View Poll Results: ZiPhone or GeoHot'z Software Unlock?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • ZiPhone

81 81.82%
  • GeoHot'z Installer Software Unlock

18 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ZiPhone vs. GeoHot'z Unlock

Question ZiPhone vs. GeoHot'z Unlock
    Which is better? I mean which one causes the least problems? I don't mind a complicated process as long as I have no problems at the end. i have a OTB 1.1.3 iPhone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

don't quote me on this but i think geohotz's method only unlocks 1.1.2 OTB.... could be wrong the but id go with the ziphone because it is easier and way less risky...

NVM i thought you ment his hardware unlock... probly his.. i think there the same tho..
    Last edited by julianqm2; 2008-02-18 at 04:54 PM.
    If i helped hit Thanks!

ZiPhone used GeoHot unlock method to write up their program!

Definitely Ziphone. YYou don't have the trouble of going into emergency and jailbreaking and also, no ***ing Wifi involved here.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Wayno's Avatar
    Thanks

ZiPhone is just a wrapper for other hacks - including GeoHot's unlock (which does work on 1.1.3 too BTW).

I tried ZiPhone the other day and after watching the Apple logo on the screen for about an hour, gave up and did it 'the old fashioned way'.

GeoHot 1, ZiPhone 0.
    iPhone 3gs, running 4.2 Greenp0is0ned
    iPad 32Gb, running 4.2 Grrenp0is0ned

For me it was Ziphone inlock, via unlock.no gui interface.

Seemless.

iphone.unlock.no

Done it both ways. Both worked without a hitch. IMO a lot of problems that you read posts about are due to the organic mass sat between the keyboard and chair more than the software...

I've used both Ziphone and the soft upgrade to get to 1.1.3, the method in my signature was by far the simplest and most pain free method I've ever used and my phone is working like an OTB 1.1.3 with no issues at all
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

Ziphone uses the unlock created by geohot to unlock the phone, but he has made it into a one click process, so they are both the same just ziphone is easier. If you want the best unlock then you need to have bootloader 3.9 or downgrade to bootloader 3.9 using ziphone, and then follow this guide, it is a IPSF style unlock and so is restore resistant and upgrade resistant:

http://george.zjlotto.com/index.php/...040313_g-bl39/

If you use that unlock you get no problems with google maps or other features, and you can restore to whatever firmware you like and you don't have to re-unlock. The above link is for the manual way of doing, which i always use as i consider it to be the safest way. However if you want an easier way follow this guide:

http://www.haklabs.com/2008/the-perf...-unlock-clone/

James

Quote Originally Posted by jameselder232 View Post
    Ziphone uses the unlock created by geohot to unlock the phone, but he has made it into a one click process, so they are both the same just ziphone is easier. If you want the best unlock then you need to have bootloader 3.9 or downgrade to bootloader 3.9 using ziphone, and then follow this guide, it is a IPSF style unlock and so is restore resistant and upgrade resistant:

http://george.zjlotto.com/index.php/...040313_g-bl39/

If you use that unlock you get no problems with google maps or other features, and you can restore to whatever firmware you like and you don't have to re-unlock. The above link is for the manual way of doing, which i always use as i consider it to be the safest way. However if you want an easier way follow this guide:

http://www.haklabs.com/2008/the-perf...-unlock-clone/

James
    Well, Ziphone is different from Geohot unlock.

1. It does not alter the seczone in anyway.
    2. It allows IMEI changes.

But for most part, it is still the same.
    So, the seczone backup needed in Geohot's method is not needed in Ziphone's method.

I don't think the seczone is altered in geohotz gunlock method, which is what the thread is about, and it is the gunlock method that is used in ziphone. But if you were to choose the best method, also created by geohot, the ipsf style unlock, then this does alter the seczone. And a seczone backup is highly recommended if you use this ipsf style unlock.

james

Double post
    Last edited by jameselder232; 2008-02-18 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sureshmilton View Post
    Well, Ziphone is different from Geohot unlock.

1. It does not alter the seczone in anyway.
    2. It allows IMEI changes.

But for most part, it is still the same.
    So, the seczone backup needed in Geohot's method is not needed in Ziphone's method.
    GeoHot Unlock method didnt mess with the Seczone or the baseband this time.

GeoHot is the only one that can unlock 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 OTB, but he only did the hardest part which is the unlock code. Then ZiPhone used that and wrap it up into a complete GUI easy one click guide. Technically the god is still GeoHot. Please dont try to claim one's credit to another. Imagine if GeoHot know about this and he wouldn't care to release another unlock method for the next firmware, then we all doom!

FYI: ZiPhone did claim that they used GeoHot unlock to write up their complete pain free guide. GeoHot said he didnt alter or rewrite any baseband in this unlock.

iPhone? More like MyPhone luistohe123's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know why there's a poll for this because ZiPhone uses the Geohot'z unlocking method for 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 OTB, so its basically the same thing....just tat Zibri packed it all up.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rvlyssup's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.B View Post
    Done it both ways. Both worked without a hitch.
    Ditto here...kudos to both methods.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B View Post
    IMO a lot of problems that you read posts about are due to the organic mass sat between the keyboard and chair more than the software...
    You ain't that far away from the truth brother...I spent over 24 hours straight trying to activate, jailbreak, unlock, and to get a signal on my 1.1.2 w/a 3.9 BL 4Gig. I downgraded and upgraded so many times I lost count. I finally tried ZiPhone and took 2 minutes and 30 seconds to do all of the above...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ZiPhone is the one alright. Only it downgrades the baseband to 4.02.14 which doesn't give you that cool locate function within Google Maps. Or is there a way around this?

Quote Originally Posted by drcody View Post
    ZiPhone is the one alright. Only it downgrades the baseband to 4.02.14 which doesn't give you that cool locate function within Google Maps. Or is there a way around this?
    download and run the bbupdater (baseband updater) from the unlock.no repo (if i remember correctly)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Wayno's Avatar
    Thanks

Install LocateMe from Installer (can't remember which repo).
    iPhone 3gs, running 4.2 Greenp0is0ned
    iPad 32Gb, running 4.2 Grrenp0is0ned

Restore to 1.1.3 in iTunes and run Ziphone GUI and you will have a full working 1.1.3 iphone with googlemaps locate me feature and firmware 4.03.13

I'm using it right now without problems
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast