Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 94

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Post your 3G sim adapter unlock success stories here

  1. #61
    did you actually file down the black chip itself? No harm done?
    [FONT="Arial Black"]

  2. #62
    @iStorm
    have you had any problems yet? Do you still think v5.4 is better than v5.5 for US Tmobile? Because I am frequently losing my edge connection and have to reboot sometimes several times to get it back

  3. #63
    Yes. I did it all myself. It isnt hard to do...you can go down about 30% from the current height without actually touching the silicon.

    Just to update, it seems to still be working fine. Almost two weeks continuously with no signal loss.

  4. #64
    I just got in the universal sim adapter (newer thinner model) cut a very small piece of tmobile sim card placed in 3G (used tape to cover the entire front of the sim card and tray so would not get stuck) all still working (fingers crossed) but I wont be testing it much longer because now that Ive used the 3G I like my original iphone much better so will sell the 3G, but the universal sim I can confirm did unlock the 3G.
    [FONT="Arial Black"]

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbulvig View Post
    I just got in the universal sim adapter (newer thinner model) cut a very small piece of tmobile sim card placed in 3G (used tape to cover the entire front of the sim card and tray so would not get stuck) all still working (fingers crossed) but I wont be testing it much longer because now that Ive used the 3G I like my original iphone much better so will sell the 3G, but the universal sim I can confirm did unlock the 3G.
    I'm a bit curious on why you like your 2G better than the 3G. The 3G has everything the 2G has, except the 3G is better built, sleeker design, louder speaker, better multitouch screen metal buttons, non-reccessed headphone jack.. Plus the GPS and option of 3G if your carrier supports it. I'm somewhat baffled. I may end up reluctantly going back to using my 2G because the sum adapter unlock method is pretty unpredictable and inreliable and that's the only reason. The 3G rocks

    Quote Originally Posted by pitbulvig View Post
    I just got in the universal sim adapter (newer thinner model) cut a very small piece of tmobile sim card placed in 3G (used tape to cover the entire front of the sim card and tray so would not get stuck) all still working (fingers crossed) but I wont be testing it much longer because now that Ive used the 3G I like my original iphone much better so will sell the 3G, but the universal sim I can confirm did unlock the 3G.
    I'm a bit curious on why you like your 2G better than the 3G. The 3G has everything the 2G has, except the 3G is better built, sleeker design, louder speaker, better multitouch screen metal buttons, non-reccessed headphone jack.. Plus the GPS and option of 3G if your carrier supports it. I'm somewhat baffled. I may end up reluctantly going back to using my 2G because the sum adapter unlock method is pretty unpredictable and inreliable and that's the only reason. The 3G rocks
    Last edited by reznor9; 2008-09-23 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    I'm a bit curious on why you like your 2G better than the 3G. The 3G has everything the 2G has, except the 3G is better built, sleeker design, louder speaker, better multitouch screen metal buttons, non-reccessed headphone jack.. Plus the GPS and option of 3G if your carrier supports it. I'm somewhat baffled. I may end up reluctantly going back to using my 2G because the sum adapter unlock method is pretty unpredictable and inreliable and that's the only reason. The 3G rocks


    I'm a bit curious on why you like your 2G better than the 3G. The 3G has everything the 2G has, except the 3G is better built, sleeker design, louder speaker, better multitouch screen metal buttons, non-reccessed headphone jack.. Plus the GPS and option of 3G if your carrier supports it. I'm somewhat baffled. I may end up reluctantly going back to using my 2G because the sum adapter unlock method is pretty unpredictable and inreliable and that's the only reason. The 3G rocks
    I totally understand that most people would be curious why but my reasons may not be as good s yours why you like the 3G better, First you are right when you say the 3G is sleeker and while I agree it is also wider (which I don't like even though larger screen takes up too much room in t-shirt pocket) and yes the 3G does have metal buttons but the 1st gen has a metal back, The 3G plastic back seems to be showing up cracked by quite a few users who swear they dont know how or why? Maybe just from use, heating up and cooling causing the case to expand and contract? Will they all eventually crack? As far as the speakers once again you are right but I usually use either bluetooth for the phone or the headset for my music and also probably my biggest reason is that I use T-mobile and as we know even their new 3G isn't going to work with the iphone and like you I just dont trust the sim unlock method either, Although it did work for me just too unreliable, Who knows I may one day buy another 3G but ONLY IF a software unlock comes out, I also wanted to say that I respect your opinion very much and as far as anything about the iphone is concerned I sure as hell dont know even a fraction of what you probably do but I didn't want to just ignore your question , So these are some of the reasons I like my ist gen iphone better than the 3G (at this time anyway) I hope I made some sense at least?
    [FONT="Arial Black"]

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    @iStorm
    have you had any problems yet? Do you still think v5.4 is better than v5.5 for US Tmobile? Because I am frequently losing my edge connection and have to reboot sometimes several times to get it back
    Yeah, now Im experiencing EDGE drop in both V5.4 and V5.5 since the day I updated mine universal-sim to V5.5. Put a V5.4 back in (I got 10 of them), but the problem was still there with Edge dropping.. But Tmobile signal is still great at all time...

    Updated iphone to 2.1, and i think its hold on to the network better and tighter... Yes, less drop calls. Finally..

    Installed swirlyMMS... Works great

    For the EDGE issue, I think we just gonna wait for the next update from Universal SIm...

  8. #68
    I have read through all of these pages and so far here is what I got from them. First, Universal Sim seems to be the way to go, just a bit of filing down and a little tape and everything seems good. Second in order to update the pkeyV is required.

    Now a question. How do you obtain the files to update with the pkeyV? Is it directly from the manufacturer or from some other site?

    Is any modification of iTunes necessary? I have version 8 right now.

    Also a question @Reznor9 - when your first Universal sim broke, was it just because of the tape or something else?

    And finally, do I have to pwn my iPhone to make my phone work with just calling? But if I wanted to use the internet would I need to pwn it?

    Ultimately I just want a working solution to make phone calls, but the internet for the phone would be a plus if I didn't have to pwn it. Thanks!

  9. #69
    Unfortunatly I think that Im giving up on Universal Sim and my 3G... Im going to start using my 2G again because I cant stand not knowing when I am going to lose edge or phone service all together... Its just not reliable enough at this time. So Im reluctantly trasnfering all my stuff to the 2G and placing the 3G in a drawer until universal sim releases a new update or the dev team finds a software unlock.

  10. #70
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    bought a turbo siem it works perfect when i have reception, but once i loose it have have to reboot the phone multiple times in order to get ti back its a piece of **** im ready to sell my 3g

  11. #71
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I just used the GEVEY 3G Turbo Sim to unlock my friend's iPhone 3G about an hour. What I did was insert the turbo sim, obtained tmobile service, then I used quick pwn for mac to jailbreak it. Everything works fine, edge, text, calls, ect. but my itunes wont recognize his iphone 3g to sync it. whats the best way to fix that problem.

  12. #72
    @Reznor9

    That's quite unfortunate, I guess I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the Dev team on this as well. I'm truly not a big fan of hardware unlocks and seeing as it doesn't work so well, I guess I can be patient.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom2218 View Post
    I just used the GEVEY 3G Turbo Sim to unlock my friend's iPhone 3G about an hour. What I did was insert the turbo sim, obtained tmobile service, then I used quick pwn for mac to jailbreak it. Everything works fine, edge, text, calls, ect. but my itunes wont recognize his iphone 3g to sync it. whats the best way to fix that problem.
    You need to use pwnage tool or winpwn(depending on your OS) instead of quickpwn... pwnage tool/winpwn will create a custom firmware that will bypass activation and allow you to sync with iTunes no matter what sim card you are using, or even if you have no sim in the phone at all... quickpwn AFAIK is just for jailbreaking, mainly for use with those that have a legit contract with the iPhone providers...

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to reznor9 For This Useful Post:

    volcom2218 (2008-09-25)

  15. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    You need to use pwnage tool or winpwn(depending on your OS) instead of quickpwn... pwnage tool/winpwn will create a custom firmware that will bypass activation and allow you to sync with iTunes no matter what sim card you are using, or even if you have no sim in the phone at all... quickpwn AFAIK is just for jailbreaking, mainly for use with those that have a legit contract with the iPhone providers...
    Yup...when using Pwnage tool to jailbreak your 3G, it will ask you whether if you're using a valid carrier for your iPhone. Just click no and you'll be able to sync your phone with iTunes. I've been using Gevey-3G TurboSIM with mine.
    Motorola V70, A630,
    T-Mobile (HTC) SDA, Dash, Wing
    Apple iPhone 2G, 3G
    Favorite: Samsung A117

  16. #75
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    You need to use pwnage tool or winpwn(depending on your OS) instead of quickpwn... pwnage tool/winpwn will create a custom firmware that will bypass activation and allow you to sync with iTunes no matter what sim card you are using, or even if you have no sim in the phone at all... quickpwn AFAIK is just for jailbreaking, mainly for use with those that have a legit contract with the iPhone providers...


    Thank you, I'm in the process of buying an iPhone 3G myself and I will try that, thanks again. So i would click on "activate iphone" when im building a custom firmware right?

  17. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by gtn82 View Post
    @Reznor9

    That's quite unfortunate, I guess I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the Dev team on this as well. I'm truly not a big fan of hardware unlocks and seeing as it doesn't work so well, I guess I can be patient.
    my stealthsim worked perfectly on my 2G, back before Geohotz cracked the 4.6 baseband(those were exciting times), and I never had the problems that these sim adapters are giving me with the 3G... I wonder whats so different. But anyways, I always had to carry my 2G with me incase the 3G went out... then bust out with the paperclip, swap the sim, get signal and then swap it back.. tiresome and wasteful of my time. Im waiting... you know, even if it only happened once a month or once every 2 or 3 months... Im still having to carry 2 phones with me everywhere I go and that defeats the purpose to me... I cant use the 3G anyways cause tmobiles 3G is on a different frequency, but the GPS was kinda cool... speakers were louder, appearance was nicer..... oh well... I'll wait a bit.. but my 8gig 2G is working fine and the battery seems to last much longer on here than on the 3G. If no solution presents itself in the near future I may in time, look into trading my 16gig 3G for someones 16gig 2G... because above all else, I think I miss having all that memory...

    Quote Originally Posted by volcom2218 View Post
    Thank you, I'm in the process of buying an iPhone 3G myself and I will try that, thanks again. So i would click on "activate iphone" when im building a custom firmware right?
    not exactly.. it will actually ask you if you have a contract with an authorized iPhone provider... you select NO, and it will bypass activation for you in the custom firmware...
    Last edited by reznor9; 2008-09-25 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  18. #77
    Guys, I have spent lots on different so called sim "unlocks" here in the UK. All but one worked to start then when I changed "cells" it would drop the signal and state No Service. I would have to remove the sim card put it into another phone pull up the networks then put it back into my iPhone to work. I then came across Any Network (details below) and have used it now for over a week travelling 2000 miles across the UK and it works 100% I can change from 3G to 2G without problems and the GPS works great. I ordered the anysim one day it arrived the next. Their email/customer service is fantasic. Here is the web site if you want to try it Home - Any Network - iPhone 3g unlocking and no I don't work for them. Regards John

  19. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Prioryman View Post
    Guys, I have spent lots on different so called sim "unlocks" here in the UK. All but one worked to start then when I changed "cells" it would drop the signal and state No Service. I would have to remove the sim card put it into another phone pull up the networks then put it back into my iPhone to work. I then came across Any Network (details below) and have used it now for over a week travelling 2000 miles across the UK and it works 100% I can change from 3G to 2G without problems and the GPS works great. I ordered the anysim one day it arrived the next. Their email/customer service is fantasic. Here is the web site if you want to try it Home - Any Network - iPhone 3g unlocking and no I don't work for them. Regards John

    their site says it wont lose signal and require your to swap sim into an unlocked phone... wonder if its true... hate to spend any more money to find out.
    Last edited by reznor9; 2008-09-26 at 08:34 PM.

  20. #79
    I put it into my iPhone a nd I have never taken it out. Trust me it works a treat

    John

  21. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Prioryman View Post
    I put it into my iPhone a nd I have never taken it out. Trust me it works a treat

    John
    I dont know. You have only been testing for a week. A lot of these adapters work for a week. Some even a month. I'm just very skeptical now.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •