Results 1 to 4 of 4

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: BL, Firmware, Baseband (Answer could be useful to many people?)

  1. #1
    Smile BL, Firmware, Baseband (Answer could be useful to many people?)
    Hey everyone,

    I've tried reading through as many forums as possible but I'm just not getting some of this so hopefully a little bit of help will put me in the right direction. Additionally, I think some clarification would be useful for the general modders who use tools such as ZiPhone but are not quite sure how it works.

    I purchased a 16GB iPhone (so 1.1.3, most recent bootloader -4.6 i think- etc). I unlocked using ZiPhone 2.0 (ticking all three boxes) and now I have the following:

    Software: 1.1.3
    Model Firmware: 4.02.13_G
    Unlocked, activated, jailbroken iPhone.

    My questions are as follows:

    What is the difference between the basebands? If I understand correctly, some people have managed to maintain the newer 4.03 version baseband when they use ZiPhone (maybe the messages are melding together in my head :P).

    What bootloader am I likely running? My Google Maps locate me feature does not work unless I use LocateMe to start commcentre. I think that means I am running the old bootloader (as it doesn't know to start that feature?) which probably means I was downgraded in the install. From what I've read in other threads, 4.6 seems to work no problem with the Locate me feature, but Im' not sure.

    Finally, am I understanding the ZiPhone thread correctly when I say:
    My ZiPhone unlocked 16GB iPhone can be restored to it's factory state? If that's the case, would it be worth doing and then reunlocking using a newer version of ZiPhone?

    Anyways, that's a lot of questions, but I think the answers would be valuable to people other than just myself and it would be nice to have a thread for these kind of inquiries instead of sifting through >20 pages on the ZiPhone page.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Ok here's my understanding:

    Your when using ZiPhone on BL4.6 it will downgrade your baseband to 4.2.13, which means you cant use the locate me feature in 1.1.3

    However use Ziphone on a BL3.9 iphone restored to 1.1.3 and it leaves you with the 4.3.13 baseband which means you can use locate me.

    I know this seems crazy that an older BL3.9 can use the latest functions but a newer BL4.6 cant but this is because BL4.6 has not been cracked fully yet, so the baseband is the only means of achieving the unlock.

    this is why Ziphone has the facility to downgrade your BL to 3.9 as this version is much more hacker friendly. and then restore to 1.1.3, 4.3.13, leaving your BL at 3.9

    Upgrades and restores never touch your Boot Loader.

    However I've never tried to downgrade a bootloader and to me its still too risky.
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

  3. #3
    Default Wow!
    Hey! Thanks for the response. If that is correct, it is exactly what I was looking for! =) I'm sure I can't be the only person who had a question like that... I hope :P

    Can anyone confirm that's roughly correct?

  4. #4
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dongle1985 View Post
    Hey everyone,

    I've tried reading through as many forums as possible but I'm just not getting some of this so hopefully a little bit of help will put me in the right direction. Additionally, I think some clarification would be useful for the general modders who use tools such as ZiPhone but are not quite sure how it works.

    I purchased a 16GB iPhone (so 1.1.3, most recent bootloader -4.6 i think- etc). I unlocked using ZiPhone 2.0 (ticking all three boxes) and now I have the following:

    Software: 1.1.3
    Model Firmware: 4.02.13_G
    Unlocked, activated, jailbroken iPhone.

    My questions are as follows:

    What is the difference between the basebands? If I understand correctly, some people have managed to maintain the newer 4.03 version baseband when they use ZiPhone (maybe the messages are melding together in my head :P).
    04.03.13_G is the latest baseband and it is what 1.1.3 is meant to run on,


    Quote Originally Posted by dongle1985 View Post
    What bootloader am I likely running? My Google Maps locate me feature does not work unless I use LocateMe to start commcentre. I think that means I am running the old bootloader (as it doesn't know to start that feature?) which probably means I was downgraded in the install. From what I've read in other threads, 4.6 seems to work no problem with the Locate me feature, but Im' not sure.
    You are running the new BL 4.6, with old modem firmware 04.02.13_G. You can downgrade your BL to 3.9 with ZiPhone which will also upgrade the Modem Firmware to 04.03.13_G.

    Quote Originally Posted by dongle1985 View Post
    Finally, am I understanding the ZiPhone thread correctly when I say:
    My ZiPhone unlocked 16GB iPhone can be restored to it's factory state? If that's the case, would it be worth doing and then reunlocking using a newer version of ZiPhone?
    If your phone is unlocked and running fine then there is no point to "reunlock".

    Quote Originally Posted by dongle1985 View Post
    Anyways, that's a lot of questions, but I think the answers would be valuable to people other than just myself and it would be nice to have a thread for these kind of inquiries instead of sifting through >20 pages on the ZiPhone page.

    Thanks in advance!
    Hope this helped? If you have any other questions or if you need help with anything please just ask!
    My iPhone blog - Fixes, tips, etc.

    1.1.2 iPhone OTB - Unlocked to ALL networks
    - Now on 1.1.4
    - Bootloader 3.9
    - Modem Firmware 04.04.05_G

    If you find my posts helpful, please click thanks!

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to snorkrat For This Useful Post:

    pechon (2008-02-26)

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •