no luck. I restored back to default and have no jailbroken. So with each of the sims i have tried, i get the sim is not supported message from iTunes.

So im guessing there is no way to find out who it is locked to, if its a overseas one, or if its even an aussie one ?

I know there is no 3G unlock but i just wanna know who it is locked to so then i can buy their simcard. Otherwise its pretty much a paper weight im guessing until unlock soloution is released.

Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

DJBBOY
    Is there a way you can do a search using the model number or something to determine which market it was originally sold in?

thats what i was hoping, like maybe finding out if a certain serial number range was released to a certain company or what not..

DJBBOY

Thanks

Could be that the phone is stolen and is sim-barred
    To live, you have to lie